4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

springs vs coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:06 PM

springs vs coilovers

Thinking about lowering the maxima after getting 18' R1 Racing GTR4s but not sure the best way to do it or the most cost effective. Coilovers are probably the way to do it but money is tight if i were to go springs what else would that really entale new shocks? hit me back guys let me know what you think and got on your maximas.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:17 PM
amimaxima

if you go with coilovers you will have a bumpy ride you could just put lowering springs on the stock struts if you wanted to

Old 01-12-2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by amimaxima
if you go with coilovers you will have a bumpy ride you could just put lowering springs on the stock struts if you wanted to
hey so If I get the performance lowering springs http://www.customenterprise.com/view.../vts/design017
it would be better then coil overs right? IF I'm going to get these are they good? Sorry for taking a thread but one question won't hurt.
Thanks

ta
Old 01-12-2006, 08:43 PM

No spring/strut combo will be better then coils. Yes you need struts too they are essential your stockers will blow very quickly. Illuminas seem to be popular along with S-tech springs or H&R springs....

Stop being a ***** though and be hardcore. Get coils you wont regret it...Ill be getting mine in a couple of months...
Old 01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
I support for what?

Coilovers are very well worth the money they are about a 100 or so more then strut/spring combos by the time you get all the other parts
Old 01-12-2006, 09:58 PM

well i guess that is what i am really asking what are all the parts i would need along with springs new struts and shockers or i could just get coilovers .... is that what is comes down too
Old 01-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Wild for Width

The D2's and Ksports have adjustable dampening, when adjusted properly the ride is MUCH smoother than a progressive rate spring.

...and no, lowering springs on stock struts WILL be bouncy as hell because of the lack of dampening and you will most likely blow the struts depending on how much higher the springrates are.

Lowering springs + stocker struts = HonDUH approach.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:06 PM

alright so then coilovers are really the way to do it then over springs if you got the cash and what brands are out there and have u guys used
Old 01-12-2006, 10:28 PM
I support for what?

Yea definately coilovers will outperform any type of suspension and for the price difference there no reason to refuse you have the adjustability of height and dampening

There a groupdeal on tein basic coilovers for 810 shipped which i dunno how good they are but pretty good price. might have to purchase a camber bolt kit though. here link http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=450276

Anyone know good settings for D2 coilovers?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:55 AM
Maximoneypit

ill all depends on what you want........ ive had 3 different setups - AGXs w/ Progress Springs and S-techs and now my D2's. Nothing beats the handling of coilovers however your car will feel stiff. If your looking for all out performance coilovers are the thing. However theres alot to be said about struts and good springs. I hated the S-techs; very bumpy and they dont allow much suspension travel. The spring rate is to soft to drop as low as they do and still perform like top quality springs. I loved my Progress Springs - they offered great handling and did not give a harsh ride. How often do you really take your car to the limit that its suspension can handle? Hopefully not often at all if you are on city roads. So for alot of people it makes sense not to sacrifice so much comfort for extreme handling bc its a daily driven car. I do love my D2's though and will be sticking w/ them - theyre fun to play with and ive gotten use to ride (which is not bad compared to my S-techs; not near as jarring when i hit bumps). So you really need to evaluate what you plan to do w/ the car to make this decision.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:01 AM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by NCSU_MAX
ill all depends on what you want........ ive had 3 different setups - AGXs w/ Progress Springs and S-techs and now my D2's. Nothing beats the handling of coilovers however your car will feel stiff. If your looking for all out performance coilovers are the thing. However theres alot to be said about struts and good springs. I hated the S-techs; very bumpy and they dont allow much suspension travel. The spring rate is to soft to drop as low as they do and still perform like top quality springs. I loved my Progress Springs - they offered great handling and did not give a harsh ride. How often do you really take your car to the limit that its suspension can handle? Hopefully not often at all if you are on city roads. So for alot of people it makes sense not to sacrifice so much comfort for extreme handling bc its a daily driven car. I do love my D2's though and will be sticking w/ them - theyre fun to play with and ive gotten use to ride (which is not bad compared to my S-techs; not near as jarring when i hit bumps). So you really need to evaluate what you plan to do w/ the car to make this decision.
extermely well put.....Tein Basic Coilovers sound like a good choice in this situation.....they are a good combo and affordable....they are like 100 bux more than a good spring/strut combo after all the parts like someone said before......if ur lowering at all i woundnt recommend OE struts go with an upgrade...so evaluate what u really want....do u want soft ride but a nice stance...H&Rs and illuminas might be ur goal....if u want a lil more aggressive handling Eibachs or Progress might be for you....check this site out

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaSprings
Old 01-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree with NCSU_MAX it all depends on what you plan to do with your car. Me personally would love to have a set of coilovers (TEIN baby) but i dont want to throw down the cash when i know they will give me a bumpy ride. I use my car everday in all kinds of traffic. I want a good stance and good performance but i also want a decent ride. The biotch doenst have to ride like a lexus but i dont want it to ride like a coilover sleeve/strut set up (if you have never experienced this get in you car and have a stand in the front and back of your car and push it up and down. its something a little like that. SUCKS) I personally am probably gonna get the progress springs with the illuminas. I have heard good things.

Any one know it Koni or Bilstien make strut/shocks for our cars?

what is you opinion on the springs as far as ride quality and performance to those who have used them?

B
Old 01-13-2006, 03:24 PM

Yea, i'm almost in the same thing, choosing between coilovers or springs. I have my eyes kind of set on either a Tokico springs and Illumia's set. its like $600 roughly. Or get H-tech/illumia's probaly around $600. Or get coilovers for roughly 800$ brand not to sure yet.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:29 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

I managed to drive around w/ my S-techs through pothole hell cities (Detroit, NY). I rode on coilovers and there are no comparison. Handles much better and definitely not as harsh as my S-techs.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:56 PM

ive got a set of JIC A1 coilovers, the handeling is just amazing (also have rsb) i never though a maxima can feel that good in the corners, i have then set to 3 (1=hard, 5=soft) and the ride is not that bad, on the softest setting ita a decent ride. however they were damn expensive and if i were to do it all over i would go with illuminas/eibach. reason is that coilovers are a pain, there are always noises and the metal threading will rust (depending on where u are). another thing i heard (only after getting them) is that the dampners have a short life span and very expensive to replace. keep in mind if u get coilovers and keep changing hight u should also get an alignment every time u raise/lower.

aside from the performance they just look so sick!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:56 PM
VIP Maxima

all of wut u said is false info

Old 01-13-2006, 09:07 PM
amimaxima

The D2's and Ksports have adjustable dampening, when adjusted properly the ride is MUCH smoother than a progressive rate spring.
i wasnt talkin about d2's or ksports

Old 01-13-2006, 09:13 PM
I support for what?

Give me some starting settings for my D2 coilovers
Old 01-13-2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ammi
I managed to drive around w/ my S-techs through pothole hell cities (Detroit, NY). I rode on coilovers and there are no comparison. Handles much better and definitely not as harsh as my S-techs.

Yea the detroit area is really weird. Smooth roads here, crappy roads there. Kinda makes me not want to lower my car.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
Give me some starting settings for my D2 coilovers

Wel, the easiest fool proof way.... turn the adjustment **** all the way either counter-clockwise or clockwise ( on all 4)... go for a drive, increase, reduce shock stiffness/softness accordingly...

for mine, I decided to make the front stiffer up front compared to the rear, but we are talking in the ranges of 1/2 to 1 full turns/

can't get simplier then that, everyone drives differently
Old 01-13-2006, 10:26 PM

i wasnt talkin about d2's or ksports
THen WTF are you talking about??? Those are the two most popular coilover setups at the moment...BE SPECIFIC before making stupid comments...
Old 01-13-2006, 10:48 PM

so as an everyday driver then springs are the way to go or waht u guys are so divided i still feel unanswered on this
Old 01-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just bought my tokico blues brand new on ebay for $299 shipped and I picked up the new demo set of ksport springs for $70. So for less then half the price of a set of coilovers I should be set.Take away the 4x4 look and give a lil better handling. I had a set of the blues on my last s14 and the ride was pretty good for a lowered car w/ s-techs. I will be installing the setup tomorrow so I'll be able to give a better answer in a few days. I just think if your max is your DD then you should think long and hard(ride) no pun intended about getting coilovers. Also think about the life expectancy of them. I think tein or JIC says something about every 2-3yrs they will need a rebuild. My roommates s14 fronts were $300 for the pair(teins) to get a rebuild