4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

remote start with manual tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005 | 06:13 PM

remote start with manual tranny?

Well winter time is here in the northeast, curious if I could install a remote starter on a manual transmission. I know they have remote starters for automatics, but do they have them for manual transmissions that have some type of relay so you wouldn't have to push the clutch in to start it? Let me know if anyone has done this, where I can get one, and how hard it is to install. Thanks
Old 11-15-2005 | 06:16 PM
No more Maximas...

Generally they won't sell them with a clutch switch bypass, but you can wire the clutch switch permanently closed (won't have to push it in to start up the car), just don't leave it in gear. Some have wired it up so it won't start if the car isn't in neutral.
Old 11-16-2005 | 10:12 AM
Shift_3.0

They do have remote starts for mannys but no reputable shop will do it for you, believe me I checked. Like the previous poster stated, the problem is that people leave the car in gear and it rolls when you start it remotely. I talked to a few people who had it done on their cars and there is a crazy locking system where you have to perform a sequence of events to engage the remote start before you leave the car. They say it gets annoying because it disengages by accidentally tapping the brake and things like that. I live in NJ where the winters are blistering so I have been tempted to install it in my previous car anyways. That car is totalled so it looks like I am going to have the same dilemma on my hands when I buy a new one.... 5spd Max, hopefully!
Old 11-16-2005 | 10:31 AM
blah

The do have remote starters for manual transmissions, but they are not necessary. Most of the remote starters are setup to make you go through a process to enable the remote start function (leave car running, close the door, push a button on the remote). However, the maxima is equipped with a neutral position switch which is wired to the ECU. You can use this as a disabler for the remote start system and prevent your car from hoping forward. I have short circuited the clutch relay switch so I don't even have to push my clutch in start manually start my car anymore.
Old 11-16-2005 | 11:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

good thread

This is a good thread for me i was thinking about getting remote start on my 97 5spd. i hadnt really looked into that much thou.
Old 11-16-2005 | 12:46 PM

PM Don...he's in NJ also
Old 11-16-2005 | 12:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I went Batxel's route. My alarm makes me do something to ensure it's outta gear. The routine isn't anything different than what you already do (no buttons to press, it just works). On top of that, I wired up the neutral position switch as 2nd line defense.

I learned a lot browsing the forums at www.the12volt.com. Watch out tho, buncha newbies rushin in there too.

And definitely check out Don Pearl96 in the ICE forum.

Jae
Old 11-16-2005 | 12:59 PM

oh and if you look around, there's a 5th or 6th gen writeup to give u an idea what's involved.

Jae
Old 11-16-2005 | 01:00 PM

I used to work at a shop, one of our customers had remote start on a manual, and the technician didn't know it, he pulled it up on the alignment rack and left it in gear. After lifting it over his head he set off the alarm, grabbed the remote and pressed what he thought would turn off the alarm, instead he hit the start button. The car lunged forward off the rack and fell 6 feet into the brand new alignment machine, destroying it not to mention the front of the truck. By the way it was an older truck that didn't have a clutch switch.
Old 11-16-2005 | 06:22 PM

I know someone that found there car in a ditch because of he forgot his car in gear and his keys were in his pocket and it started the car.
Old 11-16-2005 | 06:29 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

you definetly can get a remote start for a manual but you would have to bypass the clutch switch which isn't hard at all but unless you have some sort of secondary lockout system it's a very risky proposition for the reasons everyone has mentioned. could you imagine having your car parked in a parking lot, coming out of the store and hitting the start button only to realize you left the car in gear and it just lunged forward into the car parked across from you. You'd feel pretty stupid at that point, i thought about doing myself when i had my 2k2 because no shops would do it but i decided it wasn't worth the risk.

-steve
Old 11-16-2005 | 07:37 PM

Those people w/o safety's, they knew what they were getting into, and they took the risk. However they should be responsible for any damages or if anybody gets hurt. That's just stupid.

You don't need to completely bypass the clutch. A good remote start system will ground the clutch switch only while starting.

Jae
Old 11-16-2005 | 07:42 PM

My bro's old manual Maxima had a remote start. Car wouldn't start when it was in gear when trying to start with the remote. It would only work when car was in neutral and hand break up I believe. Take it to a good shop and they can do it for you. By the way another member on this board bought his car, he can give his input too...
Old 11-16-2005 | 07:46 PM

Goto DEI's website and download a PDF manual. It explains what wires need to be tapped, and the procedure to remote-start a manual safely
Jae
Old 11-17-2005 | 03:48 AM
KH3 by popular demand

As a rule of thumb I always glance at the car while remote starting to ensure no problems. If you are the only one that drives the car and know yourself that you never leave it in gear then you are good. Mine has the sequnece deal on it to where it won't remote start unless you exit the car with it in nuetral. You can find reomte engine starters for manuals on eBay. Two main brands i know that do manual remote starts with safety features are Compustar and Magicar.
Old 11-17-2005 | 06:30 AM

There is no reason to install the remote starter incorrectly. Bypassing the clutch switch is very stupid! It is there for a reason.

I know in the 3rd gen there is a wire going to the ECU telling it when the car is in neutral. Using this wire and a couple of relays and the wire that disables the remote starter when the hood is open you can wire it safely that it will only start if the car is in neutral and wont start if it is in gear. I am pretty sure that the 4th gen has the same thing. You can check Craig B's webpage (3rd gen forum) for instructions on how to wire it properly.
Old 11-17-2005 | 07:02 AM

im still deciding on whether to get one or not, i dont let poeple drive my cars often, but my parents do the whole "in gear" thing, it only takes one time to totally fudge things up. not sure if its worth the risk
Old 11-17-2005 | 07:18 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
im still deciding on whether to get one or not, i dont let poeple drive my cars often, but my parents do the whole "in gear" thing, it only takes one time to totally fudge things up. not sure if its worth the risk
If other people drive the car you HAVE to get the one for manual transmission. They sell some on eBay, get one of those else or you have to make a safe circuit for it.
Old 11-17-2005 | 07:41 AM

i can get the nice viper with the screen and everything brand new installed by someone mecp for $280, i just think i could handle the weather and spend the moeny on other mods
Old 11-17-2005 | 07:59 AM

make sure the person who installing is taking his time and not playing around while installing because the guy who did mines first wire it up wrong, so then he fix it and park the car across the street and call me out. to show me how it work, like dummy he left the car in gear (what a dumass) and started it and my car started up with went flying down the block. i was so shock i just watch my car do donuts in middle of Jamaica Ave @ rush hour lucky my car didn't hit anything just was spinning in circle
Old 11-17-2005 | 08:13 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by diiesel21
make sure the person who installing is taking his time and not playing around while installing because the guy who did mines first wire it up wrong, so then he fix it and park the car across the street and call me out. to show me how it work, like dummy he left the car in gear (what a dumass) and started it and my car started up with went flying down the block. i was so shock i just watch my car do donuts in middle of Jamaica Ave @ rush hour lucky my car didn't hit anything just was spinning in circle
Maaaan!! Glad no one or the car got hurt.
Old 11-17-2005 | 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
For most alarms made for standard tranny, that's fine. They can leave it in gear, and the car won't remote start. Add in a neutral position sensor and you're good to go.

Oh yeah, most good alarms will cancel the "reserved" mode if the doors are opened before remotely started. So say you've set reservation, and lil nephew hasta get something from your car, and plays w/the shifter. Everything's all good cuz reservation's canceled, can't remote start the car.

Jae
Old 11-17-2005 | 02:34 PM

all these posts on the car going down the road, I dont see that happening at all, actually if you tried to start the car in gear, it would most likely stall out due to low rpms and jumping into gear right away, and for someone not having the e-brake up when the car is parked is just another stupid response. I am glad I know now that it can be done, for all the stupid repsonses thanks for letting me know what NOT to do if they have any truth to them at all....
Old 11-17-2005 | 08:15 PM

SRJesse: actually, for the hell of it, I tried. I got into my car, set it to reservation mode with the ebrake all the way up (FSM says 8 clicks). I set it to 1st gear, and remotely started the car (while I was in it). Yup, it cranked away and dragged the rear tires.

Jae
Old 11-18-2005 | 04:06 AM

well once again thanks for letting me know what NOT to do, crazy $hit man...
Old 11-22-2005 | 10:10 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Doing remote start in a manual tranny Maxima is not an unsafe thing to do at all. Ive done several dozen with no problems what so ever. If done right, the car will not start in gear.
Old 11-23-2005 | 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Doing remote start in a manual tranny Maxima is not an unsafe thing to do at all. Ive done several dozen with no problems what so ever. If done right, the car will not start in gear.
Yup...Don did it on my manual max. And in this COLD A$$$$$ NY weather its great!!!!