4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help with front wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

help with front wheel bearing

hey anyone know how i can get the old bearing off the hub/steering knuckle? i can't get the steering knuckle off so thats a problem too. the tie rod and swing arm are on there really good and i can't get them off. if anyone has any tips or advice it'd be greatly appreciated. and could i just take the hub, knuckle, and new bearing to a machine shop and have them do it? please and thank you
Old 02-02-2005, 08:44 PM

The tie-rod has some special kind of nut on it. The Hayne's manual tells you how to get it off. I was taking all that stuff apart when I replaced an axle a few weeks ago. I have air tools, so that helped tremendously. I imagine a lot of those components are on there really tight, especially the axle nut on the outside of the steering knuckle. The only other way to do it would be to have a large breaker bar and get jumping on it.

I've never replaced a wheel bearing, but hopefully I've been able to give you a couple things to start with. Let us know what you find out as you do it.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

you were right about air tools. i ended up buying an impact wrench just for this job. it was all going very smoothly until i got halfway done. i got the cotter pins and nuts off the tie rod and knuckle but the just don't want to come off. should i just beat at it till it comes loose or what? and that little abs sensor thing...how does it come off? i took the bolt off and pried until it cracked and its still stuck on there. i'm optimistic though, 10 minute job once i get the new bearing in. oh and how much is an actual bearing puller? thanks again
Old 02-02-2005, 09:37 PM

are these things still being stubborn even with an impact wrench? that would really be something. don't underestimate the power of spraying some liquid wrench, pb, or wd-40 on there to soak and help loosen things up too. do you have a hayne's or similar service manual? sometimes they have some tricks or special steps listed in there that make things easier.

i don't know anything about the ABS sensor as my car isn't equipped with that system. never used a bearing puller either.

keep at it though. there have been plenty of times working on something where i almost said screw it and wanted it towed to a shop. but so far i've always stayed with it, and in the end felt a lot more knowledgeable and proud of my work.