4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Blowing All BOSE spkrs......*please read...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 08:55 AM
Blazin......

Blowing All BOSE spkrs......*please read...

Hello... Ok I did read the FAQ's on how to run Aftermarket HU with the BOSE system.
1. I purchased the NIS2-OEM1 convertor.
2. I purchase a 05Kenwood MP728 CD player.
3. Installed.
Ok so i hooked all the connections to the adaptor and the headunit harness correctly. Im positive b/c all the wires color-cordinated together fine.
**Tuesday 1/17/06, afterwork all the speakers sounded fine and worked great. I installed the CD that night.
After installation I thought. "they said it would bring the BOSE speakers to life and sound alot better using this HU... huh, sounds weak.
Balancing EQ and Listening to the speakers.. huh, OK R-Rear speaker Not on. Ohm's tested it, getting power, ok so maybe thats been blown ok.
**Thursday 1/19/06, afterwork i got to listening to the speakers again.
OK so now the L-Rear speaker is barley on and hardly working....wtf...

I followed the FAQ instructions and Still blew my BOSE speakers... wtf...?
I ask this bc Dave responded to me and said i need YET-ANOTHER converter like a soche thing.. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=451357

NOW What is Going on... Do we need to Update our FAQ's so we dont ruin everyones system.....?

~am i smokin crack or what happened. *someone please help.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Blazin......

PS*Moderator. This may not be in the correct forumn but the 4thGen Faq's may need to be updated if this xtra part is truely needed.
**Feedback People? and not the get a whole new system reply, i liked my BOSE.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Do I get a tax break?

I thought you needed a PAC ROEM-NIS2 series adapter...
Old 01-20-2006, 09:03 AM

After installing the converter did you turn down the levels? If not that could be your reason. Also check you connections, maybe something is grounding out. The converter I used was the PAC-OEM1, and it worked fine for me. Im no longer using it though.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Blazin......

How far do the levels need to go down.??? I thought its purpose was to double the sound output for the bose or something.
YES> i purchased the NIS2-OEM1 part.....

Look at that link. Dave said somethinga bout the Soche Adaptor..Wtf is that?
**thanks for the help all...i swear i have so much $ in this damn car im gettin sick
Old 01-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Regarding that Scosche adapter, here ya go buddy:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KD2CLbK...search=scosche

I installed a Pioneer head unit on my dad's 95 max using the stock Bose speakers and it works fine. I didn't use any special adapters like the Scosche, etc., only those needed to make the wiring connections, i.e. the harnesses. The system sounds good. Of course I warned my dad not to turn the volume up too high or the speakers will blow at a level lower than that used on the Bose head unit.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Blazin......

Matty: is it very loud at all?

The OEM1-NIS2 Adaptor is used to dbl the CDplayer output so there is more sound bc without it, the HU is barley loud (so the FAQ's told me this)

The Soleche thing... I would like to know what the hell thats for. And i didnot see that in the FAQ with the final parts list. ~hense how i blew my BOSE speakers.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by bobjohnson
How far do the levels need to go down.??? I thought its purpose was to double the sound output for the bose or something.
YES> i purchased the NIS2-OEM1 part.....

Look at that link. Dave said somethinga bout the Soche Adaptor..Wtf is that?
**thanks for the help all...i swear i have so much $ in this damn car im gettin sick
First of all, i think you should note that you never get something for nothing. Case in point. .Your Bose Speakers can only play as loud as they can play. It has nothing to do with adaptors you may add on. There is no magic box that is gonna make the bose play louder. The speakers are what they are. Nothing more or less. Yes, you may be able to play louder with less turning of the volume **** , but this has bothing to due with the Peak wattage that these puny onboard amps can provide and what the speeakers are capable of handling. You are overloading the bose setup.

Second of all, you should also know that by simply changing out headunits, you really are not gaining a whole lot of SOUND QUALITY, what you are gaining is a little more control than what the bose/ clarion unit originally had, but don't get this confused with SQ.

Remember- the weakest link in your setup is the speakers and their locations. Unless you are willing to change the speakers and get a real amp, all the money you spend on adapters and head units is moot. You are just chasing your tail. In my opinion, pulling the bose out is the only solution to have any type of worthy sound improvement. Good luck. And don't feel that just b/c your car has BOSE printed on the speaker grills, that there is a quality stereo system already in place. that would be far from the truth. Good luck.

P.S. I would definitly check out Elemental designs if you can stretch it, as they usually have package deals and offer products of superior performance for the same or less money than mass market brands.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:19 PM
Blazin......

Originally Posted by FormorAccordMan
.Your Bose Speakers can only play as loud as they can play. It has nothing to do with adaptors you may add on.
Well. As Noted in the FAQ. When using an aftermarket HU with bose speakers/amp there is not enough sound or volume. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=193528

There is no magic box that is gonna make the bose play louder.
Actually. Thats why they have the OEM1-NIS2 Adaptor.~i thought.

Second of all, you should also know that by simply changing out headunits, you really are not gaining a whole lot of SOUND QUALITY
I read the FAQ's by 20 different users that they see a better quality in sound. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=193528
In my opinion, pulling the bose out is the only solution to have any type of worthy sound improvement.
I did pull out the BOSE, and replaced it with a 05Kenwood.

I liked my BOSE setup for the sound quality and base it had. I didnt want anything better and i didnt really expect for it to be, but what from others said it improves clarity.

I will check that site but now im stuck replacing rear BOSE speakers and possibly the Door speakers...
**Why didnt the Audio/Faq's state that i need a Soleche Convertor? Now this has costed me much more than i ever wanted and adds to my reasons on selling this car...so much money..
Old 01-20-2006, 12:55 PM

QUOTE-Actually. Thats why they have the OEM1-NIS2 Adaptor.~i thought.

-The adapter is simply to be able to have the aftermarket head unit play through the bose setup. The box itself my provide GAIN, but higher volume doe NOT equal higher wattage, because you are simply getting a higher line voltage, and not adding amplifier power. In all actuality, that box is just another link in the chain, and fundamentaly speaking, the more things in the signal chain, the more SQ degrades. There is NO way that the adapter can pass the same level of clarity that the head unit potentially provides as if it was hooked up to a real amp.

QUOTE-"I read the FAQ's by 20 different users that they see a better quality in sound. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=193528"
better quality is a highly subjective term in this particular scenario. In all honesty- people throw this term around way too much. Understand that some people think that they have a SQ system, b/c they bought an alpine HU, some RF speakers, a kenwood amp and a sony explode sub in a prefab box. Yes, it may sound decent, but it is hardly a system that one could call a SQ system. Allot of creating a good system, goes into the installation itself. ALot of people THINK they have heard a top notch system, but in reality have not. Now I am not talking about some huge power house system,with 15 inch subs etc etc. i am talking about a simple, but WELL EXECUTED system.

QUOTE-I did pull out the BOSE, and replaced it with a 05Kenwood.
-I meant pulling the ENTIRE system out. speakers and all. using any type of these adapters, schoche or whatever else, is simply an easy fix to hear sound through your bose speakers. It is not meant to be part of "real" system.

QUOTE "I liked my BOSE setup for the sound quality and base it had. I didnt want anything better and i didnt really expect for it to be, but what from others said it improves clarity."

-If this was the case then why go through all the trouble? Why didnt you keep what you had? Isnt SQ the name of the game here?
I doubt that this SQ difference is substantial... again, you are pretty much getting more control of the music, but i doubt that you are gaining anymore accuracy or resolution than what the onboard DAC's in the original bose HU provided. being able to tweak Super highs and super lows is NOT SOUND Quality- it is simply equalization. The speaker cones themselves have remained the same! Now getting a full rich detailed sound without having to reach for the tone controls is a characterstic of having a SQ system.

QUOTE-I will check that site but now im stuck replacing rear BOSE speakers and possibly the Door speakers...
-If you spend more money on the BOSE system, especially replacing those bogus speakers/ amps, you are completely wasting your money. This is a fact. This is not a simple opinion. you can do SOOO Much better for probably cheaper.

Look- I am not disrespecting you or saying that you yourself cannot hear any differences between head units when using an adapter with the bose system. I just hate seeing a fellow orger make some mistakes when I help them make better, more informed decisions. If you have anything that i could help with, lemme know.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Blazin......

Oh none taken man. I acctually appreciate the help/advise.

I only replaced the BOSE-HU bc it wouldnt play cd's anymore and the screen light didnt work. I dont like big steros and such nowadays. I like to keep my car from gettin jacked. (now 5yrs ago i had a Mazda B2000 with 8 rockford audiophile 8's & soundstream everything)~now i like to keep my hearing.

I also wanted to have mp3 or ipod capability.

I THOUGHT the FAQs would give me all the greatest info and everything would go perfect. I re-read the FAQ's and it says either the Solscehe or NIS2 part, not both. so i had the correct part. What went wrong you think?

** I personally think the system sounds like a NON-BOSE chevy system with the NIS2-OEM adaptor and stock bose speakers. You should really hear how crappy the tone is...
Old 01-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Maintenance Monster

I THOUGHT the FAQs would give me all the greatest info and everything would go perfect. I re-read the FAQ's and it says either the Solscehe or NIS2 part, not both. so i had the correct part. What went wrong you think?

** I personally think the system sounds like a NON-BOSE chevy system with the NIS2-OEM adaptor and stock bose speakers. You should really hear how crappy the tone is...
First, yes, I used a Scosche instead of an NIS2. I did not know about the NIS2OEM adapter back when I got the Scosche. I think they do the same thing - the point is that directly connecting from the headunit to the Bose speakers is not good. I followed my brother's method (Geese): http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hlight=scosche

The reason why I'll bet your sound is getting bad and/or the speaker amps are dying electrolytic capacitors. Google for Nichicon and Panasonic and you'll find many stories of power electronics that die prematurely due the cheapo Nichicons. In all the cases I found, the Panasonics fixed it. If you fix one of your Bose amps (and it fixes that speaker), I would fix the other 3 before they too die. The only reason I 'know' it's the caps is because it's usually the caps And because you said the coil tests out ok. If you feel inquisitive, you can remove the amp circuit board from the speaker and switch it with any of the other 3 - if the problem follows the board that's all the evidence I think you can get.

Dave
Old 01-23-2006, 12:17 AM

i used the SCOSCHE adaptor from crutchfield to install a pioneer HU, & my rear speakers don't get loud at all. the fronts work ok, but a couple times, my L one just went dead, so i had to adjust the balance & it works ok now. my power ant doesn't go up either. what a PITA just to have mp3 capability. i'd like to change all of my BOSE speakers out now...
Old 01-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

to answer your question from before.......yeah, it does play very loud. Sound quality is actually pretty good, can't really complain all that much. I agree with what's been said, definitely check out those caps in the amps. You're signal is just not being boosted enough, it seems, hence the reason why it might be the amp(s)
Old 01-23-2006, 05:46 AM

most of the sound quality improvment with a good aftermarket h/u is due to the amount of fine tuning frequency options. the bose only has bass and treble controls.with a good aftermarket h/u you get many more eq curves and other various fine tuning options which vary from unit to unit
Old 01-23-2006, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by deeloc
most of the sound quality improvment with a good aftermarket h/u is due to the amount of fine tuning frequency options. the bose only has bass and treble controls.with a good aftermarket h/u you get many more eq curves and other various fine tuning options which vary from unit to unit
tHIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG!!
Old 01-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Blazin......

tHIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG!!
Lol. .i know i know man.....
Im leaning more towards new speakers this week.
I just want an MP3 player... i wish i could wire this up on a 95 BOSE but the ideas and write-ups arent all together yet.
ONE THING to remember guys: I live in St.Louis, actually county. But EVERY WEEKEND im parkin my car behind a club, or going to an afterparty or someones place in the Ghetto... straight raw doggin' it crack slaggin parts of the hood....

I have no problem with goin to these places bc they look in and see a factory BOSE then walk away...ive watched them do this twice now... I even went outside a party to pay a guy $20 not to break my glass in my car

I was thinking about keeping the BOSE radio there and installing a MP3/CD below the BOSE and removing the face when i get out of my car....
BTW> yes i have 2 kill switches in the cab of the car & right to carry in st.louis MO.

Any good recomendations for coaxil 6 1/2's... isnt that what 95's have all around is 6 1/2's?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=bobjohnson]Lol. .i know i know man.....
I have no problem with goin to these places bc they look in and see a factory BOSE then walk away...ive watched them do this twice now... I even went outside a party to pay a guy $20 not to break my glass in my car

Come again? why did you pay a guy 20 dollars?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Blazin......

reason for the $20..

Come again? why did you pay a guy 20 dollars?
I paid the guy bc he was looking in my window and walked away for a sec then came back to look again.. i went outside (8am mind you) and gave the dude a $20 and smoked with him for a sec and asked him to just save me the trouble of breaking in the glass on my car b/c its all factory and i dont have nething inside it...

when i left that party 4pm, (after i slept) you can bet he lived across the street and my car wasnt damaged/scratched/ or broken into. Ol Boy was watchin it for me : ) Friends:close, Enemies:closer..
Old 01-23-2006, 09:31 AM

Make sure you turn up the levels with a 5star screwdriver on the adaptor. I had the same problem, re read all the directions and figured it out. Some were all the way down and some were on, hence, why i thought some of my speakers were blown. Also, its possible some of your crimps came out. Mine did. Open it back up.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:33 AM

I paid the guy bc he was looking in my window and walked away for a sec then came back to look again.. i went outside (8am mind you) and gave the dude a $20 and smoked with him for a sec and asked him to just save me the trouble of breaking in the glass on my car b/c its all factory and i dont have nething inside it...

when i left that party 4pm, (after i slept) you can bet he lived across the street and my car wasnt damaged/scratched/ or broken into. Ol Boy was watchin it for me : ) Friends:close, Enemies:closer..
rock on! smart man.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Blazin......

Originally Posted by descent
Make sure you turn up the levels with a 5star screwdriver on the adaptor. I had the same problem, re read all the directions and figured it out. Some were all the way down and some were on, hence, why i thought some of my speakers were blown. Also, its possible some of your crimps came out. Mine did. Open it back up.
Right on! so your saying open the OEM-NIS2 thingy up. and check the crimps inside that? seriously....didnt know it came apart.
HOW MUCH did you turn those gains???? I originally had it set on the factory level which was very low... then i turned it up bc my speakers wernt sounding too great...then they blew. imagine that.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:47 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Right on! so your saying open the OEM-NIS2 thingy up. and check the crimps inside that? seriously....didnt know it came apart.
HOW MUCH did you turn those gains???? I originally had it set on the factory level which was very low... then i turned it up bc my speakers wernt sounding too great...then they blew. imagine that.

No he's saying check all of your connections that you made. There is something definately wrong here, you might want to save yourself all the trouble and hassle and take in to a shop. Our advice is good, but unless you are able to use it and determine part of the problem and fix it without asking so many repetitive questions its not going to get done, better off letting the pro's take over at some point.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:33 PM

I have been reading and researching all of the same stickies that you guys are talking about and decided to replace the whole system in my 96 Max. My Bose has been dying for a while and now its completely crapped out.

Since the whole audio system is about 10 years old now, and since there is such an assload of hassle to replace only the H/U...I figured to go ahead and do it all. So I recently bought:
- SONY CDX-F5710 CD/MP3/AUX INPUT H/U
- ALPINE SPR-17LS 6.5" COMPONENT SPEAKERS
- ALPINE SPR-17LP 6.5" COAXIAL SPEAKERS

All from eBay for about $400. I will be installing it all as soon as the speakers arrive
Old 01-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Maintenance Monster

Hey, any busted or old Bose stuff you have I'll buy for the right price.

Dave
Old 01-24-2006, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Hey, any busted or old Bose stuff you have I'll buy for the right price.

Dave

I'll soon have a busted radio and all six speakers and amps in good condition removed from my car. I'll sell them for very cheap + shipping. Let me know.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Maintenance Monster

Since the forum isn't allowing PMs, just send details to dgeesaman at yahoo.com when you have them out.

Dave