4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Red LED under steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 10:18 PM

I just noticed a small, red LED way under the steering wheel. I am not sure what it is there for. Does everyone else have them? What is its purpose? BTW I only had my max for about 2 weeks. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2001, 06:52 AM

Does it blink or stay solid when you lock the doors? I think you are referring to the LED for the security system.
Old 05-23-2001, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by abnorm
I just noticed a small, red LED way under the steering wheel. I am not sure what it is there for. Does everyone else have them? What is its purpose? BTW I only had my max for about 2 weeks. Thanks!
My car does not have this LED. Does your Maxima have any aftermarket accessories? Is the LED off, on, or flashing?
Old 05-23-2001, 07:47 AM

My 96 Max GXE has that too. I bought it brand new. It is not the security LED which is on the left side of the steering wheel, which will be blinking about half minute after I lock the door. It is the one on lower, right side of the steering wheel. If I sit in and look at the gas padel, I can see this LED is in the line of my view. There are two screws holding this LED to the lower panel.

I knew it is there but never paid attention to it ever since. Probably tomorrow I'll have dealer do the 30K major maintenence, and I'll ask them.
Old 05-23-2001, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by jiaxima96
My 96 Max GXE has that too. I bought it brand new. It is not the security LED which is on the left side of the steering wheel, which will be blinking about half minute after I lock the door. It is the one on lower, right side of the steering wheel. If I sit in and look at the gas padel, I can see this LED is in the line of my view. There are two screws holding this LED to the lower panel.

I knew it is there but never paid attention to it ever since. Probably tomorrow I'll have dealer do the 30K major maintenence, and I'll ask them.
Yes exactly! That's the one I am talking about. I haven't seen it flash, and I don't think it's an alarm. Anyone knows???
Old 05-24-2001, 11:02 AM

Anyone knows?
Old 05-24-2001, 11:08 AM

Tomorrow I will have dealer do the 30K major service. I'll ask them about it. When I booked the time yesterday they said they would take a look at it. I think they were busy when I called.

I'll post it tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2001, 08:56 AM

I just came back from my dealer for 30K service. A salesman who gave my ride home expained it: with S/C package, Maxima and Quest of some years has that LED as a secondary security (that's what they call it). In normal operation when you lock the door, the second LED does not blink. But for any reason if the alarm sets off, the second LED will blink in sync with the headlight, and the ignition can't be started.

He also said on the Quest (a suttle I was in), at the back of that second LED, there is a push-push switch that toggles between enabling and disabling the ignition.

That is pretty much all info I got from that dealer. After I get my car back I'll check it out.
Old 05-25-2001, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by jiaxima96
I just came back from my dealer for 30K service. A salesman who gave my ride home expained it: with S/C package, Maxima and Quest of some years has that LED as a secondary security (that's what they call it). In normal operation when you lock the door, the second LED does not blink. But for any reason if the alarm sets off, the second LED will blink in sync with the headlight, and the ignition can't be started.

He also said on the Quest (a suttle I was in), at the back of that second LED, there is a push-push switch that toggles between enabling and disabling the ignition.

That is pretty much all info I got from that dealer. After I get my car back I'll check it out.
Thank you very much for the info! That's interesting, because I don't think I have an S/C package or an alarm system for that matter.
Old 05-25-2001, 02:43 PM

I got my car back after 30K service. I tried the panic button until the alarm set off, but the 2nd LED still didn't do anything, no blinking. There is no push-push switch at the back of this LED. I'll ask them again next time. Never mind meanwhile, as I never expected it to be a feature since I took delivery. I don't think it is in the owner's manual either.
Old 05-25-2001, 02:46 PM

I checked earlier and couldn't find it in the owner's manual. It's just interesting what it is really there for. I can't believe that no one else saw it.
Old 05-25-2001, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by abnorm
I checked earlier and couldn't find it in the owner's manual. ...
This observation strengthens the hypothesis that this LED is part of an aftermarket accessory.