4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

DIY time

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 05:25 AM

DIY time

I'm looking at a weeks vacation and I couldn't think of anything better 2 do than work on my MAX, I gonna do some maintanace work on it such as OIL change and the such, but I wanted to change the transmission fluid too, I know that it has to be changed while the motor is still hot so my question is would you recommend that I do it myself or take it to someone to get it done, also has someone ever changed a CV joint themselves, is it very hard cuz I wanted to get that done too and I can't really afford to have my car on all 4's too long since it's the only car I got

-Dexter
Old 06-20-2005, 06:46 AM
dot dot dot ...

Changing the drive axles is pretty easy. Get yourself a haynes manual for reference on all the items you listed. Check the 5th gen forums for a write-up on how to change the auto tranny fluid, it's in the stickys/how-tos.

Shouldn't take you more than a day's (6hours) work for the items listed.
What takes the longest is waiting for the fluid to drain.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:01 AM

When ws the transmission fluid last changed? You might want to consider taking it to a shop and getting it flushed, rather than doing the drain and fill yourself.

When was the radiator coolant last flushed? You also might want to take the car to a radiator shop and have them do a pH test of the coolant. They insert a piece of paper into the radiator and the color will indicate the conditon of the antifreeze. If required you could have them flush the radiator, back flush the cooling system and pressure test the system.

Transmission fluid and antifreeze should be replaced every 30,000 miles.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
When ws the transmission fluid last changed? You might want to consider taking it to a shop and getting it flushed, rather than doing the drain and fill yourself.

When was the radiator coolant last flushed? You also might want to take the car to a radiator shop and have them do a pH test of the coolant. They insert a piece of paper into the radiator and the color will indicate the conditon of the antifreeze. If required you could have them flush the radiator, back flush the cooling system and pressure test the system.

Transmission fluid and antifreeze should be replaced every 30,000 miles.
radiator fluid is still good, it's the tranny fluid that I dunno about.

-Dexter
Old 06-20-2005, 07:49 AM

Don't leave your work until the last day in case you have problems and need more time.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:52 AM

Don't leave your work until the last day in case you have problems and need more time.
gotcha, how can I tell if my tranny needs flushing?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:00 AM

I am no expert on automatic transmission as I have never owned an automatic. Take out the dipstick and describe the color of the fluid. I believe it should be pink. I have also been told that if it needs changing it will smell kind of funny - a burnt smell or a smell similar to cork or something like that.

For starters, how long have you owned the car and how many miles have you put on it? Like I said transmission fluid should be replaced every 30K or two years, but I suspect you could go longer than two years if you don't put 15K on a year.

If you are concerned about the transmission fluid, then replace it or get it replaced.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:06 AM

I am no expert on automatic transmission as I have never owned an automatic. Take out the dipstick and describe the color of the fluid. I believe it should be pink. I have also been told that if it needs changing it will smell kind of funny - a burnt smell or a smell similar to cork or something like that.

For starters, how long have you owned the car and how many miles have you put on it? Like I said transmission fluid should be replaced every 30K or two years, but I suspect you could go longer than two years if you don't put 15K on a year.

If you are concerned about the transmission fluid, then replace it or get it replaced.
color, darkish pinkish, don't remember if it smells funky or not i'd have to check i bought it last november (10k miles ran since) and suposedly tranny fluid was new when I bought it the only think I am certain that needs changing is engine lubricant and cv boot, the rest i'm trying to see if they really could use change since i'm already gonna be under the hood (might as well work on the other stuff IF they need it)

-Dexter
Old 06-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Maxamillione

My tranny fluid pan had a cracked seal so did the tranny fluid + filter and an oil change over the weekend. Bought my max about a year ago and not sure how long it was before that since the tranny fluid was done. The **** definitely wasn't pink though, more like chocolate milk "O.o". All in all, about 2 hours - piece of cake.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:58 AM

Do some simple free or almost free mods.
Clear tails, LED guage needels, led this that and the other, hacked airbox etc
Old 06-20-2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maxamillione
My tranny fluid pan had a cracked seal so did the tranny fluid + filter and an oil change over the weekend. Bought my max about a year ago and not sure how long it was before that since the tranny fluid was done. The **** definitely wasn't pink though, more like chocolate milk "O.o". All in all, about 2 hours - piece of cake.
that color exactly.

-Dexter
Old 06-20-2005, 12:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Get yourself a haynes manual for reference on all the items you listed. Check the 5th gen forums for a write-up on how to change the auto tranny fluid, it's in the stickys/how-tos.
What takes the longest is waiting for the fluid to drain
I'd suggest what he said
Old 06-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im trying to find a DIY on my 96 maxima...front brake pads..the dealership said i wouldn't have to change the shims but i'm not sure. and also, how much torque i'd need to apply to the bolts after i'm done. any help would be appreciated
Old 06-20-2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by sdsamaurai82
im trying to find a DIY on my 96 maxima...front brake pads..the dealership said i wouldn't have to change the shims but i'm not sure. and also, how much torque i'd need to apply to the bolts after i'm done. any help would be appreciated
did you check the FAQ's? motorvate.com? or your HAYNES manual?

-Dexter
Old 06-20-2005, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dexter
did you check the FAQ's? motorvate.com? or your HAYNES manual?

-Dexter
You da man, Dexter, lol!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:59 AM

You da man, Dexter, lol!
I know.

-Dexter
Old 06-21-2005, 08:02 AM
MaximaPWR

Hope all goes well and good luck on the oil changes.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaPWR
Hope all goes well and good luck on the oil changes.
thanks, that little video of yours is hilarious
Old 06-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Dexter
thanks, that little video of yours is hilarious
It looks like the guy's about to dry hump her as he falls.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:28 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

replacing a drive axle should take you about 30-40 mins tops, it took me that long taking it out of one car and putting it into another. Flushing the fluid should be done at a shop only if you want the entire fluid to be flushed, like aamco's power purge. You can flush the fluid yourself, but its most likely going to be around 1/3-1/2 of the fluid. Oil changes are very easy on maximas, it'll take you around 20 mins if you're doing it the first time. These things def. should NOT take you all day. A few hours at the most.