4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

EGR, Fuel System, & KS problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 11:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

EGR, Fuel System, & KS problem

I finally became a member to this forum so I could ask a few questions. Within the past few months, my car seems a lot slower, gets much worse gas mileage than it used to, and has trouble starting.

On the way to the dealership, to show how slow its gotten, I went to pass someone on the highway WOT, and a Honda Odyssey passed me. That was proof that my car actually is slower and its not just my imagination. Its an automatic, and hesitates to downshift, even when Im giving her plenty of gas.

The gas mileage has gone down considerably, to 13 MPG. I dont drive like a grandma, but I dont fly around town as fast as possible either. My gas bills the past few months have been almost $250, and thats just not something I can afford.

When I go to start it, either in the morning, afternoon, or night, and the engine is cold, it will run. But it sputters for a second or two and then dies. The only way to start it and keep it running is to just feed it gas for about ten seconds, then its find and it smooths out.

At the dealership, they told me that a KS code came up on the diagnostic thing. Labor is $70 per hour. The KS is like $164, but they are saying that it could either take one hour, or five because of the difficulty of getting to it. So my labor charge could be $350 or $70, but they will not know until they get to work on it. They said I need to have a "Fuel System Service" which is $89 as well as an "EGR System Service" which is $210. Then they gave me a listing of prices for different gaskets and tubes and such.

My car has been well-maintained, and Ive always taken care of it. It has 126k miles as of this afternoon. I did all the usual stuff to check for the problem originally...new fuel filter, cleaned the K&N air filter, checked the spark plugs, etc. I run premium gas, always have. The tires are aligned and balanced and have the right pressure. I dont really know what else to do, but the dealership is saying that this could potentially cost be $910 plus tax...which is something like...$965.

Are these things going to solve my problem? I have looked at lots of other threads on here involving some of these things, but based on the things that the dealership told me, is there one single thing I should get done first to see if it will fix things? As a full time student, I just dont have $965 to throw around.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:42 PM

Sounds like the stealership is trying have you bend over.

Jiffy lube will flush out your fuel system for $50.
The knock sensor is about $175. It is a little difficult to get to. There is a write up in the sticks so you can do this yourself. This is a one hour job. How do they not know how long it takes to do things? They do these things all the time. My advise would be to take it to a different place. They are obviously bullsh*tting you.
I'm not too familiar with the EGR valve, but there is probably a write-up in the sticky's. From what I've heard, it's not that difficult to change.

As far as your gas milage concerns, clean your throttle body (should help you idle better). It could also be an O2 sensor.

Heres some solid advice if you want to not get raped, dont take it to the dealer as your first option. Make it your last. Get yourself a Haynes manual, and a good set of tools. The labor is what kills, and if you have the time to fix it, DIY.

Read the stickys in this forum if you have a problem. Check the ECU sticky, you can then self diagnose to see if you have any other check engine codes.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:57 AM

Do a self diag test, tell us what codes you come up with it...Lots of people in here will help you with your dilemma.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:44 AM

Group deal on knock sensor is rumored at $85 shipped
Old 01-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had my EGR valve replaced for emmision reasons. If I remember correctly it was about $65 and an hour or two for labor. Plus any place is going to charge you to check for OBD codes, even if you tell you know what the problem is. At least that's been my experience. That can be anywhere form $60 up $120 in my experience. My car did run better after having it replaced. Plus, make sure your idle is not junked up with carbon deposits, my was and once they cleaned that out it made a difference as well.

The dealership is full of it like adithius said. Thay do that kind of stuff every day and charge twice as much. My advice is ask all of your friends and family in your area if they have a mechanic they really trust and if that mechanic works on nissans.

Hope that helps.