4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

oil in firewall driver side spark plug area. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 03:53 PM

oil in firewall driver side spark plug area. What to do?

Hey guys

In my quest to determine what's wrong with my car, i was verifying my ignition coils... i pulled out the coil and noticed the spark plug drenched in nearly a half inch of oil...

i'm assuming this REALLY isn't good... What needs to be fixed? Gasket i'm assuming?

Thanks guys :-)
Old 04-10-2005, 06:37 PM

most likely its just a seal or gasket, it happen to mines and i just changed all 3 seals on firewall side
Old 04-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by multiplexor
Hey guys

In my quest to determine what's wrong with my car, i was verifying my ignition coils... i pulled out the coil and noticed the spark plug drenched in nearly a half inch of oil...

i'm assuming this REALLY isn't good... What needs to be fixed? Gasket i'm assuming?

Thanks guys :-)
Your "spark plug valve cover seals" are shot...the intake manifold needs to come off to change those...there are three and are a pretty commen place for a leak...I usually just have oil on the threads of the rear plugs...Ill change the seals in the summer
Old 04-10-2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by matty
Your "spark plug valve cover seals" are shot...the intake manifold needs to come off to change those...there are three and are a pretty commen place for a leak...I usually just have oil on the threads of the rear plugs...Ill change the seals in the summer
ah, cool

could this also cause misfiring of the spark plug / coil problems?

My car has been stalling every so often... thus me going through all the coils and stuff

How much would you estimate this to cost?
Would you recommend this for DIY work? Doesn't sound very hard....
and finally hehe it sounds like something which would take an hour to complete..... maybe 2 hours... would I be correct in assuming this?

Thanks again
Old 04-10-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by multiplexor
ah, cool

could this also cause misfiring of the spark plug / coil problems?

My car has been stalling every so often... thus me going through all the coils and stuff

How much would you estimate this to cost?
Would you recommend this for DIY work? Doesn't sound very hard....
and finally hehe it sounds like something which would take an hour to complete..... maybe 2 hours... would I be correct in assuming this?

Thanks again
having a shop do this job, like Nissan AKA stealership, itll be close to $600

Its Not really an easy job..I think its a pretty difficult job. Taking off the Intake manifold is No joke...getting the back bolts off, to the manifold bolts being trqed down to the right FT lbs...[SIZE=2]( GET A TOURQUE WRENCH FOR THIS>>>VERY IMPORTANT ) [/SIZE] and tighten them up in the right sequence

The first time I did it, my skill level, it wasnt too hard. just TIME consuming...Alot of misc. bolts just keep track where they go. And also replace your intake manifold gasket too when your I/M is off.

If you have the money, put on a MEVI while you have your Intake manifold off

get a Chiltons and read that first...itll give you some insight in taking it off..
Old 04-10-2005, 07:40 PM

Its Not really an easy job..I think its a pretty difficult job. Taking off the Intake manifold is No joke...getting the back bolts off, to the manifold bolts being trqed down to the right FT lbs...[SIZE=2]( GET A TOURQUE WRENCH FOR THIS>>>VERY IMPORTANT ) [/SIZE] and tighten them up in the right sequence

The first time I did it, my skill level, it wasnt too hard. just TIME consuming...Alot of misc. bolts just keep track where they go. And also replace your intake manifold gasket too when your I/M is off.

get a Chiltons and read that first...itll give you some insight in taking it off..
lol a mevi... hmmm... i had been considering getting one for the longest time... this might be incentive for it... hehe

the mevi is really just the intake manifold with a switch and some small parts right... hmmm would make for a good summer project...

I'm going to do some research... I had a brother who used to be in mechanics and a cousin who used to rebuild engines for fun( don't ask, I don't know why... lol ) maybe I could get their help for this... hehe

lol so far on my list then....

mevi
ignition coils
coolant temp sensor
fun times.... :-/ hehe

Thanks
Old 04-10-2005, 08:15 PM

Just curious quickly... I read just just a second ago about 00 maxima VI's on 4th gens... can this be ordered? Or are people simply grabbing them from used 5th's? I was reading that they make better gains than the MEVI.

Just curious
Old 04-11-2005, 08:45 AM

It can be done but its not a bolt on...you need to use a 4th gen lower intake manifold, but you need to drill that out and make new holes for the 5th gen upper intake manifold. there are alot of custom things that need to be made

-matt