4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

so downshifting=bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 08:40 PM

People need to stop the misinformation on this thread BTW
Old 04-15-2005, 05:18 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Kinger402
Larry thanks for jumping on my band wagon. I have been driiving a stick since i was 16 as well. And if you actualy know how to drive a stick. you will not wear outyour clutch ...the downshifts will be smooth as an automatic...and the deceleration even smoother than braking.....many people do not even know that i have a standard because i shift so smoothly and indescritly......learn to shift correctly and u will save brakes..and your be under more control with downshifting....as far as the gas comment....RPMs does not mean how much gas your engine is using....Larry is right it is how much your throttle body is open
- you still have to rev up your engine to make a smooth downshift = wasted gas. If you don't rev up the engine, then = wasted clutch.

- downshift engine braking is not perfectly consistent like brakes can be. You can smooth out the shifts, but anytime you shift gears you will stop decelerating and then the next gear you will decelerate again. If you can think physics; downshifting cannot apply a constant deceleration like brakes.

There isn't much wrong with the practice, but let's face it - it's very rare to heatsoak brakes in street driving, so it's basically unnecessary.

Dave
Old 04-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
- you still have to rev up your engine to make a smooth downshift = wasted gas. If you don't rev up the engine, then = wasted clutch.

- downshift engine braking is not perfectly consistent like brakes can be. You can smooth out the shifts, but anytime you shift gears you will stop decelerating and then the next gear you will decelerate again. If you can think physics; downshifting cannot apply a constant deceleration like brakes.

There isn't much wrong with the practice, but let's face it - it's very rare to heatsoak brakes in street driving, so it's basically unnecessary.

Dave

do you really think blipping the throttle is wasting gas? i mean please tell me your kidding! from now on i wont drive up hills cause thats a waste of gas too then. listen...you have no idea what you are talking about...downshifting does apply a constant deceleration like i said earlier i can come to a complete stop w/ just downshifting. w/ the throttle body closed the compression of the pistons makes the car slow down. anyone who knows how to drive a stickshift properly downshifts when needed.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by larryseibel
wrong...the engine helps braking alot more than you think. i can come to a complete stop at a stoplight w/ barely using the brakes by downshifting. those of you who put the car in neutral and apply the brakes to stop instead of downshifting will go through brakes alot faster. been driving a stick since i was sixteen and have yet to wear a clutch out.
Ok...let's clear some things up:

You wear the clutch disk any time you cause the clutch disk to come into contact with the flywheel (under load); you wear the TO bearing any time your clutch is disengaged.

If you downshift to slow down, you have to: (parenthesized text signifies wear)
disengage clutch (TO bearing); engage clutch in lower gear (disk); disengage clutch when stopped (TO bearing)

If you use the brakes to slow down:
disengage clutch (TO bearing); engage clutch in neutral

You can clearly see you're engaging the clutch under load when you downshift. This wears the clutch. Whether it's insignificant or not, that's a matter of opinion.

As for engine braking: if you are suggesting that your engine (in any gear) can slow you down more than your brakes can, I suggest you tell Motor Trend to redo all of their 100-0 tests. The brakes alone can lock all 4 tires...they don't need any help Furthermore, you're putting more stress on your engine doing this. Why? To save $80 on pads? Think long term. Clutches are more expensive to replace than brakes...as are engine internals. And let's not even get into the impact on our glass transmissions.

Oh, not to outdo you guys or anything, but I've been driving stick since I was 15...that's almost 14 years. But that's irrelevant.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:31 PM

I don't think anyone is downshifting to replace just braking. Such a person would be a moron to think they can stop their car equally by downshifting instead braking. As I previously stated several posts ago, I downshift in assisting braking especially when going around a bend or curve. Keeps your car under control and gives you better acceleration when exiting. Some people are quick to interprete other peoples' opinions of the benefits of downshifting as doing so solely instead of using their brakes and achieving the same result. It's an idiotic assumption!

Everything in your car wears, even the very seat you sit on day in and day out as you drive your car to and from work and other places. Friction = wear, no matter what subject it may be. As for braking and locking up your wheels, it would be a suicidal thing to do so as traction loss is inevitable if a car is not equipped with ABS. My car isn't equipped with ABS which is why I downshift especially when negotiating a curvey road or fwy exit ahead as I want to maintain control of my car. It's a common sense thing folks. On the contrary, it would be an awefully wasteful thing to downshift everytime you slow down and stop at a light if it isn't called for. When I downshift, I always rev-match and double clutch and that's my preference. And I'm fully aware that our transmission doesn't need a double-clutch, still its my preference, and that's how I learned how to drive manual transmission. Whether I wear more of one part or not, it doesn't matter to me because as I drive my car daily, I'm wearing everything in it.

BTW, Im 37 and been driving manual transmission since my first car in my sophomore year in h.s. My first car was a '77 Toyota Celica. My current car has almost 140k miles on original clutch.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:22 PM
R34

These posts have points scattered in most of the posts. They are based on each individual's habit in driving. In downshifting area, I don't think there's a precise concept of downshifting. Unlike the upshifting, we need to know what's the optimum rpm to shift the gear.

Been driving stick for 20yrs. Some people say wear the clutch some people say save the break and etc, but the most important thing to downshift on regular driving:
- To assist your brake to stop the car.
- Keep the car in control (that's why we have manual shift)

When to downshift? I used the rpm as my guide. I shift up around 3000 -3500 rpm; I hit the clutch less at 3000rpm on any gear on regular driving.

Why? By the time you shift, rpm reading will be around 2k or a bit more and car will not rev too much, hope will save a bit of gas, and comfort of driving is still there for the passenger at least.

The best way to keep the clutch from wearing off too much, keep your foot off the clutch pedal. Good practice. I had a Honda accord (now 98 Maxima ) with 187k and stock clutch on it. I only replaced my clutch once.

Since I do not race, I don't have any comment on racing downshifting. My 2c