4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CV joint will not go back together

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Maintenance Monster

CV joint will not go back together

I'm attempting to reassemble the outer CV of my pass side axle. The motorvate site shows putting on a new snap ring, placing the splines together, and tapping them in with a hammer. Haha, just tap it in.

Well tapping, hitting, smashing doesn't work. I don't have the benefit of a vise to hold the driveshaft though. I've tried to recenter the ring about 6 times now and it doesn't seem to matter. I'm really pissed and I can't figure out what's wrong.

Help before I throw this f**king axle across the yard and into the woods.

Dave
Old 04-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sometimes that clip is a son of a b_tch. But if you start to smash it in chances are you gonna need a new clip. If it's out of round then it's really hard to get back in. Also I wouldn't use a metal hammer directly, Try to a bock of wood on it then hit that.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Maintenance Monster

I think you're right, the clip is getting stretched out. The bugger is that putting the clip on the axle is what stretches it. I think I need a snap-ring pliers that can stretch it over with minimal distortion to the ring. I'll also take the axle to a place with a vise so I can have better control over my mess.

The hammer is actually a dead-blow mallet, so the block of wood is unnecessary.

Dave
Old 04-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Maintenance Monster

The answer:

First, give yourself a head start by compressing the ring as much as possible once it's in the groove.

Second, put the grease in the back of the joint behind the bearings, and in the base of the boot against the axle, but not on the splines. Also, rotate the joint about 30° so that you can clearly see the splines.

Third, gently align and slip the axle into the joint splines until they touch the ring. Do not hammer on it yet. While keeping light pressure on the joint, using a very thin flat bladed screwdriver to reach in and press the ring into the groove. The pressure you are putting on the joint will hold the ring down once the screwdriver pushes it into place. This method is immensely less stressful than trying to get the ring well centered and all that.

Now tap the joint fully onto the axle with the hammer. It should go on very easily. Slide the boot onto the joint, and leave one side cracked open. Squish the rest of the grease into the joint, rolling the grease tube like you're working with the last bit of toothpaste. Now go to the opposite side, use the screwdriver to gently pry a place for air to escape, and smush the boot some to get some air out.

Finally, fasten the metal band but be gentle in the area where the band folds over itself. I got a little zealous with the hammer, and the tapping broke one of the bands.

This method took me about 2min per joint.

Dave