4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sub install help needed...(brianv)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 10:30 AM

sweetsound2001 sent me here to pose this question to you. As you have done this already.

I found a set of old SAS sub up in my parents attic. I had them in my Eclipse years ago. The doc's of course were not there. I think I have figured out away to hook them up. But the problem, I think I will have, is in the signal from the head unit or to say in the ohms.

(This is a 1 piece unit amp crossover speaker in 1. And a slave tube jump off main tube).

The subs are 4 ohms and I have heard the bose signal is less then that. Is there a unit to convert the ohm's rating to this 4 ohm's of impedance. any help would be appreciated as this is the 1st mod to my bone stock Max.
Old 04-25-2001, 04:21 PM

You're right the gain off the BOSE isn't strong enough to drive the amp. Unfortunately, you still need to get the remote off of the BOSE though so you still have take apart the dash.

Then you need to buy a high/low converter. They range from $30-$80 and take the signal from a speaker's amp and drive it to the amp. It's tricky to explain, but quite simple once you see how it works. Also make sure you turn the volts up to max on the high low that way you know it's sending the max signal.

http://www.vsdev.com/brian/system.jpg

I wired mine on the left rear speaker. You can see the blueish/clearish lines coming off of it. They goto a high/low converter (hidden in picture) and from there they're converted to standard RCAs which you use as your amps input.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2001, 04:49 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by BrianV
You're right the gain off the BOSE isn't strong enough to drive the amp. Unfortunately, you still need to get the remote off of the BOSE though so you still have take apart the dash.

Then you need to buy a high/low converter. They range from $30-$80 and take the signal from a speaker's amp and drive it to the amp. It's tricky to explain, but quite simple once you see how it works. Also make sure you turn the volts up to max on the high low that way you know it's sending the max signal.

I wired mine on the left rear speaker. You can see the blueish/clearish lines coming off of it. They goto a high/low converter (hidden in picture) and from there they're converted to standard RCAs which you use as your amps input.

Good luck!
blah.. put some seroius sound in that thing..

Old 04-25-2001, 11:31 PM

Two words for you, "Let's race!"
Old 04-25-2001, 11:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Two words for you, "Let's race!"
HAHA..you got him on that one brian...
Old 04-26-2001, 05:36 AM

Remote under dash?

Brianv can I not take the power for the remote off the power feeding the amp's on the speakers themself. In stead of running 2 wires foward?.
And this high low converter is not selectible 2 to 4 or as you wish. Pitty, If turning it up to max be more like for an 8 ohm's system? (And cause distortion).. or is the volts just to help push the signial along.

And as to Kctyphoon replied to putting some serious sound in.(hehe) I bought my Max with the Bose because I like the clean sound it produces. However I do admit I need more bass.

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2001, 02:34 PM

did someone say serious sound? two Punch XLC 12's with two 600 Watt Kenwoods? is that serious? but sad to say, brian would work my max if we raced... but i'll still sound good
Old 04-26-2001, 07:25 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by Romeo
did someone say serious sound? two Punch XLC 12's with two 600 Watt Kenwoods? is that serious? but sad to say, brian would work my max if we raced... but i'll still sound good
umm.. how 'bout 4 10" pheonix gold x-max's (carbon fiber cones) 2 fosgate 1100 a2's , 3 sets of diamond audio componet sets, and a fosgate 800 a4...mabye thats a lil too serious???? hehe... as far as the racing.. well, if i want to go fast ill just drive the typhoon thanks... why beat the ***** out of a max tryin to make it fast??