4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

$1000 Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 12:09 AM

$1000 Fuel Injectors

I bought a '95 Maxima with 92k miles about two years ago and have put on about 26k miles since then. I paid about $5,600 because the interior was in practically NEW condition and it ran a clean Carfax report. Until the 21st of Feb, the car has run great and I've had no issues. On that day, I bought some new tires from a local tire shop that has a good rep around here (Cains Tires in San Rafael). When I got the car back, the idle was very rough and I immediately asked one of the employees to check it out. He drove it around the block and said the tires are fine but mentioned the engine might be missing.

I drove it down the street a few blocks and called a local Nissan garage (Greenbrae Automotive) who said to stop driving because the lug bolts may not be fully tight. I then called Cains Tires and spoke to the manager. He had his guys drive it back and re-balanced the tires. The guy who back my car up (before I first got it back) said he heard a "clink, clink, clunk" as if something 'dropped' under the hood.

Anyways, after I got it back the problem was gone. However, halfway home I felt the engine missing again and felt a rough idle while parking. I dropped it off at Greenbrae Automotive. After a test drive and $40 scan, I was told that the issue was one of the following:

bad fuel injector
bad spark plug
bad ignition coil
bad o-ring leaking oil and causing a short

I was told I needed to pay $120 in labor to determine what exactly the problem was. I was also told this was similar to "opening Pandora's Box." A day later, I get a call and he tells me that the 3rd fuel injector is clogged. He goes on to say that I he recommends replacing all 3 injectors on the forward side because it will take 4-5 hours to get at the injectors. He said he already tried cleaning it out and tried using the ‘old trick where you tap “it” with a screwdriver.’

He quoted me $675 to replace the bad injector or $1000 to replace all three. What should I do? I bought this car so I didn’t have to deal with this sorta stuff. My brother’s 325i seems to be more reliable than my Maxima.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:21 AM

Also, while I'm spending so much money in labor taking apart the engine should I bother replacing/upgrading/cleaning else?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:31 AM
I never narc'd on nobody.

seems awflly steep... cant you do this yourself? heres a write-up: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/443899/2 id suggest always doing your own stuff if you can, youll save beacoup money that way.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:38 AM

thanks for link bro, but i've never worked on my car before. if you think a total newb can do it, i'm willing to spend the time/effort because i dont have that money broke. but, after about 60 hours it will be cheaper to just give him the cash.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:51 AM
I never narc'd on nobody.

well, i would suggest at leats shopping around, because the writer of that how-to said it took him 3-4 hours, and the mechanic is saying 5-6, but hes supposed to be a pro, so it sounds like he just wants more money. so, whatever you end up doing, id say shop around. im pretty new too, but id probably try to tackle this, but then again, i am quite mechanically inclined if i do say so myself.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If there is a problem with a front injector, that takes about 5 minutes to replace. 15 for all front 3. If you've never done it...it probably takes an hour (for all 3)...considering you're prolly looking around at your friend that is helping you, and wondering if you're doing it right. If it's just a front injector that is misfiring, I wouldn't mind charging you $500 and hour to replace 1 or 3.

The rear injectors could take about 3 hours, if that is the case.

It be surprised if he could tap the 3 injector with a screwdriver....that's a hard one to get to.

Anyway, learn to read codes. Maybe you're getting a #3 cylinder misfire, (if it's not that noticeable, it's prolly a coil pack).
Old 02-24-2005, 01:55 AM

The check engine light isn't even on.. Will the http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html work?

Mechanic needs to know by tomorrow @ 10am if he should order the parts...
Old 02-24-2005, 02:11 AM

sounds like you got the shaft it these probs didnt happen until after you went there
Old 02-24-2005, 03:29 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

well if your gonna let him rape you, call up jerryromenissan.com and talk to ken athas. their fuel injectors are $92.56 each OEM. i would suggest you to do this by your self.and you should replace all 3 but keep the 2 that are still working cuz if one goes they all usually go.

tools you will need
1)torque wrench
2)phillips screw driver(for fuel injector cover cap)
3)the correct socket for the intake manifold
4)maybe some tape to mark off things you unplug.

Things you need to buy or aquire
1)de-torquing procedure
2)intake manifold gasket (1403238U00)
3)fuel injectors (1660096E01)
Old 02-24-2005, 09:19 AM

thanks for the info kill crap
Old 02-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd run some Chevron Techron thru the engine first!! That only costs $6.00 at Walmart. Due to the low mileage on the car, the injectors might just be dirty!!
Old 02-24-2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by PLUMMAXSE
I'd run some Chevron Techron thru the engine first!! That only costs $6.00 at Walmart. Due to the low mileage on the car, the injectors might just be dirty!!
Ehh I don't know about that, but I suppose it would be worth a shot.

And yeah, do the job yourself, you will learn quite a bit about your car, and save some mad cash. Saving that $700-800 in labor could buy a new exhaust, ypipe, and other fun goodies along the way (and yes, install them yourself too!).
Old 02-24-2005, 09:48 AM

I've replaced all six injectors but none of my coils in my 95' and it only has 80K.
A good mechanic should be able to replace the back 3 in two to three hours.
Parts needed:
3 injectors, intake manifold gasket, Upper EGR tube gasket. Total Parts = $300
Old 02-24-2005, 09:59 AM

If you do end up doing it yourself don't forget about the EGR Valve Gasket. It is a pain in the *** to get back on and to put the bolts in at the same time. That was the hardest part of the whole process. The first time I did it I ended up stripping the thread because I couldn't hold it all on and put it in at the same time. I had to re-thread the hole and that sucked. But I could do it all again in half the time it took the first time.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:24 AM

unfortunately, I don't have the time because I'm busy with heavy loads of school and work. I told him about your price quotes, and he said that's below what his supply charges him. Looks like I'm going to be raped, because he won't budge in price. **** there goes my hard earned cash.

thanks for the info tho, now I know how much im being cheated
Old 02-24-2005, 11:29 AM

One E-bay someone is selling the fuel injectors (6) with the rail on them for $99. I dont know what year they are from or if it matters. check it out.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:50 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

funny when people tell you your engine might be missing...
Old 02-24-2005, 03:23 PM
SLOW

Oh... My... God...

I've heard of highway robbery, but this is the single most insane thing I've ever heard. I'm glad you checked the .org before going through with this. Couple of things, never go back to that mechanic who told you it would be $1000 to replace 3 front fuel injectors. Here are the reasons why

I just sold 18 fuel injectors to someone for $200 (used but in perfect working condition, out of my old car and a friend's old cars, all maximas).

Replacement of the front 3 fuel injectors can be done in literally a half an hour. They are right there, in plain view, and require nothing more than a phillips head screw driver to remove the caps that secure them in place, and a pair of flat head screwdrivers (or a special little injector removal tool) to pop out of the fuel rail. There are 2 screws securing each injector in place, and sometimes they can be a bit corroded and tough to loosen at first, but a little effort will get them loose in a few minutes.

The rear injectors are much harder to get to, but since it's just the front one that needs replacing, you don't need to worry about that. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. I can even take some pictures detailing the removal of them if you like.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:35 PM

Obviously we need to know if the bad injector is indeed the front, as stated in the original post? if it is, then the OPoster need to not pay $1k for it, or even go to that mech ever again. If there was a mistake, and it's a rear injector, well again don't go to that mech, since everyone here seems to think it's about a 3 hour job, not a 5-6.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:13 PM

help is here

take it to a nissan dealer and let them trouble shoot it. go from there.
rc engineering can clean your injectors, for 27.50 each. take a bout a week.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:46 PM
eturnl

wanna get something done right, you gotta learn, and do it yourself. i dont let no one touch my car! im no mechanic, but im turning in to one!

Old 02-25-2005, 06:26 AM

I hope your mechanic? is using some vaseline... I think you are being screwed big time. Learn to work on you own car. There are plenty of experienced folks on this forum that would be glad to point you in the correct direction. Working on a car is not that difficult. Just take time and have patience. Go by Sears and get you a 3/8" drive socket set and a set of combination wrenches and a set of screwdrivers. Pick up a cheap DVOM
and you have enough to handle almost any job on your Max. Oh yea get you a Haynes manual for your vehicle.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Hooooooonda.....

All I have to say is DAMN. $5600 for a 95? Wow, you paid at least $1500 too much. Yeah, they tried to rip you on the injectors too. You didn't tell them what you paid for the max beforehand did you?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:11 AM
blah

Originally Posted by eturnl
wanna get something done right, you gotta learn, and do it yourself. i dont let no one touch my car! im no mechanic, but im turning in to one!
Amen to that

600 to change A fuel injector

I think the the tire guy and your wonderful mechanic are working together.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by mdma
The check engine light isn't even on..
Hello, did everybody reading this thread miss this very important fact?

Do not let the mechanic do anyting to your vehicle. I suspect your being taken for a long ride on a short road.

Put a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner in 1/2 a tank of fuel and see if that clears it up. You can also clean your throttle body yourself, it's very easy to do and helps restore proper idle control.

Start with the basics and see if you can clear up the idle with some TLC. Don't replace parts until the check engine light comes on or the car really starts to run poorly.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:44 PM

And check carefully to make sure that he didnt just disconnect a wire to yout injectors or s/t similar to make it run bad and then his $1000 fix will consist of just plugging the wire back in.