4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

lowering springs, air intakes, short shifters_which ones

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 07:47 PM

lowering springs, air intakes, short shifters_which ones

OK Maxima Masters, here's are a couple simple inquiries that I'm sure there are threads existing for, but perhaps someone can point them out to me or just make comments here...(I've spent lots of time searching, but didn't find direct answers to these exact questions below)...

lowering springs:
I would like to lower my 96 maxSE 5-spd for looks and performance, but it's my daily driver and I'm not doing any aggresive racing at all. I see plenty of $50 to $70 options on ebay, and $250 options like Eibachs on redlinemax.com. I want something decent and not poor quality, but not the highest either.
Can someone comment on the range of cheaper stuff on ebay ($50-$70) and what I am considering, which is the Tein S-Techs($130 to $170).

air intake:
Same deal here with stuff on ebay from like $15 to high end $200 stuff. Again, not looking for mega high quality or mega low quality, something affordable in the middle, but if the $15 to $20 stuff on ebay will "do the job", then I'm game...comments?

lastly, short shifters, what should I expect to pay, cause I see again on ebay for $20 to $120 ... what should I be looking for?
Old 06-25-2005, 08:04 PM
I Broke OT

wow, are you sure you've been searching? all three of these can be answered on almost every page of posts.
but to help you out, since you asked so nicely, if you plan to drop more than an inch or so, from what i've gathered, expect your stock struts to blow ridiculously soon. some people have had better luck than others, but don't count on it. you will need to buy aftermarket struts, KYB AGK's, Tokico Illuminas, (even HP's for a small drop. those are also Tokico's.) stickies for that.
for intake, to get the sound, you might as well spend as little as possible on a CAI from ebay. gains are not gained from CAI's for the Max. the best thing to do for gains and a sound improvement would be to hack your existing airbox. (stickies)
for shifter's, don't go ebay as many snap or feel bad. (however, $20 is a very small investment, and a cheap price to pay to learn a lesson.)
go B&M or courtesynissan. there are many posts on this also.

good look on your mods.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:23 PM

thanks...

Thanks 86Maxima96! I know/knew there is stuff (stickies) on these inquiries, and that members kinda look down on posts for already existing answers, but I just did not find comments on things off ebay specificaly, and brands too I guess. I'll invest more time in more searching.

Thanks for the tip on the short shifter too. The CAI, didn't expect much HP increase, but if is simplifies the current arrangement some, I'll go ahead with the small investment too.

As for the shocks, it sounds like I'd have to spen d the money on struts too! I didn't expect that ... I should've considered the idea of dropping it approx 1.5" would impact strut performance. Hmm, don't hink I can afford all new struts too, not this time around.

Thanks again!

still open to more comments if anyone care to leave some....
Old 06-25-2005, 08:28 PM
V^___^V

for lowering:
get tein s-tech w/ kyb agx shocks

for intakes:
get bomz intake w/ real K&N filter

the price for this setup is not too expensive and it'll last for awhile. but if u decide to get those cheap ebay items... well, u pay what u get...