4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wierd Squeal Noise....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 12:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Its wierd. It doesn't matter if the car is in gear or not. The faster I go, the higher pitch it gets. I don't feel its transmission since it can happen when its in neutral....and the car is still moving. When driving 35mph or so on the road it sounds like a soft circular saw in the distance. (Goofy description..I know.)

The squeal is not loud at all. But it's persistant. If I'm going 2MPH it's really low sounding. But it stops when the cars stops moving and starts up slowy as the car slowly moves.

Any ideas?
Old 05-23-2001, 02:33 PM

This may not be the sound your're talking about, but if you have an amp in your car, sometimes if its not wired right, it makes a funny sound. My friend's car was like that, when he accelerated it got louder, and the faster he went an so on. But I could be way off, so...
Old 05-23-2001, 03:53 PM

THanks for the reply. But unfortunately I don't have an amp. But you've got the right idea of the sound. It almost sounds like its coming from the front of car. Like Front right wheel...tuff to tell though....
Old 05-23-2001, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by max!mus
THanks for the reply. But unfortunately I don't have an amp. But you've got the right idea of the sound. It almost sounds like its coming from the front of car. Like Front right wheel...tuff to tell though....
Maybe look around the front wheels. It could be something scraping against the brake rotor. Have you ever been in an accident? My front right wheel makes a scraping noise at certain speeds. When my window is down I can here it. When I slow down it gets loud, but once I get up to speed it goes away a little.
Old 05-23-2001, 06:07 PM

does your car make clicking noises when you turn the wheel while moving?

if you get a look under the car, check to see if the CV joints are intact... they're the accordian looking rubber boots. there is one on each side on the half shafts coming out of the transmission and another near each wheel for a total of 4.

if they're torn or broke or cracked, that could be a bad sign. these boots hold contain grease and are designed to keep the CV joints free of debris, and to keep them lubricated. if they are busted, the grease may have run out and the joints may be running dry. or contimation might have gotten inside, like rocks, etc... chewing up your CV joints.

could be the wheel bearings wearing out as well. how many miles does your car have?

-V
Old 05-23-2001, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by vmok
does your car make clicking noises when you turn the wheel while moving?

if you get a look under the car, check to see if the CV joints are intact... they're the accordian looking rubber boots. there is one on each side on the half shafts coming out of the transmission and another near each wheel for a total of 4.

if they're torn or broke or cracked, that could be a bad sign. these boots hold contain grease and are designed to keep the CV joints free of debris, and to keep them lubricated. if they are busted, the grease may have run out and the joints may be running dry. or contimation might have gotten inside, like rocks, etc... chewing up your CV joints.

could be the wheel bearings wearing out as well. how many miles does your car have?

I wasnt sure if you were replying to me or not but it does make a noise when I turn my wheel, so I will check it out. Thanks

-V
Old 05-24-2001, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by hattyhat
The car has 48,000 miles on it. I never thought of the CV Boot. I'll have to look into that....any other ideas?
Old 05-24-2001, 06:40 AM

It could also be the wear indictors on your brakes. They are designed to make a metal-against-metal grinding noise when the pads are almost gone. I would check that ASAP.
Old 05-24-2001, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by hattyhat
This may not be the sound your're talking about, but if you have an amp in your car, sometimes if its not wired right, it makes a funny sound. My friend's car was like that, when he accelerated it got louder, and the faster he went an so on. But I could be way off, so...
I had that sound in my 92 Max with an amp installed, I loved it, sounded like a turbo!