4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2 Exhaust Questions and 1 Starting Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2 Exhaust Questions and 1 Starting Question

I bought my 95' about a month ago and I noticed that it won't start unless I keep pressing my foot on the gas pedal and then it'll start. If I crank it the first time without giving it gas it wont start. The second time I crank it, it'll start up fine. Anybody know the reason behind this?

Also, under normal acceleration the car runs fine but then I pretty much lay my foot down hard on the gas it'll start to hesistate a little. I noticed underneath there is some sort of thermal wrap under the car which looks like it's wrapping the flex section. Could it be the o2 sensor in the catalytic converter not getting enought exhaust because there's a leak which is making it run rich?

Finally I went to order a Warpspeed y-pipe and they said they're not selling the Superflo for now because of leak issues. Anybody on here have the Superflo (the one with no flex section)?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:37 AM

i did but mine leaked so i got the regular one
Old 05-04-2005, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by KRMaxima21
I bought my 95' about a month ago and I noticed that it won't start unless I keep pressing my foot on the gas pedal and then it'll start. If I crank it the first time without giving it gas it wont start. The second time I crank it, it'll start up fine. Anybody know the reason behind this?

Also, under normal acceleration the car runs fine but then I pretty much lay my foot down hard on the gas it'll start to hesistate a little. I noticed underneath there is some sort of thermal wrap under the car which looks like it's wrapping the flex section. Could it be the o2 sensor in the catalytic converter not getting enought exhaust because there's a leak which is making it run rich?

Finally I went to order a Warpspeed y-pipe and they said they're not selling the Superflo for now because of leak issues. Anybody on here have the Superflo (the one with no flex section)?
Starting: Could be your starter or ignition switch, I had a bad starter that would drag and sometime pressing gas would help it start.
When was the last time a tune up has been done?
hesitation could be clogged cat, coil packs.

Do you have a CEL?
Old 05-04-2005, 10:22 AM

Starts with the small things first: tuneup (plugs, air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve) and clean your throttle body and check for the hidden knock sensor code
Old 05-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by KRMaxima21

Ive got one and its leaking as well. theyre sending me a new one soon.