4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

sprint/agx sucks...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by VQuick
It's pretty much accepted around the Org that Illuminas are superior in terms of durability when compared to the KYB AGX. Many people have had their rears blow on them, so 1FSTMAX is just the most recent victim.

GTR and Tony, I agree except instead of the Tokico springs I went with TEIN High Techs, which are similar but have a larger F/R drop differential, which was important to me because I have a 5-speed and didn't want the front to sit high. (Most aftermarket Maxima springs seem to be designed for autos since most Maximas are autos). The drop is 1.6" front and 1.2" rear, and honestly, I wish the front drop was even lower. They are good springs though, but I haven't ever driven on the Tokico springs so I have no firsthand basis for comparison. I usually have my Illuminas on 3/4 or 4/5, but in late fall I started to get unhappy with the ride. It took me too long to realize it was just the cold temperatures. I put them on 1/1 and finally the car felt comfortable again.
I did forget to mention that. The front doesn't settle as far as the rears, i didnt' think about the transmission i was figuring it was because i had system in the truck, but good point the 5 speed is way lighter than the auto tranny. As of now the've both settled to about the same but they don't give u the agressive drop where the front is lower than the rear as most people like unless u have an auto. Maybe eventually i'll switch to H-techs in the front and keep my illuminas in the rear, that should make up for the difference in height... but i'm too lazy to attempt that anytime soon. As far as handling i'm still very happy with the pure illuminia setup and maybe if i put a kit on the extra height in front will be beneficial.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
i just checked my rear agx, and they are blown.
What setting do you have them at?
Jae
Old 02-09-2005, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
What setting do you have them at?
Jae
4/8..........
Old 02-09-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Oblongshapes
GC + AGX=pwn

btw arent agx lifetime guarenteed?

yea they have lifetime warrantee you could call them up and get a free replacement that shoul hopefully last you another 100K
Old 02-09-2005, 01:09 PM

If that is so, how come some of the orgers who are selling their AGX's say that the warranty on theirs are no good?

Originally Posted by MDeezy
yea they have lifetime warrantee you could call them up and get a free replacement that shoul hopefully last you another 100K
Old 02-09-2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by maxima8624
and guess how sprint + illuminas do
I should've went straight to true coilovers instead of all these spring setups
YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN! i wish i would have went with a coilover setup instead...
Old 02-09-2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
If that is so, how come some of the orgers who are selling their AGX's say that the warranty on theirs are no good?
every set of KYB struts I looked at said lifetime warrantee, so I want even if I'm 70 years old and I blow my struts want a replacement.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:48 PM

That sounds good to me. Some have said that using progressive springs (which most are anyway) voids warranty. I visited KYB's website and no info regarding lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted by MDeezy
every set of KYB struts I looked at said lifetime warrantee, so I want even if I'm 70 years old and I blow my struts want a replacement.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by passEMonTHErite
Sooooo....
Are you saying AGXs would be good on different springs?

no, they'd propbalby suck either way. i have them on H&R's, and if that isnt smooth, then nothing will be on AGX's. get illuminas, thats waht ill probalby do
Old 02-09-2005, 03:25 PM
This is a democracy

so H&R's w/ illuminas is a smooth ride? h techs would give a little lower drop and a little harsher ride, correct?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Chassis Freak

Don't forget to cut your bump stops or buy new KYB dustboots (which include bump stops)...most people don't realize they are hitting their bumpstops on every bump because the stops compress progressively, so your ride will be sh!tty if you're lowered at all unless you do this. Do a search for bump stops, there are tons of threads about it.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
Maybe they bought it from people not authorized to sell them? An example could be ebay, or group deals if it's 1 person setting it up and not through a bigger company.

I got my Illuminas from Stillen. Stillen costs more than other places, but their exchange program is "no questions asked", which's important to me and struts.

Is it true that KYB's are not both-ways adjustable? Like you can only adjust compression or extension?

Jae
Old 02-10-2005, 03:43 PM

So I assume warranty is non-transferrable if that person decides to sell it to someone else.

Maybe they bought it from people not authorized to sell them? An example could be ebay, or group deals if it's 1 person setting it up and not through a bigger company.

I got my Illuminas from Stillen. Stillen costs more than other places, but their exchange program is "no questions asked", which's important to me and struts.

Is it true that KYB's are not both-ways adjustable? Like you can only adjust compression or extension?

Jae
Old 02-10-2005, 06:16 PM

does sprint / agx handle worse than stock
Old 02-11-2005, 04:38 AM

Hell no. My car will run circles around a stock maxima.

And just for everyone's info, i almost NEVER hit the bumpstops. Ever...
Old 02-11-2005, 05:07 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Stillen costs more than other places, but their exchange program is "no questions asked", which's important to me and struts.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA!

*breathe*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA!

Whew, that was a good one...
Old 02-11-2005, 05:21 AM

Jae
Stillen sucks and everyone here and other forums know this. "No quesitons asked" program? Hmmmmm........seems to me that they ask a ton of questions to avoid helping anyone who has a problem with products purchased through them. Plus, Stillen is run by a whole bunch of losers that no nothing about customer service. They act like everyone wants to be them or something.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by nismology
And just for everyone's info, i almost NEVER hit the bumpstops. Ever...
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...2&postcount=50
Old 02-11-2005, 10:44 AM
The original VQ...

for those that want coilovers, dont go with a sleve spring style...

I am upset cause i orderd D2's, i paid for them in DEC. and i wont be seeing them for another 2-3 weeks (if even that) , im prrity pissed and now i hear more people are having problems with them.

Dnt rush and go with teins or JIC's.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:45 AM

Ummm...ok. I'm using the KYB dust boots which already have a shortened bump stop.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
for those that want coilovers, dont go with a sleve spring style...

I am upset cause i orderd D2's, i paid for them in DEC. and i wont be seeing them for another 2-3 weeks (if even that) , im prrity pissed and now i hear more people are having problems with them.

Dnt rush and go with teins or JIC's.

JIC's have problems too..
Old 02-11-2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
i must say this suspension setup sucks monkey *****. I just installed es bushings, and got my car aligned, but the suspension travel isnt there. If i take a turn too fast, i feel the frontend bottom out. This is with the AGX set to full stiff all around. During normal highway, and crusing the suspension feels comfortable. The looks are awsome from this suspension setup. Anyways.. it's time to get true coilovers...
Mine is the same i got the same setup and the same problem, problably a stupid ques but can i put any drop springs on the AGX??
Old 02-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by flyby
Mine is the same i got the same setup and the same problem, problably a stupid ques but can i put any drop springs on the AGX??
Yes. The original poster's problem is not the struts, it's the springs. They are too low.

Use anything with a drop in the 1.0 - 1.5 inch range and you'll be fine.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:14 PM

does anyone know the spring rates of sprint springs, and tein s tech?