4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suggestions before replacing struts.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:11 PM

Suggestions before replacing struts.

I'm picking up a set of new KYB GR2's tomorrow for $223. I know I'm going to need strut mount bearings so that's gonna have to be ordered from the dealer. I'll also need strut boots since the ones on mine have fallen apart. For this what do you guys recommend?

I read in the stickies that Advanced Auto has the "SB103 for the fronts (95' Mustang) and SB108 95' Miata (SB108) for the rears and should be pretty good for replacements. But I live in So. Cal. and we don't have Advanced Auto here (I believe). I just want something that is more reasonable-priced than the dealer.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Do I get a tax break?

You can also order the boots from tirerack.com.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
I read in the stickies that Advanced Auto has the "SB103 for the fronts (95' Mustang) and SB108 95' Miata (SB108) for the rears and should be pretty good for replacements. But I live in So. Cal. and we don't have Advanced Auto here (I believe). I just want something that is more reasonable-priced than the dealer.
advanced has discontinued selling those sadly. next best bet is go to tirerack.com and buy it from there mustang 95, and miata 95. should total to about $65 2 day ship.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:27 PM

I will check that out thanks.

Just called the local nissan stealer, and here's their prices:

$42 (each) bearings
$20 (each) front boot
$30 (each) rear boot
Old 06-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Do I get a tax break?

I know I didn't pay anywhere near that much when I bought OEM boots and bearings. Send Dan Tech an email or PM - look for his thread in the GD forum... He'll be able to get to WAY better prices.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:32 PM

Yea that price is highway robbery, its more than the price of half of a set of my new struts. I also emailed Pinnacle Nissan, maybe they can beat that price. Thanks again, will do.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:10 PM

Hey Dr-Max tell me how the ride feels when you get them on. Im in the market from aftermarket shocks and Im still undecided.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:19 PM

Yea boots and bump stops are hanius expensive
Old 06-14-2005, 08:09 PM

I know I need to get the strut bearings to get rid of that annoying sound I get when turning the steering wheel (different sound from a bad cv joint or rack 'n pinion).

I'm debating whether or not I really need those boots. I don't drive my car thru unpaved roads, and I totally avoid bad roads. Those types of elements would be bad if it gets to the piston rod and inside the inner cylinder as they would wreak havoc inside and cause dampening issues. Has anyone had any problems with their struts faily due to not having protective boots?

MaxxedOut624, I think part of the way a suspension setup feels is depending on how stiff or soft the springs are. I can tell you now that my ride will probably be the same, sorta stiff, becaue I have ground controls. I really wanted to get something else but money is tight right now however, I am definitely going to get new springs in a few months, most likely a set of S-Techs.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:20 AM

Just picked up a new set of GR2's. I'm getting ready to slap these babies on next week as soon as the strut bearings arrive. The only thing that is left for me to do is to find the best price in strut boots. Checked my local Autozone and they don't have anything but struts.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Armed and Dangerous

I would definately replace the boots. THe only other thing that you might want to replace is the rubber tube that goes on the bottom of the spring.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:58 AM

Are you talking about the black thing that goes around the spring coils (see photo):

Originally Posted by i30ds
I would definately replace the boots. THe only other thing that you might want to replace is the rubber tube that goes on the bottom of the spring.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Are you talking about the black thing that goes around the spring coils (see photo):
It would be the rubber on the very bottom of the spring, where it sits on the strut seat... that other stuff that is on there is something else that this guy must have added on himself. Looks interesting though. I wonder what it is called and where he got it.

Here it is on mine on the rear.

ANd on the front.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:48 PM

Ok, I got the front strut boots from Pep Boy's for $15 each. Still can't find cheaper rear ones.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Ok, I got the front strut boots from Pep Boy's for $15 each. Still can't find cheaper rear ones.
Dont forget that pinnicle can beat the dealer list on those rear boots by like 50%...
Old 06-16-2005, 09:48 PM

I agree...their price for the strut bearings is $24 each. And I just realized that the front boots I got from Pep Boys are $5 more than Pinnacle's. I'm returning the boots and ordering them from Pinnacle. However, Pinnacle's price on the rear boots are $21 each. I just found this from Summit racing. How good are these guys with their turn around providing that these parts are in stock?

Dont forget that pinnicle can beat the dealer list on those rear boots by like 50%...
Old 06-17-2005, 07:49 AM
Do I get a tax break?

DR-Max - the "rubber" part around the top and bottom coils (in i30ds's pics) is called a spring isolater. In your pics, it looks like the previous owner fabricated his own (as I ended up doing) using some rubber hose. I would definitely recommend replacing the isolaters, either with new factory ones, or buying some rubber tubing and doing a similar job as is shown on the springs. If you don't put the isolator on (or make your own) you will get all sorts of groaning/chattering sounds when you go over bumps... (its a common problem).
Old 06-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Armed and Dangerous

I agree...their price for the strut bearings is $24 each. And I just realized that the front boots I got from Pep Boys are $5 more than Pinnacle's. I'm returning the boots and ordering them from Pinnacle. However, Pinnacle's price on the rear boots are $21 each. I just found this from Summit racing. How good are these guys with their turn around providing that these parts are in stock?
Well, when I ordered my B&M STS from them, which they had in stock, it took only 3 days to get to me. They also sent me a free summit racing baseball cap and a $10 credit off my next purchase since I was a 1st time customer.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:18 AM

Those guys are really cool. I just placed my order too: strut bearings, and front/rear boots. I should get it in 3 days. I've shopped around and have not found any place that could beat their prices, dealer and independent auto supplies. As soon as I get these, my GR2's are going in.

Well, when I ordered my B&M STS from them, which they had in stock, it took only 3 days to get to me. They also sent me a free summit racing baseball cap and a $10 credit off my next purchase since I was a 1st time customer.

The guy that has that strut in the photo looks like he used some kind of spiral type wire loom as spring isolators. They are plastic and usually used to bundle computer wires and cables together. I have that in my car now as well.

Originally Posted by njmodi
the "rubber" part around the top and bottom coils (in i30ds's pics) is called a spring isolater. In your pics, it looks like the previous owner fabricated his own (as I ended up doing) using some rubber hose.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:45 AM
this place is dead

MaxxedOut624, I think part of the way a suspension setup feels is depending on how stiff or soft the springs are. I can tell you now that my ride will probably be the same, sorta stiff, becaue I have ground controls. I really wanted to get something else but money is tight right now however, I am definitely going to get new springs in a few months, most likely a set of S-Techs.
DR-Max,
Why are you changing to S-Techs? In your opinion is the ride with the GC's too harsh? I was thinking about picking some up, but I do a bit of auto-x and track days, I was planning on getting some Koni adjustable yellows to go with them.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:00 AM

Yep, GC's are too stiff for me. S-Techs are nicer but when you go that low, its really hard to keep that stock feel. The drop on my GC's are only at 1.6 and a little more in the back to level out the ride height.

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
DR-Max,
Why are you changing to S-Techs? In your opinion is the ride with the GC's too harsh? I was thinking about picking some up, but I do a bit of auto-x and track days, I was planning on getting some Koni adjustable yellows to go with them.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:01 PM
this place is dead

Yep, GC's are too stiff for me. S-Techs are nicer but when you go that low, its really hard to keep that stock feel. The drop on my GC's are only at 1.6 and a little more in the back to level out the ride height.
Thanks,
I guess I don't want the stock feel, plus a guy I know has corner weights, so I could slam it down to nothing before a auto-x or track day, providing I avoid speed bumps.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:09 PM

Koni yellows and GCs are ideal for auto-x'ing.

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
Thanks,
I guess I don't want the stock feel, plus a guy I know has corner weights, so I could slam it down to nothing before a auto-x or track day, providing I avoid speed bumps.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:23 AM

Eibach Pro Kit + GR2

Anyone has this combination? I know the Eibach's is a tad stiff, just don't know how compared to GC. Is it a bad idea to pair it up with the GR2?