4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fire through exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 02:51 PM

I saw a commericial for that new rice rocket movie. I noticed the green car shoots flames through exhaust. I suspect it is a result of NOS or a rich fuel mixture. Is there any way to do this without have an extremely rich fuel mixture or NOS?
Old 06-06-2001, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Jordan
I saw a commericial for that new rice rocket movie. I noticed the green car shoots flames through exhaust. I suspect it is a result of NOS or a rich fuel mixture. Is there any way to do this without have an extremely rich fuel mixture or NOS?
LOL

I heard somebody talking about mounting a propane tank in their trunk, plumbed to feed a nozzle in their tailpipe. The propane was ignited in their tailpipe by a solenoid controlled spark plug.

I don't think I'd try that if I were you, though...
Old 06-06-2001, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by bullseye

LOL

I heard somebody talking about mounting a propane tank in their trunk, plumbed to feed a nozzle in their tailpipe. The propane was ignited in their tailpipe by a solenoid controlled spark plug.

I don't think I'd try that if I were you, though...
That doesnt sound too safe...
Old 06-07-2001, 09:34 AM

When I was on the RX-7 board, we had a guy that showed a video of his car (decently modified) hitting some flames, but he did it between shifts...also had some other cars on there that could do it too. That green car was a modified Mitsu. Eclipse...yes it was squeezing, and the movie is the Fast and the Furious. Can't really tell you the physics of shooting flames though....all I know is that the pipes on the RX-7's had to be pretty hot.
Old 06-07-2001, 01:27 PM

RX7s are probably the best car to shoot flames since the rotary engine naturally promotes a rich mixture so when the air/fuel mixture isn't fully ignited and it hots the hot exhaust pipes... you either get backfire and no flame or backfire with flames.

all those little R100s at the track that run 9s can shoot flames just from sitting there, rev up to 5000 rpm and let off the throttle
Old 06-07-2001, 01:51 PM

my car shot blue flames, no NOS, no turbo, no supercharger.
Old 06-07-2001, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by BrokenMotor
my car shot blue flames, no NOS, no turbo, no supercharger.
How? what mods do you have and did you tweek the feul/air mixture at all?
Old 06-08-2001, 03:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Way back in the old hot rodding days of the 50s and 60s, guys used to put spark plugs in the tailpipes... They'd do big burnouts smoking the tires and shooting huge flames out the back --- But back in those days, there was much more unburned fuel coming out the pipes making it easier to make flames ...

Come to think about it, that is mainly what a catalytic converter does --- but a lot safer.
Old 06-08-2001, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by chris j vurnis
Way back in the old hot rodding days of the 50s and 60s, guys used to put spark plugs in the tailpipes... They'd do big burnouts smoking the tires and shooting huge flames out the back --- But back in those days, there was much more unburned fuel coming out the pipes making it easier to make flames ...

Come to think about it, that is mainly what a catalytic converter does --- but a lot safer.
So if i replace the cat conv. with a downpipe (off-road only), and add a spark plug to the exhaust it should work? would i also have to richen up my fuel mixture? Lastsly is this safe? I know some can be hit by the flame, but i am not worried about that; i just want to make sure i dont cause any internal damage.
Old 06-08-2001, 07:29 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I have a direct port NOS kit. This is what I can do to shoot flame. Run my car with nitrous on and shut off the nitrous at the bottle with my remote bottle valve opener during the middle of the run. The fuel soleniod will still be still flowing giving me a really rich fuel mixture.
Old 06-08-2001, 08:07 AM

So if i replace the cat conv. with a downpipe (off-road only), and add a spark plug to the exhaust it should work? would i also have to richen up my fuel mixture? Lastsly is this safe? I know some can be hit by the flame, but i am not worried about that; i just want to make sure i dont cause any internal damage.
Just hope it doesn't reverberate back to the combustion chamber ..
Old 06-08-2001, 03:13 PM

nuttin

just a very flowy exhuast