4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MT venting fluid out of vent tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 07:31 AM
Autobahn Max

MT venting fluid out of vent tube

My manual transaxle on my 97 has begun venting transmission fluid from the vent tube. Any ideas on this?

Old 11-20-2005, 07:34 AM

are you serious, it went all the way up a foot and a half long hose and is dripping out!?!? wow, u sure your fluid level is not overfull or somthing that just seems wierd to me. If you dont know then i would deff take the fill plug out and see if anything comes out if not then theres obviously somthing else making pressure enough to make it go up that tube and out.

-Ryan
Old 11-20-2005, 07:42 AM
Maintenance Monster

What vent tube? I don't remember there being one on my tranny. There is a filler plug, a drain plug, and that's about it.

Dave
Old 11-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Autobahn Max

Yes, it travelled all the way up the long tube and spewed fluid all over my engine compartment. I actually smelled the oil burning when it hit the exhaust (prompting me to look under the hood). Here's a little bit more to the story:

1. I am in the Air Force stationed in Germany. I had just got off the autobahn doing about 110mph for over thirty minutes. I have done this before (at even higher speeds) without any issues.

2. I just had the clutch replaced in the car. The shop may have overfilled the transaxle. Later this week I will talk to the shop, the more than likely drain and replace the fluid myself.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

I think maybe it is time for a new car...

Old 11-20-2005, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
What vent tube? I don't remember there being one on my tranny. There is a filler plug, a drain plug, and that's about it.

Dave
theres also a little 90* nipple with a turbe on it, thats the vent tube. The line goes up and zigzags around and eventually goes up next to the front valve cover then crosses over a few things and just stops there working as a "vent".
Old 11-20-2005, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Autobahn Max
Yes, it travelled all the way up the long tube and spewed fluid all over my engine compartment. I actually smelled the oil burning when it hit the exhaust (prompting me to look under the hood). Here's a little bit more to the story:

1. I am in the Air Force stationed in Germany. I had just got off the autobahn doing about 110mph for over thirty minutes. I have done this before (at even higher speeds) without any issues.

2. I just had the clutch replaced in the car. The shop may have overfilled the transaxle. Later this week I will talk to the shop, the more than likely drain and replace the fluid myself.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

I think maybe it is time for a new car...
Ok speed wouldnt do anything to it so your good there. Sense a shop just did your clutch then deffinantly just remove the fill plug with a 1/2" ratchet and let whatever fluid may be over drain out. After that you should be fine if it hasent done this before. I really hope you half knew the reputation of the mechanics shop, i actually have seen a post once where somone tried to fill the tranny through that vent tube HAHAHAHA. Should be like a 5 min process if theres fluid needed to drain its real simple, *********EDIT*********Just take FILL plug out, let drain, then FILL plug back in and your all set. No need to drain the fluid out and do it over
Old 11-20-2005, 07:54 AM
Autobahn Max

Yes, shop has a good reputation. I am going to drain and refill with synthetic just for my peace of mind.