4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is it the Guage Cluster or the ECU which holds odometer reading?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 08:37 PM
no more maxima...

Is it the Guage Cluster or the ECU which holds odometer reading?

Does anyone know if it is the ECU or the guage cluster that holds the mileage/odo reading in memory?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2005, 08:40 PM

If it's digital, the cluster holds the memory.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX
I second that!
BTW, anyone know how to reset it?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by jackwu
I second that!
BTW, anyone know how to reset it?
1.)Remove cluster
2.)place under rear driverside wheel
3.)Reverse over cluster
4.)Drive over cluster

(Repeat if necessary)

or take it to the dealer.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:49 PM
no more maxima...

Ah OK....so I guess I do not have to worry when I swap my ECU my mileage reading will be different, correct?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Wild for Width

Not sure on this but I think there is more than one place the milage is stored. Not sure if it is ECU or not but BUMP before you run into any problems.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mileage is stored in the cluster. I have had three different ecus on mine with no effect on mileage.

I also hooked up battery power to my old cluster which has been sitting on the bench for about 6 months now and the correct mileage still comes up. So obviously it is stored in non-volatile memory.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by kingrukus
Ah OK....so I guess I do not have to worry when I swap my ECU my mileage reading will be different, correct?
ECU's don't store mileage memory. All digital mileage clusters are stored in the cluster itself. There's a little micro-chip on the cluster which retains the memory. It can be adjusted at the dealership for a nominal fee and a valid reason. So, swithing different ECU's will not affect current mileage whatsoever.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:44 AM

It can be adjusted at the dealership for a nominal fee and a valid reason.
Are you sure about this? Have you had this done personally? (not just heard about someone supposedly having it done.)

I have an 03 cluster in my 98 and have been to three dealerships trying to get them to INCREASE the mileage and they all say they cannot do it.

When they have to replace a gauge cluster in a customer's car, they have to specify the mileage they want on it when they order it from the depot.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by eng92
Are you sure about this? Have you had this done personally? (not just heard about someone supposedly having it done.)

I have an 03 cluster in my 98 and have been to three dealerships trying to get them to INCREASE the mileage and they all say they cannot do it.

When they have to replace a gauge cluster in a customer's car, they have to specify the mileage they want on it when they order it from the depot.
Most dealerships won't do it unless you have a VALID reason. Adjusting/tampering with mileage is fraud and illegal, that's why they don't do it. When I said valid reason, I mean if the original cluster itself was proven to be faulty, then showing valid proof of this, the new cluster CAN or MAYBE be adjusted by the dealer. That's why if you buy a digital odometer cluster, it's best to buy one within the same mileage as your car to avoid any problems. And, yeah, it's already been proven that the digital clusters (the Max's, anyway) hold the memory in the cluster. The 5th gener forums have plenty of members who have discovered this within their clusters (such as myself).
Old 11-03-2005, 06:23 AM

Most dealerships won't do it unless you have a VALID reason. Adjusting/tampering with mileage is fraud and illegal, that's why they don't do it. When I said valid reason, I mean if the original cluster itself was proven to be faulty, then showing valid proof of this, the new cluster CAN or MAYBE be adjusted by the dealer. That's why if you buy a digital odometer cluster, it's best to buy one within the same mileage as your car to avoid any problems. And, yeah, it's already been proven that the digital clusters (the Max's, anyway) hold the memory in the cluster. The 5th gener forums have plenty of members who have discovered this within their clusters (such as myself).
So what you are really saying is that you do not know if the dealer can alter the mileage.

No dealer stocks gauge clusters. If a cluster is faulty, they do not fix it, it is replaced. They are brought in with the correct mileage already on them. Therefore there would never be a reason for the dealer to even know how or even be able to adjust mileage.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:04 AM
SomePsychoGuy

If you are trying to increase the mileage then you can hook it up electronically as if you were going 140+ and let the odometer just catch up. I can't find the thread of the guy who did this.

You can also do it manually on jackstands. This would be very annoying and suspicious to neighbors.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:24 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by SPiG
If you are trying to increase the mileage then you can hook it up electronically as if you were going 140+ and let the odometer just catch up. I can't find the thread of the guy who did this.

You can also do it manually on jackstands. This would be very annoying and suspicious to neighbors.
And it would burn way too much gas.

Here you go - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/500673/4

EDIT: Here's the thread on the org - http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....tion+generator
Old 11-03-2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by SPiG

You could easily use a function generator to accomplish this. The only problem with that is the amount of time required. My cluster indicates about 5000 km ( ~3100 miles) and it should read around 160,000 km (99.4 k miles).

That would take almost 29 days running 24/7 at 140 mph. Sounds like a winter electrical project while the car is in storage.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:21 PM
SomePsychoGuy

Yeah that is the thread I was looking for. Yeah if the gauge is that far off then it will take a good while.

The manual way would only work if it was only slightly off and even then I am not sure if it would be worth the trouble for a few thousand miles.