4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

sticky throttle. cables maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 08:37 PM

sticky throttle. cables maybe??

i have to sometimes step pretty hard to make the gas pedal move and its even worse like after a race. do i need to change out the throttle cables or something or what?

*off topic but, its time for me to drain the radiator, there any how to's?*
Old 05-23-2005, 08:59 PM

Just want to make sure here...

You think your throttle cables are getting stuck, but said WTF and kept street racing regardless?

Sounds good to me, just aim for a big tree and not another car.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Make sure the cable doesn't have any obstructions

Originally Posted by g4nismo
*off topic but, its time for me to drain the radiator, there any how to's?*
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/502
Old 05-23-2005, 09:33 PM

this is starting to happen to me, especially after more than a half hour of driving. Seems that right after getting off the gas for a minute (stoplight) my cables, or even my throttle body is sticking. so much so that i have to jam on the gas and jerk forward.
I've tried cleaning the throttle body to no avail, seems that my cables are fine but my TB is sticking somewhere (I can move cables freely, but when i move the TB open and closed it sticks at the begining of opening)
Old 05-24-2005, 09:58 AM
Willing to learn

This is a common problem with an easy fix. It is usually not the cable. A good cleaning of the throttle body opening may fix this, but likely the throttle plate is snapping back shut past the center position. It is a very tight fit in the opening, and I have not figured out why it deteriorates to this condition. But here is the fix:

Make sure the engine is at operating temperature. This will insure that the fast idle portion of the warm-up cycle has been completed.

Locate the small screw/locknut assembly on the LH side of the throtle body.

With the air intake duct removed, manually open the throttle over half way and let it snap back, You will probably notice the throttle plate will stick closed, despite slack in the cable.

Loosen the locknut and carefully adjust the screw in until it just contacts the throttle stop.
Continue checking the return of the throttle as before until you create just enough stop to prevent the plate from sticking. Any more than this and your idle airflow will be affected.

Tighten the locknut. Recheck for sticking condition. Finish.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:00 AM

ahh, thanks man, i guess i did mess around with that nut right before i noticed symtoms trying to adjust idle speed, ill re-adjust tonight
Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Willing to learn

Of course everyone knows that this screw is NOT for adjusting the idle speed.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by oldngivout
This is a common problem with an easy fix. It is usually not the cable. A good cleaning of the throttle body opening may fix this, but likely the throttle plate is snapping back shut past the center position. It is a very tight fit in the opening, and I have not figured out why it deteriorates to this condition. But here is the fix:

Make sure the engine is at operating temperature. This will insure that the fast idle portion of the warm-up cycle has been completed.

Locate the small screw/locknut assembly on the LH side of the throtle body.

With the air intake duct removed, manually open the throttle over half way and let it snap back, You will probably notice the throttle plate will stick closed, despite slack in the cable.

Loosen the locknut and carefully adjust the screw in until it just contacts the throttle stop.
Continue checking the return of the throttle as before until you create just enough stop to prevent the plate from sticking. Any more than this and your idle airflow will be affected.

Tighten the locknut. Recheck for sticking condition. Finish.
Does anyone have any more information on this procedure? Running the engine without an airfilter seems shady...My car is very jerky when letting off the gas, or then going back on the throttle, so this may fix it. I'm not trying to offend you, just trying to get more info.
Is this outlined in one of the service manuals?