4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Who's gotten caught at the races? On the street while running?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2001, 11:37 PM

Aight, I am new to the Maxima scene ... Just wondering how many peeps out there run at the lights with other cars, and if you have... How many people have gotten caught while racing? Clocked on radar? Freeway? Streets? Accident while running another car? (Hope not...)

I got caught down here in SoCal in my Mustang with my buddies a couple of years ago... Luckily I wasn't running that night, since the cops had hidden video cameras and photographers to snap pics all night long and finally do a raid. 400+ people came down that night, and most left with tickets... They brought riot control officers, helicopters to catch those on foot, a caravan of 20 or more flatbed tow trucks and plenty of police vans to carry people away. Drama. Got a ticket, and the judge let my whole car load of friends go, including me. (Don't know why, or how.) Others lost their licenses, cars were impounded and a couple of people ended up doing some small time in jail... Just thought it would be cool to post some experiences in the Max scene. Nice to read em...
Old 05-13-2001, 12:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hello ikSardarG:

The maximum penalty for drag racing on the streets in these parts of California is a few days in jail, major points on your license -- AND --
Your car is seized and auctioned off -- You never get your car back --

Those severe types of punishment is usually reserved for the most blatant violators -- where one competitor has to line up on the wrong side of the road and run up dramatically higher than the speed limits -- etc..

A more common stoplight race that ends not much faster than the speed limit should earn you just a speeding ticket if you get caught ---

Here in Milpitas, CA -- you can pretty much find them easily -- When you see a whole caravan of rice racers take an exit off the highway that leads to no residential areas or businesses -- there is a good chance they are up to no good --

The cops here only have to look for any car with goofy body kits, stickers, stovepipe exhausts, and the like to know who has the biggest chance of being up to mischief --

In downtown San Jose on a weekend night -- the cops will look for anybody that has done all sorts of stuff to their cars -- but usually their enforcement is limited to those lowrider cars with the gold wheels and low-profile whitewalls sticking way out -- or some kid in a Honda with a rear wing straight off of an F1 race car -- or any car with a sticker overload

So when they find such a car, they will check it out to see if anything is illegal -- and if they can't find anything there, they'll give the usual alcohol tests and the like -- As long as a car has "normal" looking mods, there are usually no issues --

So don't go out street racing -- Just save your money and car for better use --- All those street racers -- the blatant kind I mention above -- say they are safe and they know what they are doing -- They are not in control -- Sooner or later, they are going to seriously hurt somebody when they keep pushing the limits -- In contrast, race tracks don't have trees, steep enbankments, oncoming traffic, intersections, blind driveways, pedestrians, etc...
Old 05-13-2001, 02:58 PM

When I got caught...

The first time, I was racing down here on the street, barely left the street light when it turned green... Only to get caught by a cop in a drive thru at Jack in the Box... (I couldn't see him since he was behind the wall of the drive-thru.) I wasn't doing more than the speed limit by the time he saw us, and I got a ticket for "Contesting in a speed contest". That's what he wrote on the ticket. So anyways, I was a minor then, and I went to traffic school and cleared it.

The second time, which was the time I mentioned in my first post... The ticket which I got was "Aiding and abetting in a speed contest"... Which the cop told me that is punishable the same way as racing. He said people watching just contribute to the safety factor and the turnout of the crowd... I just looked at the newspaper article I clipped when they did that last raid... 330+ tickets were handed out it says... Ahhh. Memories.
Old 05-13-2001, 03:21 PM

here in Toronto

We have races here in Toronto every weekend on a good night.
This friday it was a fairly small turnout, but there were no cops and thre were quite a few races. It's not as good as it used to be a few years back when up to 1000 people came out. Now they use the chopper at night, but they can't shut it down. It gets the adrenaline going.
As far as I know, there were never any major accidents or injuries, but plenty of tickets. It is usually ended by a single cop, there are rarely major raids, but I have seen a few people get busted big time. It's fun and all, but it is dangerous.
Old 05-13-2001, 03:46 PM

Riot^, I love your car man. Looks clean..where you in Woodside Mall on April 27th?? I think I may have seen you there.

Anyway are you talking about the races on 14th and Woodbine? Do you think there will be one next weekend? I plan on going if there is.
Old 05-13-2001, 10:42 PM

kinda raced, not what you guys call racing, not light to light, but had a whole course kinda thing planned out.... like a 5mile stretch of road.... im too smart for that now, sometimes ill do the light to light thing but i shut down at about 55 or 60.... it just doesnt make sense to me anymore...

So your civics faster or your mustang, but you know what my car has Class .. enough class for what you pay for it anyways.
Old 05-13-2001, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
Riot^, I love your car man. Looks clean..where you in Woodside Mall on April 27th?? I think I may have seen you there.

Anyway are you talking about the races on 14th and Woodbine? Do you think there will be one next weekend? I plan on going if there is.
Thanx bro.
No, I don't live in that area, it could have been my buddy, his car looks almost identical to mine, except no bra, and aftermarket rims, (and an auto :P)
Yeah man, the races began, it was cold this weekend, so there weren't many people out, but I hear Woodbine and 16th or 14th, whatever, gets pretty busy now. There are also races now in Brampton somewhere, and I hear that's where all the bikes and domestics get together.
Old 05-14-2001, 07:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

come to dallas. organized street racing. all you get is a ticket, lol.
Old 05-16-2001, 01:41 PM

Anyone know of any spots in Los Angeles? I am new to maxima racing....
Old 10-07-2001, 12:46 AM

i love watching the stuff. gets the adrenaline pumping and it makes me want to go home and buy more stuff for my car! never race tho, im too much of a wuss. would like to take my car to the track sometime tho...
Old 10-07-2001, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by black019
i love watching the stuff. gets the adrenaline pumping and it makes me want to go home and buy more stuff for my car! never race tho, im too much of a wuss. would like to take my car to the track sometime tho...
LOL !!!

This is like the 5 month anniversary of the this thread... Hahaha, guess he wanted to keep it alive... ehhehe.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:20 PM

question for sx7r

howdy,
Im here in Dallas and I occasionally go up to the races or Royal or Luna... but I don't think I've seen your car (it's pretty badass, so I think I would remember), when do you race(what days) and just wondering, have you beat the *ALLTA* transam???? Anyways, just checkin up on things at the local level, any other Dallas locals here?
Old 10-07-2001, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by ikSardarG

LOL !!!

This is like the 5 month anniversary of the this thread... Hahaha, guess he wanted to keep it alive... ehhehe.
came across it during a search. didnt know it was so old, lol
Old 10-07-2001, 11:10 PM

I will be in cali over spring break this year and want to know of some racing spots. I'd like to make a little $$$ while I'm out there and BS to my friends that I stopped off in vegas and won. Thanks for any spots you know of....Im looking for the south end, around LA and even further south.

Street racing is not always dangerous. There is a place in my town we all go to to race, its a deserted road that is in an industrial part of town and no one goes there at night except us. No one has gotten a ticket out there yet as no cop has been there. We measured off the 1/4 mile and marked it with spray paint and also marked a 1/2 mile course too. The road is long and straight. People come out fairly often and watch, those with the stones to race do so and Im proud to say that we have yet to have an accident of any kind.

Kirk
Old 10-07-2001, 11:53 PM

A group of us got busted last night, thankfully we weren't racing though. We would have all be out of there if some guy hadn't totally killed the tranny in his WS-6. Something tells me that they don't make cheap parts for T-56 trannies.
Old 10-08-2001, 12:31 AM

Oh yeah...I've been caught too...good thing I know all the cops in my town since my mom is the chiefs secretary and her boyfriend(parents are divorced) is the training officer I got off from the ticket due to this...plus, even though my exhaust is loud, I successfully used the "my family car beating an RX7 in a race?" line.

Kirk