4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

a Q for anyone with lowerings springs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 03:51 PM

i recently installed some lowering springs in my car and every once in a while, i will hear a knocking sound coming from my right strut setup. i cant decipher if it is the front or rears because it sounds like both sometimes, just cant tell. do any of ya'll hear noises while driving with an upgraded suspension? btw, it only come from the passenger side and i tried figuring out what it was but cant. i went up the curb back and fourth trying to hear when it would happened, nothing, took sharp turns, nothing. it just sort of happens (mostly when just moving the car in or out of a parking spot), and usually during lower speeds, under 25 (or maybe my car is too loud and i cant hear it at high speeds). thanks!
Old 05-10-2001, 04:30 PM

I'm with you. A flexing kinda noise, like something resilient was bending and flexing back into its original shape. It's a little creepy.

I thought maybe the FSTB might fix that, but I promised myself I would not buy another mod at least until mid-June, even if it means missing out on the transmission upgrade I wanted.

Anyone with more knowledge have an idea?

Shayyadin
Old 05-10-2001, 04:49 PM

Double check your torque....

Originally posted by _DRU_
i recently installed some lowering springs in my car and every once in a while, i will hear a knocking sound coming from my right strut setup. i cant decipher if it is the front or rears because it sounds like both sometimes, just cant tell. do any of ya'll hear noises while driving with an upgraded suspension? btw, it only come from the passenger side and i tried figuring out what it was but cant. i went up the curb back and fourth trying to hear when it would happened, nothing, took sharp turns, nothing. it just sort of happens (mostly when just moving the car in or out of a parking spot), and usually during lower speeds, under 25 (or maybe my car is too loud and i cant hear it at high speeds). thanks!
Check it on your 3 bolts that mount the strut to the fender well

Check the torque on the big a$$ strut/bearing mount nut

Check the 2 strut/spindle bolts

Check upper and lower attach bolts on rear struts

Check anything else that I may have missed that perhaps you had to remove to get the job done.
Old 05-10-2001, 08:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What struts do you have? I had the same problem and it was because of my Koni's. The bolt at the bottom I guess got a little loose, not noticably loose but I guess looser, and when I tightened it it went away. . .
Old 05-10-2001, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by _DRU_
That annoying noise is the springs skipping on the top rubber insert. I have it on both sides on my Max.

If anyone is successful in getting rid of that noise, please e-me.
Old 05-10-2001, 08:54 PM

gonna check it out tomorrow....

im goin to my friends house tomorrow to check my suspension. im gonna make sure everything is torqued to spec, everything fits properly and nothings broken. if there is a fix to the moise that i have, i will be sure to post it.
Old 05-11-2001, 05:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Check to make sure that the springs are seated in the spring perch correctly.
Old 05-11-2001, 10:22 PM

Stupid me....

the noises from the front of may car were because of a stupid mistake. when i installed the strut back, i did not point it in the right direction (out). so the strut was slanted in the wrong direction and everytime i turned the wheel, it would rub against on of the 3 strut mounts. got the front fixed, have no idea about the back though, so i just put my stock springs back.