4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I have no power. Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 10:25 AM
I Broke OT

I have no power. Need Help!!

So my car has been sitting at home while I have been at college. I got home Thanksgiving and the battery was dead, so I got a new one. (It was time anyway). So now I'm home again for break and I start up the car one night and just a few cranks and it's going. No problem. (The only thing wrong is the taillights were out. I couldn't find my extra fuses, so I think I pulled a 10 out of the A/C plug and replace the dead 7.5 with it for temporary use. I go out and do shopping etc, just to make sure the battery is charged up and what not.

Then, the next morning I have to work and the car won't even start. I open the driver's door and the courtesy lights go on for about a second and then everything just kinda dies. I turn the key and it won't even turn over. Nothin happens. Since the taillight fuse was blown, I check the rest in the panel by the driver's knee and find only one other that was blown. I replace it and still nothing. What is goin on here? The battery is brand new and it wouldn't turn over when I tried jumping it. I'm totally lost and about to call AAA to get it towed somewhere. Any ideas?

Thanks

Cliffs:
(It had been d@mn cold recently. Car won't start.)
(Fuses seem to be blowing. Replaced all busted ones.)
-(Have not checked fues boxes under the hood.)
(Nothing works: lights, alarm, power locks, etc.)
(Can't even jump it off of a working battery.)

EDIT: Update in Post #9
Old 12-19-2005, 11:14 AM
KH3 by popular demand

I know what happens to me sometimes is if the driver door lock is not totally disengaged the starter will not activate. I guess it's part of the security system even if he security system is disabled by removing the fuse.
if you get the dash lights/check engine,brake,etc and you turn the key and the starter doesn't crank it could be that. other than that I would say double check all the fuses and try a new battery again.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:36 PM

For future reference, you want to steer VERY clear of putting a higher amperage fuse into the fuse relay than there should be. My friend did that in his Mazda 626, and over a grand later and one month without his car, the whole engine harness was replaced.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:22 PM
I Broke OT

i know i probably shouldn't have put a higher allowance fus in place of a busted one, but i just needed to go out that night. also, it was only for the taillights so i didn't think it would be too major. (i now have plenty of fuses, so that shouldn't happen again.) i suppose i could try a different battery.

any other ideas?
Old 12-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

make sure you enough fuel. Sometimes when the needle is near Empty and cars sitting for a while, my car would barely start.

Also let the car charge a bit with the jump cables before turning over.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:42 PM
I Broke OT

yeah, i'll try jumping it again, and if nothing there, switch out with a good battery. also, just the night before, i put nearly 15 gallons in... this sucks.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:22 AM
I Broke OT

bump. i'm about to call AAA and have it towed. but first i'm gonna try jumping again, and then switch out a battery. other than that, i dunno what to do.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
i know i probably shouldn't have put a higher allowance fus in place of a busted one, but i just needed to go out that night. also, it was only for the taillights so i didn't think it would be too major. (i now have plenty of fuses, so that shouldn't happen again.) i suppose i could try a different battery.

any other ideas?
My friend only put a higher amperage fuse for the taillights, too...The only difference is he put a 30 amp for a 15 amp since the 15 kept on blowing. Just letting you know, not that your situation was exactly like my friends.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:04 AM
I Broke OT

UPDATE: car finally was able to be started by jumping it. I let it idle for about 3-5 minutes. Then I put it in gear and when I eased out the clutch and gave it some gas, it just died on me.

Now, when I try to start it, it does have power now, but when I turn the key, all I hear is a really fast clicking noise coming from right in front of the driver. I'm assuming this is the starter. How can I tell if it is completely gone, or is the gearing possibly sitting in a spot where it just needs to be knocked/turned a little bit?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Sounds like you need to re-grease your starter. There are instructions on motorvate.ca . I did it myself. It's a pretty easy job.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:53 AM
I Broke OT

yeah, i'm hoping it's as simple as that. fortunately i don't work today, so i'm willing to try some things. also, it has been pretty cold so i wonder if that attributed to a solidifying starter.

EDIT: after reading motorvate, it sounds like he used synthetic lithium soap grease, but only because he had nothing else. Is this the best thing to use, or is there a better alternative? Is white lithium grease the same thing?

EDIT^2: Just searched a bit and white lithium grease it is! I'll give that a try and report back, I guess. I hope that's the problem...