4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Life @ 115 mph, a call for help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2001, 03:39 PM

Okay,

I was on my way home driving down interstate I 285. So I decided to just open my car up. The only mods I have are Ractive heat shield and Vibrant FSTB. The car was great, only problem I had was, it stopped at 115. Are there any chips for the 99 GXE? If not, who would I need to talk to about getting one made? I believe I know enough technical gurus to put something together. At 115, the car wanted to go faster, but it couldn't. Any info greatly appreciated.

K
Old 05-12-2001, 03:42 PM
Ch12i5

There is probably a restriction

yeah, i've heard a lot about the later model maximas having a speed restiction.

ECU upgrades are available, I'm not sure of who makes the best one, but just search around.

I was wondering about your Ractive heat shield...this is the intake heat shield right? could you tell me where you got it? because i really want one also...thanks

Old 05-12-2001, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Re: There is probably a restriction

he has a 99 .. there is no ECU uprade..

you have a couple choices..

Buy a 99 SE (same transmision) ECU
Buy APex'i Rev/Speed Meter
Buy Fields Fuel Controler
Unplug your speed sensor (loose Speedometer in process)

Originally posted by Ch12i5

ECU upgrades are available, I'm not sure of who makes the best one, but just search around.

I was wondering about your Ractive heat shield...this is the intake heat shield right? could you tell me where you got it? because i really want one also...thanks
Old 05-12-2001, 03:56 PM

Re: There is probably a restriction

Originally posted by Ch12i5

I have been looking around. I only see them for the earlier 4th gen models. D'oh. I need that removed because it really sucks I can't go over 115 when my car wants to.

I got the Heat Shield from Ebay (19.75). It was the best 20 dollars ever spent. When I first put it on, I was impressed. Everyone who gets in the car with me is impressed. People say that it's not that much of a difference, BS, it made quite a difference to me. Even my father was thinking about getting one for his 300M. He use to drag race cars in his earlier days. Go for what you know. Just my 2 cents

K
Old 05-12-2001, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: There is probably a restriction

read my above post..

and if you have a 5spd Maxima.. leave it in 4th Gear and it will take you to 120
Originally posted by DARTHSWAN

I have been looking around. I only see them for the earlier 4th gen models. D'oh. I need that removed because it really sucks I can't go over 115 when my car wants to.

I got the Heat Shield from Ebay (19.75). It was the best 20 dollars ever spent. When I first put it on, I was impressed. Everyone who gets in the car with me is impressed. People say that it's not that much of a difference, BS, it made quite a difference to me. Even my father was thinking about getting one for his 300M. He use to drag race cars in his earlier days. Go for what you know. Just my 2 cents

K
Old 05-12-2001, 04:03 PM

Re: Re: There is probably a restriction

Originally posted by SprintMax
he has a 99 .. there is no ECU uprade..

you have a couple choices..

Buy a 99 SE (same transmision) ECU
How much do they cost, and how are easy do they install?

[/i]

Buy APex'i Rev/Speed Meter
[/QUOTE]

How does it work?

[/i]

Buy Fields Fuel Controler

[/QUOTE]

What is that?

[/i]

Unplug your speed sensor (loose Speedometer in process)

[/QUOTE]

I need to know how fast I am going, so I'll count that out.

Thanks for the info

K
Old 05-12-2001, 04:07 PM
Administrator

99SE ECU .. now if you have an AUTO.. you must buy and AUTO.. and if you have a 5spd.. you must buy a 5spd ECU..

you can get them from a junk yard.. you can start with http://www.copartfinder.com or call your local junk yard...

around $80 - $150

or

Apexi' Rev/Speed Limiter.. it does other cool stuff.. main important thing is.. it removes the limiter..

http://www.apexi-usa.com/meters_revspeedmeter.asp

around $150

or

Fields Fuel Controler... it controls fuel mappings.. can control if you are running lean or rich.. does other cool stuff.. most important thing.. it also gets rid of limiter..

around $225
Old 05-12-2001, 04:10 PM
Administrator

All will require some knowledge of your car.. but will be easier to understand with a 99 Manual.. ither the FSM $100, Haynes $19, Chilton $25 .. they are effective in that order.. with the FSM being the best, the Haynes next and Chilton..

Luckily we have Daniel B. Martin here.. so if you do get one of those units and you get stuck he will help you along.. but a Manual is a MUST
Old 05-12-2001, 04:16 PM

SprintMax,

Thanks for all the info. Let's talk more on the Apexi' Rev/Speed Limiter, what are some of the other cool things? I'm getting ready to go to the website. thanks for that link. Do you or anyone else have this?

K
Old 05-12-2001, 04:59 PM
Administrator

sx7r .. Co-NOS King has it on this 99 spd GXE.. it has a stop watch.. a rev meter and an Electronic Speedometer..

here is a vid of it in action..

http://www.vanillaice.com/webmasters.../topspeed.mpeg

you will have to turn the brightness up

SprintMax,

Thanks for all the info. Let's talk more on the Apexi' Rev/Speed Limiter, what are some of the other cool things? I'm getting ready to go to the website. thanks for that link. Do you or anyone else have this?

K
Old 05-12-2001, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
All will require some knowledge of your car.. but will be easier to understand with a 99 Manual.. ither the FSM $100, Haynes $19, Chilton $25 .. they are effective in that order.. with the FSM being the best, the Haynes next and Chilton..

Luckily we have Daniel B. Martin here.. so if you do get one of those units and you get stuck he will help you along.. but a Manual is a MUST
Personal opinion: you are nuts to drive that fast on a public highway.

If you decide to replace your Engine Control Unit with one from a different model, go to http://www.bol.ucla.edu/%7Ecchiu1/how2.html for instructions. Click on ECU Removal in the Performance column.
Old 05-12-2001, 10:58 PM

Okay,

I was on my way home driving down interstate I 285. So I decided to just open my car up. The only mods I have are Ractive heat shield and Vibrant FSTB. The car was great, only problem I had was, it stopped at 115. Are there any chips for the 99 GXE? If not, who would I need to talk to about getting one made? I believe I know enough technical gurus to put something together. At 115, the car wanted to go faster, but it couldn't. Any info greatly appreciated.

K
WHat's a heat sheild, and where does it go, and what's it dO?
Old 05-13-2001, 07:04 AM

Personal experience:

Georgia highways are nice and smooth. I've been to racing school, I know the do's and dont's.

THe heat shield is a housing around the actual cone filter. It does keep the noise down at highway speeds. They claim it is supposed to limit some of the hot air from the engine. Since I'm not under there with a thermometer, I don't know.