4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car won't start...suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Custom User Title...

car won't start...suggestions?

my car won't start as of tonight...i got in and click. i have full power interior and lights even plugged in a spot light to look under the hood and juice was fine, tried jumping the battery, but battery is fine. last week i regreased my starter because it sticks in the winter...has been fine, this morning though i noticed it stuck for a second like it use to in cold days and now tonight, nothing. i'm thinking that could be it...tried tapping the starter and even checked to see if the wires/ground/nuts were on tight, they were.

i plan on taking it all out tomorrow morning and opening it back up and then reinstalling and hoping that does anything. otherwise, i was either going to buy a replacement from a junkyard or car parts place, or have it towed to a place, which i don't want to do because that's more money and i'm not at my home.

is there any specific things i can do to check if it's the starter or anything else? i know this is semi-noob question, but i've never had my car not start for me. pretty disappointing, last night someone tried stealing my wheels and today this. hopefully it works out without costing me too much because i'm waiting to start a new job and broke! thanks for the help
Old 10-23-2005, 08:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

Take the starter to AutoZone and they can chek it out for you ...
Old 10-24-2005, 05:43 AM

I had the exact same problem about 2 weeks ago. Coincidently, it was also time for me to get my oil changed. I had my local mechanic look into the problem, and he confirmed to me that I needed a new starter.

I posted a question about starters about 2 days ago, and other members suggested I purchase a replacement from the dealership (but don't have them install it unless you want to overpay), or you can also get one from autozone, which carries a lifetime warranty. Getting a used, refurbished, or non-OEM will have a better chance of breaking again, which is a hassle you don't want to deal with.

I haven't purchased my replacement starter yet, but I probably will this week. I only had the problem once and my mechanic told me it's nothing needed to fix immediately. If yours is a consistent problem, then just get it fixed at your convenience.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

which is a hassle you don't want to deal with
I'd rather have a lifetime warranty and fix it every 3 years than have to pay a **** load of ca$h every 4/5 years ... One time fee = lifetime warranty
Old 10-24-2005, 07:31 AM

exactly... go to AutoZone and get one with the lifetime warranty. It will run you about $150 - $200.

I don't know about any manufacturer's warranties at the dealership, unless you pay them to install it as well. Don't have it installed at the dealer, they will rip you off.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:35 AM
Custom User Title...

the cheapest i've found today is $152 locally...all the rest were wayyy more. a junkyard quoted me at $50 but wasn't sure yet on the mileage. i'll have to call them back and ask if they have any warranty or not. not sure if it's a good idea to go with used though because it could go again and i'd be out that much more money.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:38 AM

It's known as Caveat Emptor ... I highly doubt that the junkyard will guarantee a starter. You pay your money, you take your chances! Go the Autozone route. Do NOT chintz out on a starter.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:45 AM
Custom User Title...

the car started!!!!?! i tried wiggling the key and nothing, tried moving the shift **** thinking mayne neutral safety switch and eventually it started. not sure if it's that or not, but then when it did start my starter wrrrrrred. glad it's atleast starting for now but a little nervous that it will happen again.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:46 AM

With your starter making that noise, it is likely on its way out!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:57 AM
dot dot dot ...

your starter and it might work .. but you will need one very soon ...
Old 10-24-2005, 07:59 AM

My starter also makes that (wrrrr) a few times a week. It's just telling you that it needs to replaced eventually. The teeth are probably worn out and will need to be replaced. The sound will continue until you fix the problem.

One thing I've been doing (not that I think it helps, but it has for me), is to turn the key and let the oil pressure build up for a few seconds, then crank the ignition and it should be alright. You might still hear that annoying sound again, but it's not harmful to your engine.

If your car doesn't start, just give it about 10 seconds and try to crank it again. It should turn over.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:02 AM
dot dot dot ...

: Belive me I've been through 2 starters and when they're dead like that, they need some persuasion from a blunt object ..
Old 10-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Custom User Title...

it's weird my starter doesn't always make the noise, but does often. since i'm sure it's the original one and i don't want to risk not having it start on me anytime soon, i'm picking one up from a junkyard from a 99 max with 61k on it. it was tested and works so i'm picking it up for $50 wednesday. i think there's a 90 day warranty so if i hear any funny sounds from it i'll bring it right back, but i think i'll be good with that one for a while. (knocks on wood) i've heard mixed reviews about remanufactured ones and can't afford to buy new for now so $50 for a functioning oem one will hopefully do fine for a while.