4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How-To on Yellow Fog Light Conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 09:53 PM

How-To on Yellow Fog Light Conversion.

Here is the link to my How-To on Yellow Fog Light Conversion . Hope you enjoy it as it took alot of work to complete.

How-To on Yellow Fog Light Conversion
Old 05-08-2005, 12:28 AM
nycmaximas member

Nice job on the write-up... I was just wondering. I ordered some HID's from a Acura TL 99?? The socket is larger than the H3 (Stock 98-99 Maxima) bulb. How do I Re-base the bulbs? Or would I have to cut the opening of the foglight housing larger to fit the base of the new bulbs, then epoxy the base on to the housing? Im still undecided about the yellow color but I would like some HID's in those fogs... I have HID's that are just siliconed onto the back of my headlight housings. They are bright as heck, but the glare really sucks. Im guessing its because of the reflectors of the Maxima???
Old 05-08-2005, 12:29 AM

very nice write-up. great pics too. im sure you'll have everyone on the org goin nuts over this
Old 05-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nice, this should be a sticky, i thought you used the small projectors from hidplanet? i didnt see anything written about that?
Old 05-08-2005, 06:00 AM
Donating i30 Owner

ahh the lex capsule.. nicee... i thought you guys would use the yellow projector... hmm creative indeed.. very sexy..
Old 05-08-2005, 07:37 AM

BORQUA79: Rebasing a standard HID D2S/D2R bulb to H3 may be more difficult than you think. In addition, in order for the stock fog light housing to accept a HID D2S/D2R bulb and hold it in the proper position would require extensive modifiction that is not worth your time. Instead, I would recommend that you purchase a HID kit already rebased to H3. Umnitza is currently doing a group deal on such a kit for only $230 shipped. Using HID bulbs inside a stock 4th gen headlight will indeed cause massive glare. The reason is that the stock reflector based headlight is not designed to reflect the light output of a HID bulb. This prevents the controlled light reflection associated with using the standard 9004 halogen bulb. People try to compensate for this glare by aiming the headlights lower but you then sacrifice the output that the HIDs give out in the first place. It was because of these reasons why I waited until I had enough funds for a OEM projector retro fit before I put HIDs into my headlights.

96MAXIMAGXE & HomerMAC: If I were to use the Bosch H3 mini projectors with the yellow capsules, I would have to go back to halogen H3 bulbs. This means that I would loose my Xtec 6000k H3 HID kit. The reason for this is that the H3 HID bulb would fit inside the projector but the tip extends just over the projector shield. This caused a silhouette of the bulb top to be projected on the light output. Think of it like putting a big black dot right in the middle of the cutoff. Also, the space inside the reflector bowl of the Bosch H3 projector is very limited. This means that the yellow capsule needs to be trimmed down in order for it to fit. I already destroyed 1 yellow capsule in the process to do just that and decided that it was not worth another attempt due to no funds for purchasing more yellow capsules.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:57 AM

Yo Meanbean, I like what you did with your headlights. Do you have a complete write-up on that with parts list and brand of HID used?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:53 AM

Great writeup..
Old 05-08-2005, 09:59 AM

BTW......I forgot to mention, awesome write-up! It's straight-forward, really easy to follow. I had no idea its that easy to fit the yellow capsules. Question, what's the difference between the Xtec 6000k and the Bosch Mini H3 HID's? Why did you go with Xtec? Also, based on the write-up, you didn't have to use the projectors that came with these mini HIDs. You only used the bulbs itself. Am I correct on these observations? I want to do this mod after doing the headlight HID conversion.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the props guys. It was a learning experience making the tutorial. The installation process is definately slowed down due to having to take so many pics with the correct layout to document the retro process completely. I decided to make it because I wanted to give back to those in the Maxima.Org community that continue to help those in need of assistance.

DR-Max: Sorry, but I have no write-up on the headlight projector installation process. There are just too many variables with that installation that would make a tutorial too difficul to complete. I would recommend that you head on over to www.hidplanet.com and read up for more information. There is a wealth of knowledge over there that should give you more than enough information to be able to perform your retro fit. The Bosch H3 mini projector is designed for use with a halogen bulb. They come with standard 55 watt halogen H3 bulbs. The Xtec 6000k H3 HID is a aftermarket kit that I used to replace my former halogen setup. The Bosch H3 mini projector was scrapped from my fog light retro fit since I had to make a choice on whether to keep the Xtec HIDs or go back to halogen in order to be able to use the Bosch H3 mini projectors. I chose to keep the Xtec HID kit and in fact sold my Bosch H3 mini projector locally to someone who is going to retro them into their fog lights.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by meanbean
DR-Max: Sorry, but I have no write-up on the headlight projector installation process. There are just too many variables with that installation that would make a tutorial too difficul to complete.
Thanks, I understand what you mean about the variables involved in such process. I am more interested in the parts you've used in the headlight project. I really like the way they look, the projectors don't look too big nor out of place unlike some of the ones I've seen in the org.

The Bosch H3 mini projector is designed for use with a halogen bulb. They come with standard 55 watt halogen H3 bulbs. The Xtec 6000k H3 HID is a aftermarket kit that I used to replace my former halogen setup.
Got it! I must have missed that one. I did find it in the halogen section of the website. But did not register to me that its not HID, the projector assembly made me assume that its HID. Anyhow, I want more light output so I will plan for the Xtec kit. How much did that cost you?
Old 05-08-2005, 10:33 PM

friggin NICE....kinda beats just buy yellow fog lights LOL GREAT WRITE UP!
Old 05-09-2005, 05:34 AM

DR-Max: I don't have a list of parts to give out. All I did was go to Home Depot with one of my projectors and walk around looking for parts that would fit. They did not sell bolts/screws that would be long and small enough to use for mounting my projector so I purchased threaded medal rods with washers and locking nuts. I ended up making numerous trips back and forth to the Home Depot looking for different items during my installation. If it helps, visit my past threads that I created regarding my projector installation. The cost of the Xtec HID kit was $275 shipped back when I purchased it from Umnitza. They are now currently doing a group deal on HID kits for $230 shipped.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=387590

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=397144
Old 03-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Banned

i know this is old as hell, but w/e, i want to put projectors into the fogs. NOW, would HID H3 mini bulbs (H3c) fit into the Bosch Mini H3 Projectors. I think what was asked before was that will HID H3 (normal size) bulbs fit in there, and the answer was no. now i want to know if H3c (mini h3) will fit in those same projectors? I want to put projectors in the fogs along with an HID 3000k kit.