4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Quick Question. Door panel removal.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 09:05 AM

Quick Question. Door panel removal.

I'm trying to remove the door panels so I can change out my blown bose speaker. I read the write up and took out all the screws around the door, I have the window down and am trying to slide to door up but it wont move, I know I have to get the level that opens to door lose but how exactly do I accomplish this? seems like thats the last step to getting the door off.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2005, 09:17 AM

there is i beleive three screws that you take off at the bottom , then the part where you pull the door closed (i put pennies in mines) there is alittle tab that you have to pry out and there is a screw under that tab , then you pry the door handle plastic piece off , just pull and wiggle the door up till it comes up, then unclip the clips thats attached to the door there should be two of them one for the door light and the other for the window switches.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had two screws on the bottom edge of the door panel and a screw inside the handle. After that I had to pop out the plastic snap-pieces that keep the panel on - I think they are in each of the corners and a few in between. But once those are out the panel should come right off
Old 05-23-2005, 12:57 PM

did you take out the plastic around the door latch? Did you remove the screw in the pull handle? And the Open-door light thing?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:29 PM

I took off all screws around the door, I poped out the light (that comes on when door is ajar) disconnected harness, un screwed and removed the pull handle, lifted and removed window switch. Still getting resistance, window is down I know the door latch need to come off i'm trying to get advice on how to remove that, I've tried but worried about damaging plus not fully sure where to try pry it out from made me stop andf post this thread.

trying to get the trim around the door open lever

I know its a 5th gen door, just getting an image to help.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the tips above. I just removed my left front door panel to push out a minor door ding that someone kindly left for me this week. I had to remove the panel so that I could get behind the dent and gently push it out with a long piece of rounded plastic. It's not as good as a professional dent removal, but it's turned out very well.

My car had 2 phillips screws on the bottom and a third screw under a plastic cap in the door cup in the arm rest. The plastic trim around the door latch also had to be popped out. Lastly, I had to carefully put a flat blade screw driver between the panel and the door where the 4 plastic fasteners snapped into the door. These were located on the left and right side of the panel 4 inches from the top and bottom. Once these fasteners where free, the whole panel lifted up and out. I left the wires attached and made a make shift hanger to support the panel while I was working on the dent.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Back from the dead

I ended up doing this a couple weeks ago to fix some rattles, Theres a screw in the interior handle area (the one that is a perfect place for a cell phone ) And 2 right on the bottom of the door. The lever trim is held on by 2 clips, one on top of the trim piece, one on the back side. Try not to break it while pulling, I ended up snapping one of mine. Very annoying. Remove the switch panel, by (i used a butter knife) prying up the part of it near the front of the car. After that, disconnect the harness to the courtesy light, and voila door panel.