4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The unluckiest week ever

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The unluckiest week ever

I got into another wreck. I was making a left turn in an intersection when some old lady plowed into my right passenger side with her 95 Dodge Ram 1500. My front passenger wheel was pushed in at the top, strut bent, hood, fender, and bumper damaged. Stillen lip is alright of course. I got the citation but the cop said I should plead not guilty. To make matters worse, when I got out of the tow truck, my phone fell out. I didn't know it then, and when I found it, the tow truck had run over it. I can send and receive calls, but can't see anything on my screen. I was like okay, I still have Best Buy insurance on it, and the guy who sold me the phone said it covers ohysical damage. Guess what? It didn't All best buy could say was that I was misinformed. I'm not doing business with them anymore.
It doesn't end there. I went today to get a book I forgot in my car. What do I find when I get to the body shop. My rims are gone! My radar detector is gone, and my subs, amp, and capacitor are gone! This takes the cake. I was still optimistic about getting my car fixed. Now, my rims and stereo equipment is gone. They broke in through the triangular window on the passenger side and got in. Ripped the back seat to unlock the trunk. They even pulled the trunl lock out and busted it. Luckily, I took off the faceplat. The idiots still stole the remote! Well, the situation is in God's hands. The police came out and I told them what happened. I got a police report. I called Allstate and they said I should file it under my home owners insurance. My address is listed as my parents' house. Would I file it under them? The body shop owner was there and said it was an inside job by the other body shop in the same complex as his. He said he would try and get me a deal on some comparable rims. I thanked him, but I doubt I will get anything like my 18" RH Evolution C5s. At this point I'm numb to what's going on. On the bright side, no one was hurt in the accident.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:56 PM

dang dude.. sorry to hear.. i hope everything works out for ya
Old 06-11-2005, 10:51 PM

Damn that really sucks! Homeowners insurance will likely cover the stereo equipment and other non-OEM stuff. Ask your parents for a copy of their policy and the phone number of the insurance company.

Is your car fully insured or liability only? You will have to pay the deductible anyway, you might as well claim as much as you can in terms of damage from accident and theft.

Sorry to hear. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:59 PM

Dddddduuuuuuuddddddeeeee!!!! If I was you I'd be bouncing off the walls with anger and lashing out at all the a$$holes you've met this week.

As for Best Buy, that ******* shiet happened to me too. Go back, take a tape recorder, and get them to say they cover physical damage again. Then when they start shiet about how you were misinformed, pull out the tape and play it back to those a$$holes. Worked for me.

It happened in their shop, hold them completely responsible. **** going to your insurance. Shiet I bet they did it and are just blaming on the other shop.

God just reading this shiet makes me angry.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:02 PM

You know, many parking lots have been sued for stolen items. They always claim they had a sign up saying they are "not responsible" and "park at your own risk".

But the courts never uphold the signs. They are responsible while the car is in their care.

HOWEVER, if they did not do it, it would be pretty shiitty to sue them!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 11:15 PM

My car is liability only. I trust the body shop owner. He has fixed my car in the past and is a very close friend of my father. I ended up buying the same phone off of ebay. As soon as I get it, I'm putting Sprint's total equipment replacement program on it.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:26 PM

Damn man another accident? Are u kidding me this is like the 3rd one in the past 6 months that ive read about. Sorry to hear about it. And as far as the stolen stereo equipment deal with the shop owner since the car was on his property expecting repair he is liable for the damaged/stolen property. GOod luck bro.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:03 AM

Actually, it's very likely that the SHOP OWNER HAS INSURANCE that might cover theft of things on his property.

First try your homeowners insurance. BUT, if that doesn't work out, ask the shop owner if he can look into it as a personal favor since you've done business with him before...
Old 06-12-2005, 12:18 AM

wow, and here I thought my week was bad... u take the cake... I bow to u...
Old 06-12-2005, 01:43 AM

dude, if the car is in the body shop, shouldnt it be COMPLETELY his responsibility to keep the car safe. what kind of f'ing excuse is "i think it was the other body shop who took your rims and amps"... WTF! i'd kick the **** out of him and tell the police he beat himself!!!
Old 06-12-2005, 02:18 AM

damn, i feel bad for you...hope everything works out, well i shouldnt say everything, but maybe most will.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:28 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I hope the "old lady" you cut off is ok.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:43 AM

Damn that sucks to hear for a Louisiana Max owner. Hope everything gets straighted out for ya..
Old 06-12-2005, 11:09 AM

Sorry to hear that Ike. Talk about unlucky. As you know, I had about 3 accidents in a year. I know how you feel. Hope everything turns out good.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:20 PM

Ouch! I hope you have a huge lucky streak after all this! I work at Best Buy so I know the salesman definitely should have known the service plan does not cover physical damage...he was probably just trying to make a sale or he's really stupid. Make sure you complain to the store manager if you remember who your salesman was. Everybody is suppossed to be trained on what the plan covers and does not. I always make sure to tell people what it doesn't cover.

Just keep a positive outlook...it will all work out however its meant to happen so there's no point stressing yourself out about it. You seem to have a good attitude considering everything you've gone though and as you said it's in God's hands. Let us know how it all works out!
Old 06-12-2005, 01:41 PM
no more maxima...

Damn.....sorry to hear.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:42 PM

ok if where you...torch the damn place where they stole your equipment from..or atleast threaten them..seriously..who the hell says "i think it was the other body shop"?! your taking their stupid explianaion? For example, if your car is parked on the side of the street and you are in your house; then another car hits it and totals it, while it was parked...you come out..and ask what happened?..and the person behind the wheel says you were speeding...would you take that explaination?..NO! i would ****ing kick the living **** out of everyone in that body shop, the shop that he thinks stole it, and the guy who ran over your cell phone...but hey im not optimistic..im pesimistic...i always expect the worst to happen. GL anyway...wow cant believe you actually can have a social life after all that.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:02 PM

Just send a few of your friends over the shop and have them act like they are looking for rims and sound gear. If someone solicits them.........busted!
Old 06-12-2005, 02:28 PM

... Can all that even happan to someone? Thats hurts to hear. Sorry man... i hope u somehow find ur sheit and get everything worked out. Isnt the shop that the car was held at somehow responsible for all your sheit being stolen since they were fixing the car? Man bust in there kick some ***! Obviously the dude knows something if he thinks the shop next door stole ur sheit....
Old 06-12-2005, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the support guys. It's really unfortunate that this happened, but it's all material. These accidents have seem to hammer that point home you can put too much trust in what you own. I already knew that, but it's all good. My father said he would talk to the owner, his freind, about what he would do. The guy has insurance on his shop. The old lady is okay. That's the thing I'm most happy about. I could really be flaming about the situation, but I'm not since it wouldn't help. I know God can take care of the situation better than I ever could, so I'm not worried. That same day, I helped a friend and classmate change his flat, and he told me that he had 2 twelves and an amp he never used since they would cause the back of his car to sag. Things are looking up already. I might even consider getting some 19"s I was always contemplating about. They would be used for the sake of cost right now though. Not to get too much of subject but would a 19" milie miglia evo 5 rim be heavier than an 18" RH Evolution C5 rim? The reason I ask is because the evo 5s are of better quality; I'm thinking they might be lighter. At this point, I'm not considering purchasing a brand new wheel and tire combination. Something in mint or good condition would be alright.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:04 PM

something like that happened to me in one day tho...
In the morning i locked my keys inside the car. but it's ok, i know how to open a car w/o keys. Then, while i was going home, i poped my tire in a highway. then when i went to change my tire, some lady on DODGE caravan hit me straing in rear-end. And hopefully when i'll drop my car tomorrow at bodushop, my car will be fixed.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:15 PM

damn i hope nothing gets stolen from my car which is in a shop right now..just got sideswiped by a red honda accord...2nd time a red accord did that to me!!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:13 AM

Im also sorry to hear about your misfortune, But I recommend hiring a good lawyer and telling him the situation, you cant do anything about your accident but maybe you can about getting the money back from the equipment that got stolen. I dont beleive that bullsheit about another body shop stealing your gear, anyone ever hear of "hidden cameras", dont eat the bull crap dude, good luck.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:22 PM

My parents are trying to get me to sell my car. That's something I'm really against. There's so much going on right now.I might take out an emergency loan to get the ball rolling on the repairs and hopefully be compensated for my loss.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:37 PM

Hope you can work things out...with the money you've invested in it, it is probably a wiser decision to just tough it out and pay it off. You will probably lose out if you sell now.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i know what you mean by unlucky week...my dad died last night....
Old 06-13-2005, 05:36 PM

^^ sorry to hear that...
maxima.org should make an emergency bank for people like above.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by EskiZ
^^ sorry to hear that...
maxima.org should make an emergency bank for people like above.

This is something that insurance should ideally cover - unfortunately insurance companies like to royally screw men under the age of 25. Full coverage is so expensive in some areas (NYC, NJ, etc) that it's easy to see why people take their chances on liability only. I understand why you took that route.

I agree that you should consult with someone who knows the law (not necessarily hire an attorney though - too expensive) with regard to your rims, etc.

And JesterRace, sorry about your dad... Tough times...
Old 06-14-2005, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by TheJesterRace
i know what you mean by unlucky week...my dad died last night....
I'm terrribly sorry about your father TheJesterRace. I'll keep you in my prayers. It just got a little worse. My dad told me that the guy DOESN'T have insurance on his yard! When he told me that yesterday, the anger of the whole situation began to set in. Furthermore, the old lady seemed to have lied and said she was at the light when it changed. That's bull. What person in their right mind would make a left turn at an intersection at the change of the light without yeilding or waiting for immediate oncoming traiffic to pass. She straight up lied!
Old 06-14-2005, 07:11 AM

thats weird, yesterday my friend, with a 96 max, went to move my car over in his driveway, doesnt det the parking brake and it rolls down his driveway acroos the street and into a mailbox and an adress sign. now i have to huge gashes in my bumper, and he broke my light too. oh and my girlfriend almost broke up with me as i was assessing the damage.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:54 AM

holy crap, this is insane!

id check ebay for your rims man, they might show up. good luck with everything, this is crazy.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:07 AM

It's looking better now. The body shop guy told me that if I buy the rims I'm trying to get off maxima.org right now, he will fix the car at no cost to me. I can't beat that. Thank God.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:58 AM

what did you do in your past life??? Karma is a muggleflupper

Sorry to hear that though
Old 06-16-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by athlon omega
It's looking better now. The body shop guy told me that if I buy the rims I'm trying to get off maxima.org right now, he will fix the car at no cost to me. I can't beat that. Thank God.

I'm glad to hear you are getting the repairs for free, but still, won't the woman's insurance have to cover the repairs anyway? If someone hits you, and it's their fault, their insurance pays and yours doesn't go up.

Her insurance should pay for your car repairs. Your parent's homeowners insurance MIGHT cover the stereo equipment and rims that were stolen. And the body shop guy should do more to make up for this if indeed her insurance ends up covering his repair costs!
Old 06-16-2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by TrackSmart
I'm glad to hear you are getting the repairs for free, but still, won't the woman's insurance have to cover the repairs anyway? If someone hits you, and it's their fault, their insurance pays and yours doesn't go up.

Her insurance should pay for your car repairs. Your parent's homeowners insurance MIGHT cover the stereo equipment and rims that were stolen. And the body shop guy should do more to make up for this if indeed her insurance ends up covering his repair costs!
The only thing is that I was the one who got the ticket. However, the lady could still be at some fault for the accident. My claims adjuster has not notified me yet of the final situation. My dad said that if the homeowners insurance coevered the cost, I would have to pay a $1000 deductable; my dad basically said it would be pointless unless the stuff was worth $3000 to $4000.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:25 PM

Find out how much the insurance would give you! You've got rims and tires that are $1000 alone. Then you've got at least $400 worth of stereo, right? Plus $100 for the radar detector.

If they were to cover $1500 then it would be worth the $1000 deductable. Unfortunately, they often give you "current value" rather than "replacement value" That means that you might not get the retail price. You just get the price you'd get if you sold this stuff for fair market value in the newspaper or on ebay.