4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what security do you use

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Terran
What did that cost installed? I don't really need remote start (especially given the concensus that it's bad to let the car idle).

Another thing: You guys with DEI products...can you still unlock the car with the key? It may seem like a little thing, but it really annoys me when cars start going off because you didn't use the remote. Also, what if the batteries die...is the car basically inoperable until you replace them or can you just use the key?
I'm not sure exactly. I had it installed with a deck, 2 amps, 4 boston acoustics and a pair of subs. I'll post the exact dollar amount when I find the reciept. Its in the boxes somewhere.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:31 AM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

Originally Posted by Terran
What did that cost installed? I don't really need remote start (especially given the concensus that it's bad to let the car idle).

Another thing: You guys with DEI products...can you still unlock the car with the key? It may seem like a little thing, but it really annoys me when cars start going off because you didn't use the remote. Also, what if the batteries die...is the car basically inoperable until you replace them or can you just use the key?
There is a valet switch you can use in conjunction with a valid key. The valet switch can be programmed to respond to a given number of presses. The alarm maker had to anticipate you might forget to put a battery in the remote (and it eats up loads of battery power).
Old 02-09-2005, 05:55 AM

Autopage 2-way remote start alarm
Old 02-09-2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 98SMG
Here are some pics as promised. Believe me - not that easy to break.

Just like the Club, this lock sucks too. And just like the Club, they won't cut the lock itself, they'll cut the steering wheel and in this case they'll cut the shifter shaft, completely ignoring the lock and shift gears with the stub left behind.

Best security system is a kill switch to the fuel pump and/or starter and the AutoLock on the clutch pedal. It's not too bad on the brake pedal but you can always use the e-brake. Any alarm system that will go off when the window is smashed or door is opened.

Done.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:18 PM

come on mul-t-lock is the best lock you can get that set up goes over $250 installed i dont think people whould buy that stuff if it would be sh*t regular alarm installed starts of with like $50 and goes up to like $600 where did you see club costing $250 for no reason?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by S103100F
come on mul-t-lock is the best lock you can get that set up goes over $250 installed i dont think people whould buy that stuff if it would be sh*t regular alarm installed starts of with like $50 and goes up to like $600 where did you see club costing $250 for no reason?
The Multilock itself is solid. That's why the cut the shifter shaft totally bypassing the lock. Not hard at all.

And alarms... all they're good for is noise and convenience features like keyless entry, car starter, window up/down, etc. As far as protecting the car, they're all very comparable.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:37 PM

If they really want to steal the car - nothing will stop them. But we talking here about most common thiefs, and for them mult-lock will be very difficult to bypass.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:27 PM

My Toyota truck came with this from the factory. When the chip is removed, the engine will crank but not start. I think this is a good way although this is not an ignition kill because that defeats the starter in the first place. This will let the engine crank only. I tried looking for this company on the web to see if they'll sell them to individuals but it looks like they are an OEM company for major automobile manufacturers.

Originally Posted by Igobuk
Just like the Club, this lock sucks too. And just like the Club, they won't cut the lock itself, they'll cut the steering wheel and in this case they'll cut the shifter shaft, completely ignoring the lock and shift gears with the stub left behind.

Best security system is a kill switch to the fuel pump and/or starter and the AutoLock on the clutch pedal. It's not too bad on the brake pedal but you can always use the e-brake. Any alarm system that will go off when the window is smashed or door is opened.

Done.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by 98SMG
If they really want to steal the car - nothing will stop them. But we talking here about most common thiefs, and for them mult-lock will be very difficult to bypass.
Cutting the shifter shaft with a hacksaw is hard ? It's the same thing they'd do to the steering wheel with a Club. All it takes is a few seconds.

Besides, it looks like crap in the car.

Now, if you put the Multilock on a stick shift car, yes, it'd still look like crap but it would be MUCH more effective because you'd really have a tough time shifting gears with just a nub.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
My Toyota truck came with this from the factory. When the chip is removed, the engine will crank but not start. I think this is a good way although this is not an ignition kill because that defeats the starter in the first place. This will let the engine crank only. I tried looking for this company on the web to see if they'll sell them to individuals but it looks like they are an OEM company for major automobile manufacturers.
Unfortunately with a properly placed bubble gum wrapper that key is useless.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Make the car stock and you should be fine. Anything that's appealing to the nake it will attract attention.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:29 AM

True but you'd need a soldering iron or something to keep it in place once you stick it in the connector. That key plugs very snug, not even a hair can fit in there. Good imagination though.

Originally Posted by simreal
Unfortunately with a properly placed bubble gum wrapper that key is useless.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
True but you'd need a soldering iron or something to keep it in place once you stick it in the connector. That key plugs very snug, not even a hair can fit in there. Good imagination though.
No imagination needed. I bought an 04 Ranger had the same type of system. If you choose not to buy the system .. they insert a similar key that just doesnt have a handle. You cant remove it without a screwdriver. Although if you do remove it you can use a multimeter to tone out the runs (pins) and bypass it completely.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:12 PM

STOCK ALARM!!!!

Fortunately I don't have a system.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:45 PM

Hmmmm.....you sound like a pro. Your typical neighborhood thief won't be that sophisticated. We're talking ghetto thieves here. Pro's won't even touch cars like ours unless they have a really high dollar reason too. They usually stake out exotic cars to chop and sell. And even then, they won't waste their precious 60 seconds toning out pins and what not.

Originally Posted by simreal
No imagination needed. I bought an 04 Ranger had the same type of system. If you choose not to buy the system .. they insert a similar key that just doesnt have a handle. You cant remove it without a screwdriver. Although if you do remove it you can use a multimeter to tone out the runs (pins) and bypass it completely.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:20 PM
blah

Who knows what thieves are doing nowadays. All you need is google.com and 60 seconds and you could probably figure out how to bypass 90% of factory installed alarms.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:04 PM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by Max96GLE
Make the car stock and you should be fine. Anything that's appealing to the nake it will attract attention.
were the hell is the fun in that ..lol
Old 11-07-2006, 03:04 PM
nycmaximas member

Originally Posted by Igobuk
Cutting the shifter shaft with a hacksaw is hard ? It's the same thing they'd do to the steering wheel with a Club. All it takes is a few seconds.

Besides, it looks like crap in the car.

Now, if you put the Multilock on a stick shift car, yes, it'd still look like crap but it would be MUCH more effective because you'd really have a tough time shifting gears with just a nub.
I agree...

I could imagine a stripped out, joy riden car looking like crap aswell...

Concerning the cut shifter... its a bit tougher cutting the shifter due to angle and limited space, than the steering wheel...Its not going to take a few seconds to cut it... And how would you push the button realeasing the shift lock w/ no shifter? It doesnt just slide, right?
Theives like quick access... Not complicated hard work to take something...
Old 11-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Han

I use the Alpha Lock...Most theives I imagine will be saying WTF when they see it and move on...Even my wife thinks it's crazy. Most people aren't going to mess around with changing a tire and if you're really paranoid you can always run two of these at opposite corners...

Only about $140 and really easy to use...just don't forget it's on! I just throw it in the trunk.

http://www.alphalock.com/

I also keep nothing in the car...
Old 11-07-2006, 06:00 PM

Just put an inflatable doll in the drivers seat. It will look like someone is in there.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:04 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Originally Posted by VTMaxima
Just put an inflatable doll in the drivers seat. It will look like someone is in there.

Would that be the doll you sleep with!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:08 PM

Nope not me, I was hoping he already had one and could drag it out of bed in the morning and put it to work in his car.