4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help with my suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 08:34 AM

Help with my suspension.

I want to know what suspension package is the right one for me. I want for me to be able and adjust if needed to get in ant out of my house, I have a driveway. My friends car have been lowered, and they have a hard time getting in cuz of the clearance. Thats why I would want to get a suspension that I can adjust. I live in chicago the streets are not the best, and have cold and hot. What do you guys suggest. Money is not a concern.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

this should help a bit http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?...andling.....by the way, you might want to check out the stickies- you dont want to get killed by asking a question that's in there already
Old 01-23-2005, 08:58 AM

sorry bad link. use this

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaHandling
Old 01-23-2005, 09:01 AM

So you want height adjustabilty? That would be coilovers. You can't always be adjusting them though. First it takes some work (have to jack up the car) and the car has to be realigned every time.

This might help http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?DrivingLowered.

Here's the main page. It has info on all the different lowering products and where to get them http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaHandling.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Terran
So you want height adjustabilty? That would be coilovers. You can't always be adjusting them though. First it takes some work (have to jack up the car) and the car has to be realigned every time.

You will throw off your toe alignment settings everytime you adjust the height of the suspension. Do you want that?
Old 01-23-2005, 10:39 AM

well I wont be adjusting it every day just once so I can get in and out. and that will be set.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:54 AM

If you figure out how much height you can sacrifice, then you could just go for a regular suspension set up. Something like H&Rs, H-techs, Tokico springs, or eibachs would only take about 1.5"
Old 01-23-2005, 11:10 AM

ok Ill do that, I will place the car and see how much I can drop it without the muffler hitting the ground.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by VeeQueue

You will throw off your toe alignment settings everytime you adjust the height of the suspension. Do you want that?

didnt know that about coil overs
Old 01-23-2005, 01:30 PM

Damn! I'm getting scared now, everyone talking about how shi**y their cars ride after doing suspension and lowering springs and 18" rims! Iam allstock now and love the smooth comfortable ride. Really second guessing about doing Illuminas and H&R springs. I may just put 18" wheels on and stop there. Is the Illuminas set at #1 with H&R springs a very close to stock ride? Anyone know? Maybe the wheel gap is a small price to deal with just to have a Maxima ride like a Maxima.... Any thoughts?
Thanks
Jeff
Old 01-23-2005, 01:35 PM

check the suspension portion, I've been hearing an H&R setup plus tokio something is the best ride plus good looking drop.

stay away from drop zone springs.
dont get s-techs with gr-2 (from what I hear, they will blow eventually)
adjustable stuts might be best for you so you can adjust to get the perfect feel.

and dont get super low profile tires for your 18s they will cause harsh ride as well.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy

check the suspension portion, I've been hearing an H&R setup plus tokio something is the best ride plus good looking drop.

stay away from drop zone springs.
dont get s-techs with gr-2 (from what I hear, they will blow eventually)
adjustable stuts might be best for you so you can adjust to get the perfect feel.

and dont get super low profile tires for your 18s they will cause harsh ride as well.
Thanks man, what size tire do you think would suit me best. Do you happen to know what each number in a tire size means? Height, width, etc? Like 245 40-18, what number means what. What number is the sidewall height? And is the higher the number, the smaller the sidewall or vise versa?
Thanks so much
Old 01-23-2005, 01:59 PM

245-40-18 for example:

245: tire width
40: rim circumfrence
18: size of tire

someone correct me if I'm wrong cause I dont think i'm acurately explaning it.

this will help with calculating how big you can go, or just in getting acurate sizes that wont jack up your odometer.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I would suggest getting some 17's but you can get any size you want, if your more performance then find out how much the wheel and tire will weigh and compare that to 43Lbs for stock wheels, then you can guess how much acceleration will decrease, increase, or stay the same.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:02 PM

245-40-18 for example:

245: tire width
40: rim circumfrence
18: size of tire

someone correct me if I'm wrong cause I dont think i'm acurately explaning it.

this will help with calculating how big you can go, or just in getting acurate sizes that wont jack up your odometer.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I would suggest getting some 17's but you can get any size you want, if your more performance then find out how much the wheel and tire will weigh and compare that to 43Lbs for stock wheels, then you can guess how much acceleration will decrease, increase, or stay the same.
Damn, quick reply! Anyway, which number is the sidewall height? Obviously I'd want a little higher sidewall for more cushion.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:12 PM

yea I'm on here too much . . .

second number 40, that will either give more tire, or less tire, the lower the less.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:59 PM

yea I'm on here too much . . .

second number 40, that will either give more tire, or less tire, the lower the less.
Yeah me too. Thanks man I appreciate your help and useful QUICK responses.
Enjoy your warm weather, while us a-holes up here in the N.E. dig out of 3 feet of snow that fell last night.....
Jeff
Old 01-23-2005, 03:01 PM

no prob I miss the snow, used to live in Toronto and I loved it, but I've never driven in the snow before.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:11 PM

no prob I miss the snow, used to live in Toronto and I loved it, but I've never driven in the snow before.
Man, you don't know what you're missing..... If you love it, then we'll just switch identities.... You come up here and deal with the white sh**. and I'll take the shorts weather...
ttyl
Jeff
Old 01-23-2005, 03:18 PM

LOL, I loved shoveling the snow when I was younger, clearing out the drive way, it was kool.

but dont worry its pretty nippy down here too, its at the high of 37 right about now, but I'm sure you have that beat.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

didnt know that about coil overs
This is happens even if your car isn't lowered. Whenever the suspension moves the toe will change slightly due to the combination of the suspension geometry and how the tie rods are connected to the knuckles (off-centered). After you strike a bump and return to static ride height the toe changes slightly and returns to normal. If you are changing the height of the suspension you disturb that setting so you have to readjust the toe setting back to spec relative to the new static ride height.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:26 PM

LOL, I loved shoveling the snow when I was younger, clearing out the drive way, it was kool.

but dont worry its pretty nippy down here too, its at the high of 37 right about now, but I'm sure you have that beat.
Oh yeah! It's -1 right now. So don't talk to me about your balmy 37! , I'll take it!! I shoveled my whole driveway this morning while all my a-hole neighbors used snowblowers! Plus the wind was kickin up 50mph, so every time I threw a shovel full off to the side, the wind blew it back in my face!! I was gonna freak......... ( lol )
Old 01-23-2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMABOY
Damn! I'm getting scared now, everyone talking about how shi**y their cars ride after doing suspension and lowering springs and 18" rims! Iam allstock now and love the smooth comfortable ride. Really second guessing about doing Illuminas and H&R springs. I may just put 18" wheels on and stop there. Is the Illuminas set at #1 with H&R springs a very close to stock ride? Anyone know? Maybe the wheel gap is a small price to deal with just to have a Maxima ride like a Maxima.... Any thoughts?
Thanks
Jeff
BUY THE H&R'S, AND BE DONE WITH IT!!! I'M OLDER THAN YOU, AND OCCASIONALLY CART MY GRANDMOTHER AROUND IN THE MAX - THEY'RE FINE, TRUST ME!

No matter what rim/tire combo you put on your car, it will always look primed for off roading without a drop. The stock setup has the travel and comfort of an American sedan, whereas the H&R / Tokico combo is a tighter more responsive suspension, more characteristic of stock European autos.

I too, agonized over this decision for a few weeks, and couldn't be happier I did it. At first, the ride will feel a bit rough, but will settle after two weeks or so. Don't worry much during this interim phase, it will pass! I've not looked back, and I now enjoy a tighter ride that's relatively smooth.

If you're feeling sporty, tighten up the Tokicos to 3 or higher, and for the elder taxi duties, 1 is perfectly fine.

my .02

PS I'm on 5th generation alloys(16" w/ 225's). I'd consider scrapping the 18" wheel idea if you want a cushy ride. 16" or 17" tops, I'd recommend. Not to mention, those 18"'s will look utterly ridiculous if you do not lower. On large wheels and low-pros, the wheel well MUST hug that tire, or it'll appear pretty $h!tty!
Old 01-23-2005, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by badmaxx
BUY THE H&R'S, AND BE DONE WITH IT!!! I'M OLDER THAN YOU, AND OCCASIONALLY CART MY GRANDMOTHER AROUND IN THE MAX - THEY'RE FINE, TRUST ME!

No matter what rim/tire combo you put on your car, it will always look primed for off roading without a drop. The stock setup has the travel and comfort of an American sedan, whereas the H&R / Tokico combo is a tighter more responsive suspension, more characteristic of stock European autos.

I too, agonized over this decision for a few weeks, and couldn't be happier I did it. At first, the ride will feel a bit rough, but will settle after two weeks or so. Don't worry much during this interim phase, it will pass! I've not looked back, and I now enjoy a tighter ride that's relatively smooth.

If you're feeling sporty, tighten up the Tokicos to 3 or higher, and for the elder taxi duties, 1 is perfectly fine.

my .02

PS I'm on 5th generation alloys(16" w/ 225's). I'd consider scrapping the 18" wheel idea if you want a cushy ride. 16" or 17" tops, I'd recommend. Not to mention, those 18"'s will look utterly ridiculous if you do not lower. On large wheels and low-pros, the wheel well MUST hug that tire, or it'll appear pretty $h!tty!
Thanks for your input, Maybe I'll consider 17s. Maybe I'll be able to deal with 18s though for 6mos. Because the other 6mos around here is winter and I'll have my snows on my stock 16s.
Thanks
Old 01-23-2005, 03:45 PM
brotherhood of tq

i say get any rims but 17's cause they look to damn small.
get coilovers cause its just a great way to go.
and i money is no option then have someone build u a custom set-up
Old 01-23-2005, 03:46 PM

i've got S-techs and with the stock wheels/tires it rides a little bumpy

but i just got a set of hub rings for my 18" wheels, and to tell you the truth it rides very smooth and any harshness has dissapeared

i've also got a 245/40 tire and i haven't had my suspension feeling this good ever
Old 01-23-2005, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
i say get any rims but 17's cause they look to damn small.
get coilovers cause its just a great way to go.
and i money is no option then have someone build u a custom set-up
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, 17s too small.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by A Flood99

but i just got a set of hub rings for my 18" wheels, and to tell you the truth it rides very smooth and any harshness has dissapeared

i've also got a 245/40 tire and i haven't had my suspension feeling this good ever
What are hub rings? I don't think I've ever heard of them.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:52 PM

Are those wheels in that pic, the Alessos or something, the f1s?
Old 01-23-2005, 03:55 PM

i didn't really know about the "hubcentric rings" either until about a month ago when i was pissed at how my car rode with my wheels.....so then i did some investigating and our cars have hub centered wheels which means they are not lug centric(the lugs do the centering)......so basically w/o hub rings my wheels were not centered on my hub causing some vibration and stuff
but with the rings....its like night and day, my max feels like it came from the factory with 18" wheels

my alessio wheels are the supers, the F1's have slightly thinner spokes
Old 01-23-2005, 04:11 PM

i didn't really know about the "hubcentric rings" either until about a month ago when i was pissed at how my car rode with my wheels.....so then i did some investigating and our cars have hub centered wheels which means they are not lug centric(the lugs do the centering)......so basically w/o hub rings my wheels were not centered on my hub causing some vibration and stuff
but with the rings....its like night and day, my max feels like it came from the factory with 18" wheels

my alessio wheels are the supers, the F1's have slightly thinner spokes
Thanks for the info. Where does one get these hub rings? And how much are they? Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:22 PM

i ended up getting my set from Alessio; but there are a lot of websites out there that offer them.....actually discount tire has a bunch for around 8 bucks a pop......and the maxima has a hub bore of 66.1" then you just have to figure out what your aftermarket wheel bore is and match em up
Old 01-23-2005, 04:29 PM

i ended up getting my set from Alessio; but there are a lot of websites out there that offer them.....actually discount tire has a bunch for around 8 bucks a pop......and the maxima has a hub bore of 66.1" then you just have to figure out what your aftermarket wheel bore is and match em up
Thanks man, you rock!
Old 01-23-2005, 04:33 PM

oh definitely, glad i can help....they are definitely worth looking into if you have aftermarket wheels