4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Does The Cat Converter need to be replaced??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Does The Cat Converter need to be replaced??

The catback portion of my 99 maxima is on its way to the grave so I figured I get a few estimates for the job. Folks at Pepboys looked at the eroding system and told me I need to replace the cat converter as well. The reason they give me is that the flange from the converter is welded to the flange of the intermediate pipe. even the bolts that secure it together are welded. Is that true? My 99 Maxima has california exhaust. I was told that if they are unable to seperate the two flanges they will need to replace the cat converter. There is some rust on the flanges, but I would think there is a way to salvage the cat converter. Anyone here have any experience with this? Any ideas to save some money?
Thanks inadvance..
S
Old 04-19-2005, 07:41 AM

The flanges should be bolted on together, which is why there are bolts there in the first place. If they can't seperate the flange by removing the bolts, all they have to do is drill the bolts out and replace the studs. Otherwise you can do it yourself if you have a drill. They are probably going to charge you an arm/leg just to touch the cat+the cost of a new cat.

Whats the reason for the failing cat? Are you getting any codes? The rear most 02 sensor is suppost to keep track of the main cat. Cats typically aren't suppost to fail on its own. Something else will cause the cat to fail.

I would get a second opinion elsewhere. If the flange is really welded on there, they would just have to cut right after the it and weld on a new catback without touching the cat whatsoever.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:48 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

tell them to stick it, the cat is not welded to the b-pipe. it is secured by 2 bolts and a flange gasket.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Loe max
Whats the reason for the failing cat? Are you getting any codes? The rear most 02 sensor is suppost to keep track of the main cat. Cats typically aren't suppost to fail on its own. Something else will cause the cat to fail.

I would get a second opinion elsewhere. If the flange is really welded on there, they would just have to cut right after the it and weld on a new catback without touching the cat whatsoever.
No...I am not getting any codes. The converter is fine just a little rusted...Thanks for clearing this up. I'll get a second opinion as well. I am however very surprised that Nissan would use such easily rustable metal down there. I have had my max for 6 years and this would be my most expensive repair. I just want tomake sure I do the right thing and not pay some hacks for something that I did not need to replace. I appreciate your response.
Thanks,
S
Old 04-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Maxima Owner

and htey prolly have torches to cut the bolts out.....if not they should...and thye should let u look at it in the air and show u what htey are talking about.....and ys cats do go bad.......but i highly doubt urs is
Old 04-19-2005, 10:46 AM

UNLESS YOU WENT TO A BAD MUFFLER PLACE IN THE PAST, THE CAT CONVERTER SHOULD NOT BE WELDED!

If the cat converter is still good, you may want to keep it. Most people with 95s are still running on the original cat converters, so I imagine yours is in good shape.

If you are having emissions inspection issues that suggest the cat is bad, then by all means change it.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:44 PM

What is a good brand to replace the oem cat-back system with? and what should I expect to pay for parts? I have been quoted Walker exhausts by several shops. Is it a reliable brand? Should I be asking for a different brand. Please advise.
Thanks in advance!
S
Old 04-20-2005, 09:48 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

if you plan on keeping your car forever then get a stainless steel exhaust from budgetexhaust