4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 04:53 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
crap i have the same problem.... the green light on the cruise control turns on but the crusie control light just blinks on and off when i try to use it... i have changed that stupid ASCD relay and nothing got fixed... WTF
what does ASCD stand for?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by cardana24
what does ASCD stand for?
automatic speed control device
Old 07-18-2006, 07:49 AM

Hope these help im gonna go check it out myself right now

Old 07-18-2006, 10:51 AM

i just checked mine and it looks like its the ASCD brake switch... this sucks cuz its near impossible to get to....
Old 07-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Blown

i just checked mine and it looks like its the ASCD brake switch... this sucks cuz its near impossible to get to....
the switch on the back of the pedel is hard to get to? if its touching the switch then you may just need to adjust it back a little bit so it does not touch the switch while the brake is not being pushed
Old 04-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Blown

did any one figure anything out with this? I should have some time to mess with it this weekend.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:14 PM

I too have a GXE that the cruise does not function on. Maybe we should start a club? But then again my car's nickname is Katrina for a reason. Amazing how 3 feet of swamp water can turn a nice car sour. No pun intended...
Old 04-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

same problem here. i have a 95 SE and i when i first bought the car the cruise worked. I used it once for maybe a minute to see if it was working and it worked perfect. then after that one time, it stopped. the switch on the panel lights up but the switches on the steerling wheel do not illuminate anymore. anybody have the same problem with the switches not glowing on the steering wheel?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:42 AM

My lights on the wheel don't illuminate but the switch on the dash lights up and I can hear the relay close when pushed. I am guessing its a problem with either the brake pedal switch like the others mentioned or something to do with the vacuum unit in the engine bay.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:57 PM
The Golden One

I'm going to go look at this again. I sold my first max (the 97 GXE) that had this problem and now my 99 has the same problem. I'm not too good at this stuff...but I'm gonna follow the Nissan Manual step by step and see what I can find.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:09 PM
The Golden One

Well...lol...I consider myself lucky. I swapped the brown ASCD relay in the fusebox located next to the timing chain with another brown one from the same fusebox, and reseated the plug on the actual computer itself and that was it. My cruise is back. Or maybe it never left and I was just initiating it wrong? I just got this car in November who knows.

Sorry I don't have anything more concrete for you guys. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:33 PM

after driving myself wacko trying to diagnose this same problem on both my 95 and 96, I finally changed the vacuum module on the engine bay(auto)...presto it works! My symptoms on BOTH cars were: cruise light activated by dash control but no (engaged) light from steering column "set" button...the 96 5speed worked after the clutch switch was adjusted. Between the clutch sensor switch adjustment(5speed) and the vacuum module(auto) both SE's have cruise control again
Old 06-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mouse chewed up cruise control wires?

Hello,

I don't know much about under the hood to know what is what. But few years ago, when I was driving and turned on the windshield wiper fluid, fluid was pumping and dumping under the car. I pulled the fluid tube and looks like rodent chewed it up. I did quick repair job by cutting the damaged portion of tube and connecting the straw between the two parts, then taping it real tight with saran wrap for water proof and tape for adhesion.

For few years now it hasn't given me trouble.

But real problem is I actually see small electrical wires (about 2 bundles) chewed up and detached. These wires are located when you are looking at the car under the hood from front, it is tucked in far right corner right underneath the driver's side windshield. I drove my car and noticed cruise control is the only thing not working.

It's been few years now, and I will be making cross country trip soon and I need my cruise control working again (I have 5speed). I am wondering if I could just replace the electrical wire myself and see if that will fix the cruise control problem.

Challenge is, I don't know where the wire goes and comes from in order to replace it. Any ideas guys? I wish I could come up with more specific description of the wires, but truth is I don't know what each part does under he hood. So hopefully one of you guys would guess by my description of the location of wires that is chewed up. It's tucked in far right corner under the windshield going into small round hole of the car metal frame toward driver's side.

Thanks!

S.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello,
my cruise control for my maxima 95 is not working.
when i press the ON botton on the dash the green light goes on but when i try to use the bottons on the steering nothing work and i cant see the CRUISE light inside the dash, i tried to check the fuses under the hood but ther is nothig related to cruise contol, i went to see my mechanical and he told me that the module is damaged.please help me if u can.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Ridin' Spinnaz

crap i have the same problem.... the green light on the cruise control turns on but the crusie control light just blinks on and off when i try to use it... i have changed that stupid ASCD relay and nothing got fixed... WTF
Yeah, I'd try either replacing the ASCD relay or overriding it (you can use the vqpower guide here -- http://www.vqpower.com/v2/readarticle.php?article_id=28 ) ... please note that for some years, the location of the ASCD relay is different...on my 97 it was found in the box near my battery.

If you've tried everything else, you might as well change the steering wheel controls that activate your cruise control...you can probably find some in the classifieds for about $10...
Old 12-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Blown

I am still having this problem. I have now switched over parts from my 98 which had functioning cruise control to my 95 which has this problem. I have put the round black thing (sorry for the technical term) on the fire wall. I replaced the hose going from that thing to the pump in the rear left corner of the engine bay, and I have also replaced the pump. So what gives? When I hit the cruise activate button the the bezel it lights up green. Then when I hit the set cruise button nothing happen. But if I hold down the set cruise button on the steering wheel then press the activate button on the bezel I get a blinking "cruise light" in the lower left hand corner from inside the cluster. I can release the set cruise button and it still just blinks. While the "cruise" light is blinking I can press the set cruise or cancel button and and it will not do anything other than interupt the pattern of the blinking. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I finally have some time to work on it. The pics posted above from the FSM are dead. Does anyone have the link to where I can download that part of the FSM, since I don't own a paper copy. Any ideas are appreciated.