4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Thoes w/ UDP

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 08:51 AM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
the pulley will always be a small mod. alone it does basicly nothing.
just like an intake, or an exhuast... all alone they do little or nothing.
but start adding things together and then the fun begins. theres a lot of systems in a car that must work together to make a car fast.

u cant go out and buy one nice new running shoe and expect to be able to run the mile faster.

intake=small or no gain
exhaust=no gain
y-pipe=small gain
intake+exhaust=decent gain
intake+exhaust+y-pipe=decent to mid gain

pulley=no gain
flywheel=little gain
flywheel+pulley=decent to mid gain
flywheel+pulley+light wheels=good stuff

intake+exhaust+y-pipe+flywheel+pulley-bbk-broke vais+timing advance+gripy rubber=me

just what ive noticed from my max modding, every car is different. and autos just dont see the gains a manual will
Do some research before you post out of your a$$.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:30 AM

from all the dyno graphs ive seen, thats what i concluded. most of the mods above did less than 5hp alone at the wheels, i concider that no gain. closer to 10 id call decent, and anything above that about mid gain.

our cars just dont gain easy power like some other cars out there.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:38 AM

id call that approximation, but ricer math is a good term for it
Old 11-17-2005, 09:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
id call that approximation, but ricer math is a good term for it
I didn't call it ricer math because it was an approximation. I called it ricer math because it just doesn't work like that. Mods either do something, or they don't. That "greater than the sum of their parts" BS is a myth. Nothing + nothing + nothing = nothing. According to you X + 0 + 0 = Y. That's completely false. It's called ricer math cus it doesn't add up in the real world.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:01 AM

but for instance an intake or exhaust alone do very little, but together they work together(hold hands everyone) and can create more power.

im not talking huge gains im talking gains in the area of 1-5hp gains from the "working together" of perticular mods

same thing with a flywheel and udp, i know theyre freeing up power not making it. together they can rid alot of rotational mass,

side note. ive noticed its slightly harder to launch with both. ive only lost about 10lbs of rotainal mass, but it feels like a lot.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:55 PM

This is my experience with a UDP. I'm a crappy launcher at the track.

Before a lightweight UDP: I went to the track and my time would vary by .5 seconds.

After lightweight UDP: Stablized times to be within .2 seconds. For me this helped in my launches (because I suck so much) and is what I attribute my more consistent times. I also noticed the engine revs much quicker or more easily, which has led to me being able to accelerate in 1st gear below 2500 rpms or downshifting to accelerate, with no feeling of being sluggish.

Because of all the controversy about the UDPs I recently installed my oem UDP to see if I felt a difference: I have noticed that at low rpms in first gear the car feels more sluggish when trying to accelerate quickly. Or when downshifting to gain speed it has felt a little more sluggish at first. And I also went back to the track and I again had the same problem with the varying times.

I hope all of this makes sense. In conclusion, I think the UDP is worth it. In my case it has helped. By no means do I feel it gives a HP increase, but I do feel that it allows for a better acceleration, or I guess I should say a much improved response from the engine.

If you’re trying to improve your PB time at the track I don’t think this will do it for you. If you know how to launch well, this will not make a difference. A big factor in racing is your momentum and flow. The UDP will not increase momentum and flow any better than the oem UDP. However, from what I’ve experienced, it will help in applications where a quick acceleration is needed because the engine will have less work to do in the initial accelerated pick-up of the lightweight UDP.

Again like I said I hope this makes sense. and soon I will be switching back to my lighter UDP.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by hacim105
I hope all of this makes sense. In conclusion, I think the UDP is worth it. In my case it has helped. By no means do I feel it gives a HP increase, but I do feel that it allows for a better acceleration, or I guess I should say a much improved response from the engine.
Improved response means nothing. If it doesn't make the car get down the track any quicker no care. Bottom line...
Old 11-17-2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
Improved response means nothing. If it doesn't make the car get down the track any quicker no care. Bottom line...
And many people agree with you.

I would say this mod is a better mod for everyday driving rather than the track.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:47 PM
JoeB

I installed one tonight. I bought it about 6 months ago and wasn't in a hurry to put it on because of all the bad press they seem to get on this site. I like it the car definitly has more pep. I don't think it does too much at high RPM's. But the car picks up better at stop lights and in slow traffic when your not flooring it. This should translate into better gas milage so I'll check it for the next couple of weeks and post back

Old 11-17-2005, 07:55 PM

are you automatic?