4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

anyone try taking off their dash kit? any success?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 11:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

anyone try taking off their dash kit? any success?

title pretty much says it all? a few pieces got kinda screwed up, bent (and are impossible to bend back perfectly) while installing, anyone try to tear these pieces off? thanks for any input.

-Brendan
Old 03-22-2005, 07:32 AM

the part with the head unit or the ones around the vents???
Old 03-22-2005, 07:44 AM

i really would wanna replace the ones areound the center vents and the one aroud the head unit. but curious if anyone has tried to take any part off and if they were successful. cuzi would imagine it would be difficult and it would leave a trail of glue, but might be able to get off. thanks

-Brendan
Old 03-22-2005, 07:54 AM

no its not that hard u just take a flat head screw driver and a rag and put it in the first crack right below the center vents. then u just stick it in there and push down and keep on doing it along the crack and it should undo. b/c all it is is alittle glue and its just snapped it and u can just snap it right back. i had to do that alot b/c i wanted to move my head unit down to the last slot. good luck with it u can just send me a message if u have ne questions or if this thread moves.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:05 AM

i took mine off after 4years of being installed. I just used a hairdryer, goo-gone and rubbing alcohol to remove the excess residue. By the looks of the kit after de-install, they could never be reused.

Ant
Old 03-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Zero, I just did this. My '99 SE (bought a few months ago) came with a wood kit. While I have a wood kit on my '96 and do like it, I just wanted something different. And the main reason I got the wood kit for the '96 was because I hate the fake GLE 'wood'. Se's have a nice all-black look. Anyway, more info. than you needed, I'm sure. Back to your question. O.k., here's what I did. I used a blow dryer (do not use a heatgun, just a blow dryer on hot). This helps maybe 20-25%. It certainly does not make it easy, just easier. Don't even bother heating the whole piece because it cools too quickly. Concentrate on the corner/side you will be starting on. Let it heat up for a while. Then either start pulling slowly at an accessable corner with your fingers or do what I did at about 1/2 way through my job (a light bulb went off) and use fishing wire. Either way, don't expect or even try to remove the panel clean the first time. Don't try to save it (you can't), don't think twice about bending/breaking it, don't think you'll get all the left-over 3M sticky tape goop off at your first pass. Just concentrate on getting the panel itself off first. If you use your hands, don't scratch your finger nail up against your stock panels. If you use a fishing wire, pull both ends of the wire toward you as you pull across the panel. Do not allow the wire to drag across any part of your stock interior. Like I said, don't try to get all the goop right now, just get the piece off first. Oh, and use gloves if you use fishing wire. Use strong fishing wire and wrap it around your hands (with gloves!) several times. When the panels are off, now go back slowly with Goo-Gone. Put it on and let it sit a while. Then start rubbing slowly with a soft cloth. Keep your cloth soaked and turn it to a clean area frequently. It helps 10% to use a blowdryer at this point but not really necessary. Goo Gone leaves a little residue of its own so clean that up when you are all done with a safe cleaner. Then Armor-All your dash to death. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2005, 08:19 AM

god damn u think u wrote enough and making it all technical and sh*t ur goin to confuse the kid i just told him all he needed to kno.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Zero, I just did this. My '99 SE (bought a few months ago) came with a wood kit. While I have a wood kit on my '96 and do like it, I just wanted something different. And the main reason I got the wood kit for the '96 was because I hate the fake GLE 'wood'. Se's have a nice all-black look. Anyway, more info. than you needed, I'm sure. Back to your question. O.k., here's what I did. I used a blow dryer (do not use a heatgun, just a blow dryer on hot). This helps maybe 20-25%. It certainly does not make it easy, just easier. Don't even bother heating the whole piece because it cools too quickly. Concentrate on the corner/side you will be starting on. Let it heat up for a while. Then either start pulling slowly at an accessable corner with your fingers or do what I did at about 1/2 way through my job (a light bulb went off) and use fishing wire. Either way, don't expect or even try to remove the panel clean the first time. Don't try to save it (you can't), don't think twice about bending/breaking it, don't think you'll get all the left-over 3M sticky tape goop off at your first pass. Just concentrate on getting the panel itself off first. If you use your hands, don't scratch your finger nail up against your stock panels. If you use a fishing wire, pull both ends of the wire toward you as you pull across the panel. Do not allow the wire to drag across any part of your stock interior. Like I said, don't try to get all the goop right now, just get the piece off first. Oh, and use gloves if you use fishing wire. Use strong fishing wire and wrap it around your hands (with gloves!) several times. When the panels are off, now go back slowly with Goo-Gone. Put it on and let it sit a while. Then start rubbing slowly with a soft cloth. Keep your cloth soaked and turn it to a clean area frequently. It helps 10% to use a blowdryer at this point but not really necessary. Goo Gone leaves a little residue of its own so clean that up when you are all done with a safe cleaner. Then Armor-All your dash to death. Good luck!
definitely the most helpful here. thanks a lot man, maxinitout - ya not really helpful, but thanks for the reply. im not trying to leave the pieces underneath, i want to put a new kit on, so i wont have to get it perfect just enough for it to stick. thanks guys

-Brendan
Old 03-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxinitout
god damn u think u wrote enough and making it all technical and sh*t ur goin to confuse the kid i just told him all he needed to kno.
2. You can never have too much info. Ptatohed takes the time the spell everything out, and you give him a dig? It's rare these days to find good, useful info, and here you are knocking it. Let Zero decide for himself what he considers useful/non useful info.
3. Ptatohed's response isn't technical at all
4. Ptatohed's response isn't confusing at all. Makes perfect sense to me.
5. Your so called "technique" runs the risk of scratching/damaging the panels.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally Posted by maxinitout

Hey Rudey,

1. Sorry I offended you by providing more (and accurate) information than you did.
2. Why do I get the feeling that if you were the one asking for help and someone provided you a detailed answer, you wouldn't complain?
3. Sorry you are so easily confused (seems like you're the only one).
4. No, "u" didn't tell him all he needed to "kno". I don't even think you answered his question!!! What does the center vents have to do with anything? He is talking about an entire (aftermarket) stick-on kit. The kit covers everything from the vents to the radio to the shifter panel to the window switches - not just the vents.
"b/c all it is is alittle glue and its just snapped it and u can just snap it right back."
What the heck does that mean?! And what does it have to do with Zero's question about removing a stick-on kit?!
5. In the future, I would think twice before ansering a question incorrectly and then putting down another member who actually spends the extra time to share his/her knowledge, in detail.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

damn, i broke my shifter trim and heater trim trying to pry off the dash trim. im going to wait until summer, when its nice and hot