4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is this possible...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 07:45 AM

Is this possible and what would be an estimated quarter mile time.

4th gen maxima:

Engine swap with 6th gen= 260hp
Dual Exhaust upgrade = 270hp
3" cattman y-pipe = 280hp
Stillen Supercharger = 360hp
underdrive pulleys = 365hp
75-shot NOS = 440hp
Don's VB Mod on automatic
Old 05-24-2001, 07:43 PM

anybody?
Old 05-25-2001, 01:37 AM

i dont think so

but i dont know about the 6th gen, however i do know tha thte 4 and 5 gen are only different engines regardinng the exhaust system. i do know that pulleys do NOT add hp, they free up hp. Also i dont believe a 3 inch y pipe would benefit you unless you had a turbo/SC car. A three inch pipe would not benefit you unless you had one of those. correct me if i am wrong but i dontthink what you have listed is possible. were does the dual exhaust come from? i know some people have it, but i didnt htink it was doable because fo the location of the spare tire etc.
Old 05-25-2001, 04:46 AM

Yeah possible, estimate cost = $20,000.

What makes it even more funny is that AUTOMATIC part. 440 HP on an automatic, that would be real fun.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:17 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't a supercharger on the list??? wouldn't that mean a 3" y-pipe WOULD benefit the mods of this car?? I know pulleys don't ADD horsepower but the point, there is more hp than before...*******. And what makes you say where does the dual exhaust come from if other people have done it...wouldn't that mean it IS doable...f*ckin *****.
So let's say it's on a 5-speed, my question is if it's possible and what kind of quarter mile times this could produce??
Old 05-25-2001, 11:28 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Andre 3000
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't a supercharger on the list??? wouldn't that mean a 3" y-pipe WOULD benefit the mods of this car?? I know pulleys don't ADD horsepower but the point, there is more hp than before...*******. And what makes you say where does the dual exhaust come from if other people have done it...wouldn't that mean it IS doable...f*ckin *****.
So let's say it's on a 5-speed, my question is if it's possible and what kind of quarter mile times this could produce??
Anything is possible, but some of your comments are ignorant of what a Max can really be modded up to in a realistic fashion. The engine swap would be many thousands of dollars while the Dual exhaust is not realistically possible but can be for $$$$ as well.....

Doing a search for posts by member "Don in Texas" or visiting his mobiletek.com website may help shed some light on maximum upgrades and their specific benefits in the 1/4 mile.....

I *think* Don was running 12s with the NOS and MANY other mods....
Old 05-25-2001, 11:46 AM

wow dont ask a question if you dont want a realistic answer

do you want me to be happy for you for thinking up this awesome idea. Way to go, good job. I am proud of you for thinking this whole idea through. Pulleys only free up hp, since you knew this, why did you put +5 hp? Well hey man if youve got that much cash to blow be my guest. I was just stating what i thought trying to be of some help. Putting a jet engine on a maxima is doable but that doesnt mean that people are realistically going to do that. If you check the other threads there have been discussions regarding dual exhaust and the general concensus was that it wasnt doable/worth it whatever. Also notice that repeatedly in my post i included correct me if i am wrong, i dont claim to know more than most, however i do know enough to give well thought out, intelligent replies. Dont post a question if you arent willing to accept answers that you might not necessarily like. Oh yah, you forgot to include slicks on your list. Why a 6th gen engine, why not put a McLaren engine in it? Remember all things are possible depending on how much you are willing to spend. One last thing, see how i included no profanities in my post and no direct insults and i get my point across probably a little bit better than you.
Old 05-25-2001, 12:34 PM

Re: wow dont ask a question if you dont want a realistic answer

Originally posted by Justin95SE
Why a 6th gen engine, why not put a McLaren engine in it?

i still don't understand how you can tell me that people say the dual exhaust can't be done when several people have done it. but that's besides the point. my question was, is that possible. obviously, everyone who replied said it wasn't and i accpeted that. they answered my question and so did you. THANKS, but you are talking about stuff like a 3" pipe won't benefit unless the car is supercharged, which i know...and a supercharger was on the list.

I have one question for you. When people who own honda/acura do an engine swap, do you say to yourself "why don't they just use a mclaren engine?" Would you say to Don In Texas who is building his own engine "why don't you just build a 10 cylinder viper engine?" I accept comments and opinions, and that's what i asked the question for.
Old 05-25-2001, 12:59 PM

maybe you shouldnt be a jerk about it then...

ever think about that??? And i misread the list about the SC.
Old 05-25-2001, 04:56 PM
The missing moderator

I hate to generalize... but a lot of folks here are extremely ungreatful. You ask a question, someone answer... the answer isn't what you like... you call them name. If you think you won't like the answer, don't ask it. If you are going to ask, expect answers that you might not like. This isn't a kiss *** service.... so get used to it.

-Shing
Old 05-25-2001, 05:36 PM

You people have been very rude to each other here lately. Why not just calm down. Recently I posted something in this area when it should have been in ot. It was not moved without about 6 people saying why dont you try the ot next time. I dont like the attitude around here lately. Now as far as the answer to this question goes. Lets first look at his title "newbie". This should clue you into thinking that he has not been here long your only making things worse for the new ones here when you say stuff like." Why not put a mclaren engine in it". Is that really worth anything.
I dont think so.
As far as your question goes I think the swap to a 6th gen engine would be alot more work then you might think. As far as that horse power number mmmmmm not sure about that. If the new 3.5 liter engine is just a bored over 3.0l then superchargomg this motor could get risky due to a smaller wall on the block. Plus I dont think you want that many ponies in a front wheel drive car. If though you think you have the $$$ for this project I say go for it. Otherwise just supercharge your current motor.
Old 05-25-2001, 05:40 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Old 05-25-2001, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Shingles
I hate to generalize... but a lot of folks here are extremely ungreatful. You ask a question, someone answer... the answer isn't what you like... you call them name. If you think you won't like the answer, don't ask it. If you are going to ask, expect answers that you might not like. This isn't a kiss *** service.... so get used to it.

-Shing
i posted this question for an answer which more than one person gave me. i don't have a problem with the answers i received. this guy, however, is telling me things that he misread, which has now been explained. i wasn't upset at his answer, i didn't even get upset at the guy who laughed at my goal quarter mile times.i just see a lot of posts where people either misread, or don't fully read posts and make replies that make no sense. i apologize for the name calling, but some things i just don't understand.

peace
Old 05-26-2001, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by infinitiblast
You people have been very rude to each other here lately. Why not just calm down.

Because of the ungratefulness of new members who don't seem to comprehend or respect how difficult it's been to raise a successful website that is truly a resource for ALL Maxima owners and enthusiasts.

Recently I posted something in this area when it should have been in ot. It was not moved without about 6 people saying why dont you try the ot next time. I dont like the attitude around here lately.

Then lead by example and think about where posts should go in the first place. Then you won't be concerned about it.

Now as far as the answer to this question goes. Lets first look at his title "newbie". This should clue you into thinking that he has not been here long your only making things worse for the new ones here when you say stuff like."

I expect members here to be able to read and construct sentences, or they shouldn't be here. There are VERY helpful sticky posts and FAQ sections that should be researched thoroughly before asking questions. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask newbies to actually do something before wasting log space with repeated questions. To clarify, this particular topic is really not relevant to my statements, but rather a reply to your complaint.

Why not put a mclaren engine in it". Is that really worth anything.

Unfortunately, being a bit rude is the only thing that ungrateful posters seem to understand. You're right, it probably wasn't necessary here, as I could tell the poster of the topic did do some research.

I've tried many different approaches. I start polite, but then turn rude quickly to make posters understand that this is NOT a sponge, but rather a resource.

I dont think so.

That's fine. That's your opinion.
Old 05-26-2001, 06:48 AM

So why isn't this either in Off-topic or locked yet? We are speculating on something that doesn't exist on the road yet.
Old 05-26-2001, 06:52 AM

The one and only moderator. For once why dont you not take the whole moderator thing to your head and keep you damn mouth shut. You always respond to my post like I'm some type of evil person. You are one of the ones that highlighted my mistake of posting in the wrong spot last time. What the heck is this "because the new ones that dont seem to comprehend or respect how difficult its been to raise a successful website". What does that have to do with this post. All he did was ask a question. Are. You. Saying. That. I. Dont. Know. How. To. Type. Complete. Sentences.
I'm. so. sorry. that. this. offended. you. Maybe. for. once. answer. the. post. instead. of. starting. stuff. with. someone. who. did. answer. the. post.
I. hate. this. I. just. cant. seem. to. get. a. full. sentence. typed.

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Because of the ungratefulness of new members who don't seem to comprehend or respect how difficult it's been to raise a successful website that is truly a resource for ALL Maxima owners and enthusiasts.

[/B]

Then lead by example and think about where posts should go in the first place. Then you won't be concerned about it.

[/B]

I expect members here to be able to read and construct sentences, or they shouldn't be here. There are VERY helpful sticky posts and FAQ sections that should be researched thoroughly before asking questions. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask newbies to actually do something before wasting log space with repeated questions. To clarify, this particular topic is really not relevant to my statements, but rather a reply to your complaint.

[/B]

Unfortunately, being a bit rude is the only thing that ungrateful posters seem to understand. You're right, it probably wasn't necessary here, as I could tell the poster of the topic did do some research.

I've tried many different approaches. I start polite, but then turn rude quickly to make posters understand that this is NOT a sponge, but rather a resource.

[/B]

That's fine. That's your opinion. [/B]
Old 05-26-2001, 06:57 AM

I'm not trying tobe a jerk, But I've been on this forum sinc August 2000. I'm a ewbie because 've had about 3 name changes. I did my research as you have stated. My only question was if what I listed was realisticly possible ad what kind of times to expect if it was. Many people see newbie listed under a persons name and immediately assume they know nothing. In some, cases this is true, but not all, even for the real newbies.
I don't feel this post belonged in off-topic,because it is a question directly related to the mods of a 4th gen maxima.
Old 05-26-2001, 06:59 AM

When I said the stuff about you being a newbie it was not because I thought you knew nothing. It just that if you new here I think people should respect your questions more and not **** you off. But since youve been here a while then you already know what is all about around here.

Originally posted by Andre 3000
I'm not trying tobe a jerk, But I've been on this forum sinc August 2000. I'm a ewbie because 've had about 3 name changes. I did my research as you have stated. My only question was if what I listed was realisticly possible ad what kind of times to expect if it was. Many people see newbie listed under a persons name and immediately assume they know nothing. In some, cases this is true, but not all, even for the real newbies.
I don't feel this post belonged in off-topic,because it is a question directly related to the mods of a 4th gen maxima.
Old 05-26-2001, 07:02 AM

The one and only moderator. For once why dont you not take the whole moderator thing to your head and keep you damn mouth shut. You always respond to my post like I'm some type of evil person. You are one of the ones that highlighted my mistake of posting in the wrong spot last time. What the heck is this "because the new ones that dont seem to comprehend or respect how difficult its been to raise a successful website". What does that have to do with this post. All he did was ask a question. Are. You. Saying. That. I. Dont. Know. How. To. Type. Complete. Sentences.
I'm. so. sorry. that. this. offended. you. Maybe. for. once. answer. the. post. instead. of. starting. stuff. with. someone. who. did. answer. the. post.
I. hate. this. I. just. cant. seem. to. get. a. full. sentence. typed.

LMAO
Old 05-26-2001, 07:19 AM

Andre, I understood why it belonged here originally, but since it slid so far off topic, it should have been moved. Nothing against the question, but we know little about this engine still.
Old 05-26-2001, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic

Andre, I understood why it belonged here originally, but since it slid so far off topic, it should have been moved. Nothing against the question, but we know little about this engine still.
ok, i understand now
Old 05-26-2001, 12:48 PM

BACK TO THE QUESTION...

Why wait? Why not take the 3.5L from the 5sp Pathfinder which puts out 250hp and SC that? It's avaiable now and is simply a VQ35 engine. My guess is that the SC should bolt in, though the mounts, etc are completely different since the engine in the Pathfinder is mounted Longitudially and it's mounted transverse in the Maxima...

Re: only difference between 4th gen and 5th gen, the intake manifold are different as well. The 4th is metal, the 5th is composite. Also I believe the 5th has a variable volume intake, to help the top end out where the 4th gen starts to loose power early. I think the pathfinder VQ35 also has this variable intake.

-V
Old 05-26-2001, 01:17 PM

first of all I didnt read everyones remarks, so be cool my brothers :d
Andre 3000 is you are thinking of putting that engine on to your 4th get auto tranny, good luck mo matter if you have the vb mod, it still wont last. You might as well get a 6 speed from the new max {hopefully a 6 speed}
I think its you can do it but with all that cash you will spend might as well get a new maxima. Or a new altima and boost it.
Old 05-26-2001, 02:03 PM
The missing moderator

I can understand wanting to make a family sedan fast... but if you consider the cost of all of these things, you could probably step up to something else that will be as fast, stock, and will have warranty.

I mean, sure, we all want to be "different" but modding a maxima was different last year. now it's pretty popular. I suppose it's really your call, your money. But to me, spending $20k to mod the maxima wouldn't be something I think is "practical". heck, you could build a sub ten second "econo" box for $10k... and put the other $10k into a nice savings somewhere or put it towards maxima payment if you have one still.

-Shing
Old 05-29-2001, 06:17 AM

The one and only moderator. For once why dont you not take the whole moderator thing to your head and keep you damn mouth shut.

Don't hate me because I'm a moderator and you're not.

You always respond to my post like I'm some type of evil person.

Show me 5 examples.

And no I do not. My comments addressed your complaint and ways that you yourself could help out.

You are one of the ones that highlighted my mistake of posting in the wrong spot last time.

And you're the one who is ultimately responsible for where a post should go. I still don't get your hostility about this....

What the heck is this "because the new ones that dont seem to comprehend or respect how difficult its been to raise a successful website".

By that I mean those who don't bother researching typical questions and want answers at their convenience which is usually at the expense of someone else who has already done all the footwork.

What does at have to do with this post.

You brought it up first yourself with the "Why are you all being so mean, blah blah blah"

All he did was ask a question.

And, once again, you issued a complaint within the topic and I answered it. I'm sorry you don't like/agree with the answer, but it's still the answer.

Are. You. Saying. That. I. Dont. Know. How. To. Type. Complete. Sentences. I'm. so. sorry. that. this. offended. you. Maybe. for. once. answer. the. post. instead. of. starting. stuff. with. someone. who. did. answer. the. post. I. hate. this. I. just. cant. seem. to. get. a. full. sentence. typed.
hehe, so I'm the problem, huh?

If you will take the time and actually read my responses, the "read and type in complete sentences" comment WAS NOT directed at you personally. The only thing I asked you to do was take responsibility for YOUR OWN POSTS, including where they are located. Then, there won't be problems with them.

Furthermore, I did answer the post. The member didn't like the responses. It's tough sometimes to hear the truth, but that's what us "old members" do because we've seen/discussed possibilities ad nauseum.
Old 05-29-2001, 08:43 AM

Bill, there was NO NEED to start this up again. This thread was 3 days old, started to bury itself, and you just started it again. Not cool at all.
Old 05-29-2001, 09:59 AM

Thats exactly why I did not respond to his remarks. Its over with.
Old 05-29-2001, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Bill, there was NO NEED to start this up again. This thread was 3 days old, started to bury itself, and you just started it again. Not cool at all.
I'll remember that next time and not let you defend yourself either.
Old 05-29-2001, 10:12 AM

Bill you need to shut up your only asking for it. Like I said before stop taking the moderator thing to your head.

Old 05-29-2001, 10:30 AM

Bill you need to shut up your only asking for it. Like I said before stop taking the moderator thing to your head.
What am I asking for?

All I did was defend my statements because they were misunderstood.

BTW, I have no moderating powers on this particular forum so there is nothing getting to my head. But as long as you continue trying to re-phrase my posts, I'll continue to repeat what I've said.
Old 05-29-2001, 10:47 AM

Ok then bill what exactly does the below statement mean. Frist off who is you and why are you not letting this person defend themselves next time please explain.

Old 05-29-2001, 10:57 AM

I'll try:

Ok then bill what exactly does the below statement mean. Frist off who is you and why are you not letting this person defend themselves next time please explain.
Here was his post that triggered my response:

Originally posted by medicsonic Bill, there was NO NEED to start this up again. This thread was 3 days old, started to bury itself, and you just started it again. Not cool at all.
I simply responded that if he responds to a post a couple of days later and it is in a forum that I'm moderating it will be removed. According to medicsonic, you get less than a couple of days to respond. If you don't respond within a certain timeframe, then you can't respond. I was just letting him know that if he does it, it will be removed so that his beliefs remain consistent. But I don't expect that to happen, and I disagree with his contention that since it's been a couple of days I can't respond.
Old 05-29-2001, 11:09 AM
I'm needing a caw

Uh, let me shed some light on the subject. You might be asking why this person got some many smart assed responses. It's probably because his question must take so many assumptions, it's pretty ridiculas. There way to many "if this or if that" really to make a reasonable answer. You just can't add something and expect it to automatically add xxx amount of horsepower.

Ask yourself this. "If" such a swap was even possible, why have we not seen even ONE VQ into a VG powered Maxima? That would be one of the easier swaps possible.
Old 05-29-2001, 11:11 AM

Re: I'll try:

Ah I see and you were able to figure all this out with his simple post. Not bad you must be good.

Here was his post that triggered my response:

I simply responded that if he responds to a post a couple of days later and it is in a forum that I'm moderating it will be removed. According to medicsonic, you get less than a couple of days to respond. If you don't respond within a certain timeframe, then you can't respond. I was just letting him know that if he does it, it will be removed so that his beliefs remain consistent. But I don't expect that to happen, and I disagree with his contention that since it's been a couple of days I can't respond.
Old 05-29-2001, 11:17 AM

For the price of all those mods, you might as well go out and buy a real sports sedan! Seriously, tire smoking horsepower is great, but how are you going make the car handle all that power and maintain a level of streetability for a daily driver?

I love my Maxima, and in the modified form that it is in now, it accelerates fine and handles well. But I would trade it for the less powerful but far more tossable BMW 325i anyday.
Old 05-29-2001, 11:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If I were to think about the Dollar to HP part of it............

I would think this whole mod would cost over $15,000 to do. I would sell my car and get a Supra Turbo, an RX7 Turbo or an 300ZX Twin Turbo. To get over 400HP out of the Max, wouldn't there be other upgrade like stronger CV joints and full transmission replacement(Level 10)? We don't have to get into the block itself(to much to talk about).