4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OD light blinks, no codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OD light blinks, no codes

I haven't really received any input as to what the problem for my blinkind OD light and RPM drops could be. The mechanic thought he fixed it since he said the wires weren't routed properly from the transmission to the ECU. The problem came back again. It doesn't happen to much on bumpy roads anymore. It also occurs if I'm descending down a bridge and slowing down. I though the motor mounts may be causing it. Keep in mind that I had the rack and pinion replaced. The problem started the day after it was installed. I checked the transmission twice for codes, and no codes were given. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:23 PM

something was not done right by your mechanic, How much did you pay to have the steering rack replaced and did it make huge improvemant in road feel and ride quality?

Nick
Old 02-08-2005, 09:57 PM

The car still handles the same in a good way. Ride quality feels about the same if not slightly stiffer. However, I noticed that my when I turn all the way to the left, the front of my rim rubs on the against the engine firewall. A tech at Firestone said that since the rack is basically new, the car's camber and toe are perfectly within factory spec, and that my rims are wide. I guess years of wear had pushed the camber out further than original factory on the old rack. Therefore, he suggested that I should either go back to stock rims or don't turn all the way to the left.
I only replaced the rack because another mechanic, freind of my father, said that the seals were bad and leaking power steering fluid and advised that it would be best to replace the rack sooner rather than later. Initially, I was just going to replace the inner and outer tie rod on the passenger side. This all started when I went for an alignment after having my front struts replaced. Firestone stated that I had play in the inner and outer tie rod end. That led to getting the whole rack replaced.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:09 PM

I want to know how those places diagnose play in inner tie rod,
how much did you pay to replace the rack?

Nick
Old 02-09-2005, 11:56 AM

I would like to know also. At first I thought Firestone was just telling me this to get money out of me instead of letting me use my free lifetime alignment. However, my dad's mechanic agreed about the play. The price to replace the rack was $150. I talked to my dad about the problem and he relayed to me what the mechanic specifically said about the wires. He noted that the wires to the ignition swicth, cluster, and radio were all tangled and all over the place under the console. My dad recommended that I take it to an auto electrition since it's an eletrical problem. Previously, the problem went away when the mechanic moved the wires around under the console, but it came back. I have to wait till next Monday or Tuesday after my medical exams.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:27 PM

The auto electrician says there's nothing wrong with the wiring. The problem is still there! The prevoius mechanic said something about an OD switch not working properly. Has anybody experience with this switch? Could this switch be the culprit?
Old 02-17-2005, 12:32 PM

Free bump

The car is going back next week to the mechanic that installed the rack in the first place. Maybe they can figure out this OD switch business. It sucks because they're swamped with work till next week. Oh well. Why do I have to get stuck with undiagnosable problems?