4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Whining noise on acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 08:48 AM

well my noise isnt the alternator due to the fact its 4000 miles old. The noise im getting can happen at idle, at moving speeds or just a rev will do it. Its like turbo sound. Its louder when im in garage or parking building. I mean you can Def hear it and turn your head thinking I have a turbo/supercharged maxima. Now the bottem line is that I dont have one! I hate bring my car into my schools shop and having everyone run up to me because they think I have a turbo maxima and seeing the dumb looks on their faces when I pop open the hood and they keep trying to find it. I still believe im the only one on the org with this kind of problem. Everyone else has a distorsion or alt whinning noise, I unfortunatly have this more serious problem that Nobody can pin point. I also use lucas oil with castrol GTX. I doubt its the oil, because its about 1300 miles old. The car got a full tune up with a changed fuel pressure regulator about 2000 miles ago. back to what I was saying before where IS this airbox? Does the power steering pump require vac of any sort? If thats the case I think it can be the power steering pump. It has a pully on it and im sure it has bearings. My old tensioner was toasted the bearings were pretty much gone. Also my belt makes a quick squeek noise when I turn it on. Does it mean its lose and needs tighting? Again I will futher look into the problem as I hope someone else on the org has the same problem and knows what it is.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:54 PM

Ok guys its offical, I had the 2 best teachers at school take a look at my car, My rear valve cover gasket is leaking on the passenger side and dripped all over my damn power steering pump. They can hear the noise coming from the rear valve cover when they put a long flat head and listend in. I was planning on selling my mevi since now I got to remove the whole top intake manifold to get to the rear gasket I might as well just install it. The thing is im going to just drop the intake on the car without hooking up the mevi as in the vac lines or wiring stuff. Will this be safe to do? Anyway those teacher's said that vac goes through those valve covers so if there is oil leaking from a gasket sure enough it will make that noise. So there you go now Im planning when to do it is there anything i should be careful of when i plan on messing up lol. Well guys thats all for me now, i was seriously thinking about selling it but since im learning to become a mechanic i must do this myself and learn. take care guys
Old 02-02-2005, 08:23 PM

free bump for those who might have the same problem
Old 08-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did the noise go away?