4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

got some ECU codes - multiple cylinder misfire and knock sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 09:08 PM

got some ECU codes - multiple cylinder misfire and knock sensor

98 GXE with 74K miles on it. When I had it in for service at 69K miles the mechanic said that the starter was bad, so I'm wondering if that is what is rearing its ugly head. I also haven't replaced the spark plugs in quite some time so I'm wondering if that could help. As far as the knock sensor goes, I'm not sure if that is related or if it is a separate error. Back when my mechanic said that he could replace my starter, he quoted me something like $400 for the starter - any place I could get one cheaper if that's what needs to be done?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2005, 11:45 PM

Thats WAY too high for a starter....should only cost 80$ I think....check with autozone..also really easy to put one in on a max.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Post the codes please.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:58 AM

The codes are:

Seven Long, one short
Three Long, four short

If the starter motor and the knock sensor indeed needs to be replaced, and it is as easy as you say, then I may just go ahead and do it myself.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:02 AM

You say the spark plugs haven't been changed in quite some time. Have they ever been changed? They probably didn't need to be changed quite some time ago as in all likelihood the OEM NGK platinum plugs were probably in place, but they may in fact need replacing now. If they need to be replaced, use only NGK platinums or coppers.

If the starter motor truly needed to be replaced at 69K, I doubt it would have lasted to 74K. What makes your mechanic think it requires replacement?
Old 06-13-2005, 08:11 AM

I had some problems a while ago with the engine misfiring once in a blue moon, but it would appear that the problem had sorted itself out. The mechanic said it was the starter motor, but I opted not to have it done due to the high price and the fact that it wasn't giving me much hassle. I have not personally replaced the sparkplugs, but I got it used from a dealer at 39K miles, so I'm not sure of the status of them. Would the spark plugs be the first to look at? Can I get NGK platinums or coppers at a local autoparts store? Thank you very much for your help, let me know if you need any more information.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:39 AM

So the CEL turned itself off. Weird. Should I go ahead and do the spark plug replacement anyways?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by runelind
I had some problems a while ago with the engine misfiring once in a blue moon, but it would appear that the problem had sorted itself out. The mechanic said it was the starter motor, but I opted not to have it done due to the high price and the fact that it wasn't giving me much hassle. I have not personally replaced the sparkplugs, but I got it used from a dealer at 39K miles, so I'm not sure of the status of them. Would the spark plugs be the first to look at? Can I get NGK platinums or coppers at a local autoparts store? Thank you very much for your help, let me know if you need any more information.
if it wher my car i would change them just to be sure. also do my oil and filter just to get them all lined up. when you go in and change your plugs (DIY!) look at the tips and make sure theyre not burning bad. u can also check for any oil leak into a Sparkplug chamber which is not good.
i try my hardest not to go to a mechanic to save alot of money and DIY is way more fun u can do your starter too im sure of it
Old 06-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Do I get a tax break?

0701 - multiple cylinder misfire
0304 - knock sensor failure

The misfires probably triggered the knock sensor failure - so I wouldn't rush and replace the knock sensor just yet.

You can buy a rebuilt starter for 150-200 bucks. Replacing it yourself is easy - the toughest part is breaking one of the bolts loose. See www.motorvate.ca for instructions on removing/replacing the starter.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:33 PM

The CEL light will turn off then back on sometimes, whatever it said was wrong is still there. NGK plugs you usually have to order, unless someone has them in stock, I got mine from NAPA NGK laser platinum $13.?? each! But I the plugs I took out were the cheapest BOSCH plugs out there. I think its worth it in the long run. And you should do it yourself its pretty easy.

EDIT as far as multiple cylinder mis-fire I would check your electrical connections to any part that has to do with the cylinder itself, like coils, connectors to coils, make sure you don't have any bad fuses, I personally don't think that all or multiple of your sparkplugs, or coils, or injectors would all just go bad at once. I would guess it is something bigger that controls one of those components. Just my 2 Cents