4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2 Honda Accords V6 Vs. Nissan Maxima SE

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2000, 09:39 AM

Okay boys got one more challenge I want to share with everyone. I have two friends with Honda Accords. One Accord is a sedan, fully loaded with V6 & auto slush box. The other a 1998 Honda Accord coupe, V6(200 hp) & auto slush box. They both have set out on the path of "ricing" up their rides. Blue painted bulbs and stickers, but no performance upgrades. I have a bone stock Maxima SE 5 speed. They both want to race against me. I assure them the Max will win but they have strong arguments why their Honda will win. First my friend with the 96 swears that the Accord is lighter albeit with a little less hp. So he feels he will win. And my other friend with the Accord coupe believes he will win because of his 200 hp Vtec motor. I think both of these guys are smokin something but I'm up for it. We're supposed to race on Saturday so we'll know the truth then. But what do you guys think. And is there anything I could do to prepare my ride for war!!??!!
Old 10-12-2000, 09:43 AM

Just concentrate on your driving

I think the cars will be close in term of perf
the drivers will determine the outcome.
just concentrate on driving.

Old 10-12-2000, 09:49 AM

That close????

I've driven the 96 Accord V6 sedan (auto) before I dont think anypart of its powerband can match the Maxima. I must admit I am a bit worried about the V6 Accord coupe. I think they do 0-60 in about 7.1
That might be trouble.
Old 10-12-2000, 10:02 AM
The missing moderator

Re: That close????

Originally posted by 2ndMAX
I've driven the 96 Accord V6 sedan (auto) before I dont think anypart of its powerband can match the Maxima. I must admit I am a bit worried about the V6 Accord coupe. I think they do 0-60 in about 7.1
That might be trouble.
96 v6s are slow... the new coupes are pretty quick. A friend of mine nearly beat me, I say nearly b/c there was traffic and she didn't get to pass me. And she even had a passanger in the car...

-Shing
Old 10-12-2000, 10:53 AM

read my post in the general discussion area

mine's an auto, don't know about the V6 accord though? take it that his is auto too!
think your 5 speed would eat it?! =) then again...hum??! not too familiar with the 5 speed since I've got an auto!

Old 10-12-2000, 11:07 AM
The missing moderator

Re: read my post in the general discussion area

Originally posted by tclee
mine's an auto, don't know about the V6 accord though? take it that his is auto too!
think your 5 speed would eat it?! =) then again...hum??! not too familiar with the 5 speed since I've got an auto!

I too have an auto.
Old 10-12-2000, 11:08 AM

Depends on the driver (of the 5 speed), but if you get a decent launch, no way you can loose to an Accord V6, Coupe or s. Those things are mid-7sec 0-60mph, and I think upper 15's in the 1/4 mile.
Old 10-12-2000, 12:25 PM

Well, the 96 Accord V6 will do 0-60 in around 9 seconds. That's roadkill for all Maximas out there.

The 98 Coupe, well, it will be close. Technically the Maxima is faster (7.1s for 5-spd), but the Accord auto can do 0-60 in 7.6s (Road and Track). Since 1/2 second is pretty close in the real world, it will be who is the better driver rather than which car is faster.

Old 10-12-2000, 12:34 PM

Well Eric L.....

I'm up to the challenge. I wouldn't consider myself an experienced driver or even a really good driver. I've only been driving stick for about 3 months. I really enjoy it. After my first day I was moving around okay. But I've figured out the mechanics behind it and if I get a good launch (minimal wheelspin) then I think I can take him. I've taken Q45's (90-95 models) without too much drama. Just before approaching the redline in first, clutch in pop that bad boy into 2nd, hop off the clutch and back on the gas. Let off a little chirp and now we're gone. Besides I think I can drive my friends Accord better than he can.

Old 10-12-2000, 12:37 PM

Good luck. Don't know about everyone else, but I get the best launch between 1600-2000 RPMs--even 2000's a bit high though. Anything above that and it's tire spin and wheel hop for me......
Old 10-12-2000, 01:07 PM
OG

It'll definetly be a close race, but all in all, I can almost guarantee that you'll beat this guy especially if you've got a 5spd and he's got an auto. Good Luck man.
Old 10-12-2000, 01:08 PM

Hey Boys!! This is What you should smoke!!

Both.. you "should" beat. Easily up to 40mph.
Careful though. Honda is way slick.
I've lost to V6 Honda's before simply because of sloppy shifting. A 96 V6 will glide away like a Merc.
It's really quite unsettling.
Easy to beat to 30... make the shift perfect and you will have a noticable lead.
Miss the shift into second and it will be close.
Don't hold back.. and the glory will be worth the cluch$ replacement.
Then Smoke... if offered.
Old 10-12-2000, 01:20 PM

I like that...

Thanks VQ Quick... I am gonna put a little wager on this one. The loser, since they'll be two (three car race), will buy the winner something to puff on while the other loser will buy something for the winner to drink. I wont go into detail as to what one smokes, or drinks but lets just remember these luxuries are not to be enjoyed while driving. It only makes me wish I could roll up an Accord in some rolling paper and just smoke the whole damn thing.

For the rice lovers out there dont take offense I actually love the Honda Accord, but I was never happy with the V6. Plus my friends talk as if Nissan Maxima is nice but...
So I must prove them wrong.
Old 10-12-2000, 01:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I beleive that the 96 Accord V6 only had >>>>

170 HP and still weighs pretty close to the Maxima, the newer Accord is still about the same weight or a little heavier more HP 200 HP, but the Maxima 5 speed has the gearing advantage and better torque band. You will win just as long you shift fast and launch well. Good Luck and let us know the outcome.
Old 10-12-2000, 02:08 PM

stats on new accord

the 2000 accord V6 coupe 0-60 is 7.6 sec.
there are other things you have to think about when you race these two accords.
1) rims and tires. I can almost guaruntee that you will lose if you dont have at least the se rims and some decent rubber on them. The new accords come stock with some nice light rims and nice rubber (don't remember what kind, sorry)

2) shifting. stock clutch in max sort of sucks especially if you have already beaten it to hell.

3) suspension. hope you at least have the se suspension because gxe and gle suspensions will not stand up to accord coupe's suspension. and I think the accord coupe weights less then the 4th gen max (not much)

I have raced 3 V6 accords at my campus in Binghamton, NY and I beat them all with some sh-tty 15's on my car and some grandma tires but I also did not gun the car in first gear, I gave all the accord a lead and then passed them in second gear (the max's best gear). But I also have a pretty sweet clutch. Now I need tires. Hope this info helps.
Old 10-13-2000, 04:14 AM

i raced a 99 Accord V6!!!

I have a friend with a 99 Accord sedan V6 with an injen intake and a Greddy dual exhaust. And the the only option with the engine ,a slush box. We raced for about 5 miles side by side. He had better reaction and took off but i was able to catch up with him at around 35 mph we were side by side up to about 5 miles. By then i was going around 120+ mph and had to slow down because of traffic. Damn it was fun. The only mod i got is a K&N drop in filter. All i have to say is good luck and keep it safe.
Old 10-14-2000, 09:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You should take both. I won't even mention the 96
As for the newer one, When I had my 95GXE 5spd, I raced one. He tried to cut me off and I honked at him, so it was on. He was a little ahead of me when he floored it. I over took him and passed him easily. He had a V6 coupe, so you should have no problems beating them both.
Old 10-24-2000, 04:24 PM

From an Accord V6 Owner 8-)

I don't really know jack about 0-60's since a G-Tech is the only way to measure them and I've hit b/w 7.5 seconds (on a cool night with temps around 70 degrees and the gas needle near empty) up to 8 seconds flat with a full tank of gas. Typically my car runs the 0-60 in about 7.7 to 7.8 when it was still stock.

1/4 miles I can help you with though. The 98+ Accord V6 EX's are slower than the LX's because they weight more. The coupe is also faster than the Sedan for the same reason. Therefore the fastest Accord V6 is the LX Coupe. When my car was still stock my quickest 1/4 mile time was a 16.21 with low to mid 80 degree temperatures. Since I added the intake, with low 60 degree temps my best time without weight removal is a 15.62 @ 87mph, after I took out my sub box, spare tire and tire jack, I ran a 15.52 @ 88mph. This was at a track BTW, not G-Tech.

If the Accord guys brake torque on their launch they should be very close off the line. If they just mash the gas peddle, they will certaintly lose.

What kinda 1/4 mile times do you guys run with auto tranny and with the 5speed. I know the 5 speed SHOULD win if driver shifts correctly because you don't lose as much HP and torque through the gearbox. An auto should lose though in my opinion do to the differences in HP. Also remember, if these guys have larger rims, and big stereos, that will slow their car down even more.

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 10-24-2000, 05:33 PM

Re: From an Accord V6 Owner 8-)

Originally posted by BNut
I don't really know jack about 0-60's since a G-Tech is the only way to measure them and I've hit b/w 7.5 seconds (on a cool night with temps around 70 degrees and the gas needle near empty) up to 8 seconds flat with a full tank of gas. Typically my car runs the 0-60 in about 7.7 to 7.8 when it was still stock.

1/4 miles I can help you with though. The 98+ Accord V6 EX's are slower than the LX's because they weight more. The coupe is also faster than the Sedan for the same reason. Therefore the fastest Accord V6 is the LX Coupe. When my car was still stock my quickest 1/4 mile time was a 16.21 with low to mid 80 degree temperatures. Since I added the intake, with low 60 degree temps my best time without weight removal is a 15.62 @ 87mph, after I took out my sub box, spare tire and tire jack, I ran a 15.52 @ 88mph. This was at a track BTW, not G-Tech.

If the Accord guys brake torque on their launch they should be very close off the line. If they just mash the gas peddle, they will certaintly lose.

What kinda 1/4 mile times do you guys run with auto tranny and with the 5speed. I know the 5 speed SHOULD win if driver shifts correctly because you don't lose as much HP and torque through the gearbox. An auto should lose though in my opinion do to the differences in HP. Also remember, if these guys have larger rims, and big stereos, that will slow their car down even more.

Let us know how it turns out.
Hey Bnut how's it going ? I as for the ET's I would suspect around 15.5s with intake and Y pipe. But the maxima will have a quicker 1/8 mile time due to the better midrange torque. However I believe the accord should start running it down and pass it around 1000ft mark. Based on your results on the dyno and strip you could beat some auto maximas. Now if the maxima was a 95-97 with I/Y/E, ECU, VB mod, it would be good for low 15's all day long.
Old 10-24-2000, 11:34 PM

My friend has a honda 98 2 door coupe

We race all the time and usualy he comes close but I beat him in the long run in first he is close but that is because i hate first gear and play it safe now in second and third and then on I just keep puling away slowly and then I have to wait for him to cach up well its not faire that his fuel shut of is at 130mph or so but I went 140mph before in my max
Old 10-24-2000, 11:54 PM

you might win

i already raced a v6 accord at the local dragraces
it was a 99 accord coupe auto with and intake and two greddy exaust mufflers. well that was all i could see and hear.

with my mods and my stock tires i smoked him in first gear and he never caught up.we ran 2 more times and the same results. my launch was so hard and full he could not take me off the line. Then a stock 3.2 TL stepped up, same thing.
the tl ran better and kept up the entire 1/4 mile or so but could not pass me at all.

me advice is to put the stock wheels back on for less weight and more spin power. and with your 5speed, if your a good driver should be more than they can handle

my mods only include cai, Y pipe, rt catt and a greddycattback system.

Old 10-25-2000, 12:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Since your stock, I'd say slip the clutch at 2700 rpm, and speed shift until you've proven your point. If you think its gonna be close, then don't hold back!! I've seen my times drop significantly by slipping the clutch as opposed to dropping it. As far as speed shifting, basically you shift as fast as possible and never take your foot off the gas. Thats right, you keep the gas pedal on the floor, press the clutch fast and let it out fast, basically popping it, and simultaneously shift into the next gear. Don't worry about going into the red, thats what the rev limiter is there for! Then again, I'm the same person that blew a tranny in two weeks after I installed my Stage III clutch, but I also ran a 15.3 stock.
Old 10-25-2000, 05:23 AM
is invisible

These ~200hp Japanese v6s are much too close...

for anything to be guaranteed.

1994 Honda Accord EX 9.30 17.10
1994 Honda Accord EX Coupe 9.20 16.90
1995 Honda Accord LX 8.50 16.50
>1995 Honda Accord LX V-6 9.10 17.10
>1996 Honda Accord EX V-6 8.80 16.80
1998 Honda Accord LX 7.80 16.10
>1999 Honda Accord Coupe LX V-6 7.40 15.80

But I'll side with the Max for the win.
Old 10-25-2000, 07:28 AM

Okay boys got one more challenge I want to share with everyone. I have two friends with Honda Accords. One Accord is a sedan, fully loaded with V6 & auto slush box. The other a 1998 Honda Accord coupe, V6(200 hp) & auto slush box. They both have set out on the path of "ricing" up their rides. Blue painted bulbs and stickers, but no performance upgrades. I have a bone stock Maxima SE 5 speed. They both want to race against me. I assure them the Max will win but they have strong arguments why their Honda will win. First my friend with the 96 swears that the Accord is lighter albeit with a little less hp. So he feels he will win. And my other friend with the Accord coupe believes he will win because of his 200 hp Vtec motor. I think both of these guys are smokin something but I'm up for it. We're supposed to race on Saturday so we'll know the truth then. But what do you guys think. And is there anything I could do to prepare my ride for war!!??!!
----------------------------------------------------------
There are some simple things you can do to help your speed that don't cost anything:

Reduce weight. Remove the spare tire, jack, CDs, anything else that is lying loose in your car. You could also take out the rear seat, but that doesn't weigh too much, and it would be obvious. Make sure you have less than 1/4 tank of gas in the tank. Weight reduction could help you pick up a tenth or so...

Make sure your engine is as cool as possible. Before you race, put an ice filled ziplock storage bag on your intake manifold to cool it down. Don't forget to take the ice bag off before you GO. Remove your A/C fuse. Then, run your A/C on HOT to dump heat out of your radiator. (The A/C won't run, but the radiator fans will.) You could also spray your radiator with ice water out of a pump spray bottle.

Reduce air pressure in your front tires to about 24-lbs. It will make them grip better. Increase pressure in your rear tires to about 40-lbs. It will make them roll easier.

Close all your windows & sunroof.

There's other stuff too, like taking off your alt belt and removing your air filter. No cost, but how extreme do you want to get?

Before you GO, spin your wheels just enough to knock the pebbles and s**t off. A burn-out really doesn't make street tires stick better. It might even make them slip more. Take off at 1500-2000 RPMs. Up-shift at 6000 RPMs in each gear. Shift fast with a quick lift-throttle shift. (Your clutch might slip on a power shift.) Drive your car like you hate it, and DON'T MISS A SHIFT!.

Give the ricers dust masks. They're going to need them...
Old 10-25-2000, 12:42 PM

Re: Re: From an Accord V6 Owner 8-)

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Hey Bnut how's it going ? I as for the ET's I would suspect around 15.5s with intake and Y pipe. But the maxima will have a quicker 1/8 mile time due to the better midrange torque. However I believe the accord should start running it down and pass it around 1000ft mark. Based on your results on the dyno and strip you could beat some auto maximas. Now if the maxima was a 95-97 with I/Y/E, ECU, VB mod, it would be good for low 15's all day long.
Nismo!!!

Hey man, I figured I would find you on a Maxima board. The 4th Gen Maximas are rated for 190hp at the flywheel and the 5th Gen are 222hp?

A race b/w an auto 190ho 4th Gen Max and a 200hp 6th Gen V6 Accord would be pretty close. The Accords weigh b/w 3,200 to 3,300 depending on the trim level. How much do the 4th Gen Maximas weigh?

Also you guys get more torque than we do since you have a DOHC engine we have a SOHC. The 6th Gen V6 Accords are 195ft/lbs.

Old 10-25-2000, 01:13 PM

Drag Race Sim

According to the racing sim CARTEST 4.5 - http://home.earthlink.net/~patglenn/ct.html , the maxima would win. I used a 1995 SE 5-spd, 1998 Honda Accord EX V-6 coupe, and a 1995 Honda Accord LX V-6. I think those were the same cars you were talking about. The cars tested as follows:

_______________100 ft______500 ft_____1/4 mile
Honda Coupe_____3.5_________8.9_____16.2@87.4mph
Honda Sedan_____3.5_________9.1_____16.7@84.9mph
Maxima__________3.2_________8.4_____15.5@89.8mph

It also says the optimal launch for your max would be 1800 rpm with clutch dump. For the honda coupe, optimal launch would be 1800 rpm with brake stand and 4800 rpm with brake stand for the sedan.

This is a very nice program and I recommend you download it.

Kevin
Old 10-25-2000, 02:15 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

you'll win.

toast their butts.

concentrate on revining to like 1700 rpm, and dropping the clutch without too much tire spin, then if you get grip, shift at redline in first, almost redline in second, and like 5600 in 3rd. by then, you'll be gone.

Old 10-25-2000, 02:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: From an Accord V6 Owner 8-)

Originally posted by BNut
Nismo!!!

Hey man, I figured I would find you on a Maxima board. The 4th Gen Maximas are rated for 190hp at the flywheel and the 5th Gen are 222hp?

A race b/w an auto 190ho 4th Gen Max and a 200hp 6th Gen V6 Accord would be pretty close. The Accords weigh b/w 3,200 to 3,300 depending on the trim level. How much do the 4th Gen Maximas weigh?

Also you guys get more torque than we do since you have a DOHC engine we have a SOHC. The 6th Gen V6 Accords are 195ft/lbs. [/I]
Actually its that Nissan tuned the 4th gen engines for more 2000-6000 power than 4000-6500 power like the accords. Believe it or not my SOHC engine put down 153lb-ft with CAI as only mod. Its not far off what you did stock. Generally depending on options and if the max is a GXE or SE the curb weight could be from 3050lbs to 3200lbs. I believe the quickest maxima's are the base model GXE's because of the weight advantage. However based on other dynos I seen on the SHO site we would be lucky to hit 180hp with an auto with just I/H/E, ECU. Believe it or not the accord has more torque pasted 5400rpm than the maxima does. Who knows maybe one day we can meet at the strip for friendly runs.
Old 10-25-2000, 03:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: From an Accord V6 Owner 8-)

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Actually its that Nissan tuned the 4th gen engines for more 2000-6000 power than 4000-6500 power like the accords. Believe it or not my SOHC engine put down 153lb-ft with CAI as only mod. Its not far off what you did stock. Generally depending on options and if the max is a GXE or SE the curb weight could be from 3050lbs to 3200lbs. I believe the quickest maxima's are the base model GXE's because of the weight advantage. However based on other dynos I seen on the SHO site we would be lucky to hit 180hp with an auto with just I/H/E, ECU. Believe it or not the accord has more torque pasted 5400rpm than the maxima does. Who knows maybe one day we can meet at the strip for friendly runs.
The next time I go to the track in Baytown I'll be sure to let you know ahead of time so we can try to meet up there for some runs! Now that I have the pulleys I'm hoping I can get some better launches! Also I'm interested to see if all my ghetto creations will help any at the track.

Old 11-21-2000, 04:52 PM
malekhaddad

i got a 95 maxima se 5sp. Nothing to worry about. You'll smoke both honda's. My friend has a 99 accord v6, and he's always in the rear view mirror. The only bone stock honda that could smoke you is the s2000. And if you think the prelude could, your wrong. My friend has a 99 prelude 5sp. He's close, but no cigar. He still gets smoked, but pretty good for a four-banger

Old 11-21-2000, 06:59 PM

so a race between 4th gen. auto maxima vs. 2000 accord coupe v6 is pretty much a toss-up?
Old 11-21-2000, 11:19 PM

well my friend has a 98 V6 honda accord coupe

We race all the time usually unless I mess up the shifts I whip him but on the beltway or highway its a little harder because he does have 200hp and I only have 190 but the honda problem is it seems to have a top speed limiter because as soon as we hit around 130mph he starts disapearing really fast in my rear view mirror but any way if you shift right and at the top than you will smoke him if not than he might beat you by a half a car lenght it depends what the agreement will be