4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What could be the problem with my max, it wouldn't start...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 06:58 PM

What could be the problem with my max, it wouldn't start...

Well, it was wierd, I just drove the car from Burger King to my house to start working on fixing my friends 300zx, he was having problems with his headunit and alternator whine, we fixed it in a matter of seconds by adjusting the ground. We were just finishing up, and I told him that he would need to get the antenna adaptor to make the two pin antenna harness into a one pin to go into his new head unit. Well, we were on our way to Pep Boys, and instead of putting his car together and drive it, we were taking mine. Here starts the problem.

Keep in mind, I drove the car the entire day, and just needed to drive to PepBoys, and so we got into the car, I step on the clutch and proceed to start the car, but nothing would go. I checked the battery, and the battery is good, so I checked all the fluids, everything was fine. I started to think it could be the starter, and was basically just trying to turn the car on, but nothing worked. After a couple of minutes of trying everything, I gave up and closed the hood. I went to try again, and the car turned on. What exactly could be the problem? Any help, I'm gonna goto my mechanic tomarrow, but having an idea of a possible problem is gonna help me .
Old 05-23-2005, 08:30 PM

My guess is that the clutch safety switch is flakey and didn't disingage earlier on.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:52 PM

hey, let me know what the problem was, cuz the same thing happened to me. I think its my starter though.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:09 AM
renatonetmail

ignition switch last time i heard...and/or read

Old 05-24-2005, 06:54 AM

Lets say that if it is the clutch safety switch, and it didn't disengage, what should I do to make it work better... I don't know how else to work it, sorry for the crappy English :-p.

And let's say that it might be the ignition switch, where is this located, and what can I do to check it/troubleshoot, and possibly repair the problem?

Any other DIY troubleshooting methods I should try will be beneficial .
Old 05-24-2005, 07:01 AM

Check both Crank Position Sensors, one came loose on me while I was driving and the car just shut off in the road.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:06 AM
renatonetmail

the ignitino switch (where you put the cars keys to start it) is known to be faulty in our cars...(dont know how to troubleshoot it tho) but its definitely more cheap and easier than a starter. just my $0.02

Old 05-24-2005, 07:01 PM

Same thing happened to me. I tried starting it over and over -- nothing. Had to push start it every time. I figured it couldn't be the starter, because push starting it should rotate the starter and make it temporarily work. The next day -- no problem. I've been driving it this way for over a week now, no problems. The previous owner replaced the neutral safety switch about a year ago.

P. S. I don't mean to be rude, but your entire first paragraph really isn't relevent to the thread.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:16 PM
tastey wheat

camshaft sensor, had the same problem once
Old 05-24-2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by isawyou
P. S. I don't mean to be rude, but your entire first paragraph really isn't relevent to the thread.
Oh, no real reason, other then to point out the fact that the car was running fine before the problem, and also to point out that I know someone with a twin turbo 300zx, what can I say, I like the large e-***** :-p.

As for the camshaft sensor, the real only way to fix this problem, is to replace it? I have no real idea on the component, but would something as simple as cleaning it up, or readjusting it would help me if the car was to do this again? Oh, and where is the camshaft sensor? :-p. Sorry for the newbism, but asking questions helps the learning process .
Old 05-24-2005, 10:26 PM

its the starter, mine had the same thing happen. the little magnets around the coil inside the starter get worn out or the coil inside the solenoid gets shorted. sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldnt. changed the starter and no more problems.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:45 AM

If the car turns over, it's not the ignition switch.
If you get a click when you turn the key, then it's probably a starter or battery.
If you get nothing, then it's the ignition switch.

I replaced my clutch safety switch only to still have the problem.
You can usually push the key in towards the steering column while in the start position and the car will start. I've been doing that now for almost 2 years.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

First post - great forum - very helpful! I have a 2004 but I passed my '96 onto my son and he has same problem. He gets a click but randomly no crank at all. Took it to the garage and had starter motor and relays replaced - expensive. They said starter was pulling three times correct amperage and was "cooking" so replaced it. Problem still exists! Garage said battery is good so seems like ignition switch is the culprit, yes (even though it clicks)? He got it to start after rocking the car in frustration when it failed. The next day it failed to start for me but I got it to start by putting it in neutral. Today it started! Frustrating for a car I put a bunch of money into so it would last longer so he could use it. Anybody have other ideas - confirm it's the ignition or maybe just a loose connection? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When my starter went bad, you would hear the electric motor trying to turn, but nothing happens or it is just stuck grinding. Now on very very very few occasions when I go to start my car, nothing happens period. I will just keeping turning the key back and forth and eventually it starts. My problems seems more like a short then anything else. Just my .02.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:00 PM

It's a faulty ignition switch under your steering column There IS a short in the stock one...the new ones from Nissan are completely re-designed...A new 20$ will make it start right up. Been here dont this MANY times.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree. If you don't hear the starter activate at all, it is the ignition switch until proven otherwise, especially if startup is normal any other time. If your cranking sounds sickly at times, it could be the battery, ground, or starter. If it cranks normally but keeps on doing so for prolonged periods without firing up, then the crank or cam sensors could be faulty. Personally, I've never heard of anyone's clutch pedal switch going but I guess that is possible, and people with auto's can have their neutral/park switch fail.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:29 PM

there seems to be alot of this starting problem going around. Same exact thing happened to my aunt's 95 max about a week ago.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:14 AM
renatonetmail

I kinda save the usage of it by remote starting my car with the responder....but i would say that's the most expensive solution.