4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4 letter EXPLOITIVE! how did my battery die overnight?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:29 PM

4 letter EXPLOITIVE! how did my battery die overnight?!

last night i got home at about 11pm. turned my headlights off, locked the car, went inside. interior lights were off, ect. car started instantly when i left to go home.

now tonight i go to leave to see a lady friend, and BOOM. nothing at all. i was trying to unlock my car with the remote and it wouldnt unlock!
ended up using the key, and tried the lights(in and out) and nothing would do anything. all was dark. the inside light was set to door. the car locked with the remote last night so the doors were closed, and headlights were off.

how the heck does my battery go from great to totally dead in less than 24 hours!!?!?!?!

i checked with my multimeter, its reading 3.52v.

cliffs:
1. car started and worked perfectly at 11pm last night
2. 100% sure the interior and headlights were off and all doors were closed properly last night.
3. go to leave tonight and battery is dead. battery terminals read 3.52v
4. no profit for me (and no lady friend either )
Old 01-29-2006, 11:11 PM

thats really odd, I can only think of 2 things.

1) ur battery leaked voltage somehow, meaning the battery is useless n all the juice is out. In that case, u need to wash ur engine as quickly as possible because battery acid is dangerous, but then once you open up the hood, you should smell a rotten smell or something
2) god doesn't want you to see this lady friend, and if you persist to anyways, it will be more than just a car battery.

Dunno what else to tell ya
Old 01-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've been dealing with this for about 6 months now. I just posted a thread yesterday about this. Look for the post that says "I hope someone can help (Parasitic Draw)" and that's me. It's called Parasitic Draw. What it is at least in my case their is something in the car that is drawing more current then it is suppose to. Charge your battery and a way to check is to take the negative ring off the battery terminal. Using milliamps with your meter. Put the red probe of your meter on the neative ring and put the black probe of your meter on the negative battery post. this will give you the draw that your car is using. Problem is and the reason I posted was I needed to know what the normal Parasitic Draw value is. Once you find out how many milliamps are considered normal. You then leave the meter hooked up like explained above and start pulling fuses 1 at a time until you see the meter go to where the correct amount of milliamps is. This will tell you what circuit is giving you the draw. Then you need to find out everything that is on that circuit and check it. The usual suspects are the altenator, trunk light, visor mirrors it could be anything. Good luck!! Like I said I been dealing with this for a while. Hope yours is an easy fix. Let me know what you come up with.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
thats really odd, I can only think of 2 things.

1) ur battery leaked voltage somehow, meaning the battery is useless n all the juice is out. In that case, u need to wash ur engine as quickly as possible because battery acid is dangerous, but then once you open up the hood, you should smell a rotten smell or something
2) god doesn't want you to see this lady friend, and if you persist to anyways, it will be more than just a car battery.

Dunno what else to tell ya
it was dark but i checked the battery physically with a flashlight, the clamps looked a bit corroded but nothing major. they were making contact. (tested the clamps and battery plugs and both read exactly the same)

i didnt see anything in there that looked bad.
i DID smell something that was almost like burning.. it was rotten or foul, but like a burning piece of paper maybe. it could have been someone with a fireplace up the street though. i couldnt smell it once i opened the hood, i smelled around a bit.

should i go ahread and get a new battery, or jump it and take it to a shop to have them tell me whats up?
Old 01-30-2006, 05:49 AM

When was the last time you changed your battery? It really could just be as simple as that. Batteries have a life span like all other parts on the car. It could be that you just had enough juice to get you started that one time and after that you just didn't have enough juice to crank it up. Its happened to me before.
If thats not the case start tracing it back to the last electronical thing you had installed on the car. You could possibly have a parasitic drane..
Old 01-30-2006, 06:02 AM
100% chingon

maximum1005 gave you good advice. Proceed to test it. If you don't have a multimeter then disconnect the + terminal and connect a 12V sidelight bulb (6 watts) between the + terminal and the B+ cable. If the bulb glows, you have a parasitic drain. Find it.
If there is no parasitic drain, the most likely thing, if your battery is 2 years or more, is that it has developed a 'dead cell' in which case you will have to change it.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by clive
maximum1005 gave you good advice. Proceed to test it. If you don't have a multimeter then disconnect the + terminal and connect a 12V sidelight bulb (6 watts) between the + terminal and the B+ cable. If the bulb glows, you have a parasitic drain. Find it.
If there is no parasitic drain, the most likely thing, if your battery is 2 years or more, is that it has developed a 'dead cell' in which case you will have to change it.
reading posts helps bro

i tested it with my mutimeter and its reading 3.5volts. something ate all the juice the battery had overnight, or it just up and died very quickely.

im probably just going to go get a new battery from nissan. this one is probably a few years old. i bought the car less than a year ago(~last march) and i havnt done *anything* to it. no mods, installs, parts or anything. well, oil changes, but that doesnt count.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:51 PM

Buy a new battery and it will go dead like the old one if there is a current draw. A few milliamps will not drain your battery that quickly. It has to be close to or above 1Amp. Recharge your battery and listen first for any relays clicking the minute you reconnect it. If you don't hear anything then it's time to start pulling fuses to isolate the source. It's PITA but most shops charge $$$ to trace parasitic draws.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:33 PM
be the change u want2C

you know whats funny... my car died on me also about 2 months ago when i was about to go see a lady friend too... hmmm??? can someone extrapolate a scientific theroy behind this?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:42 PM

How are the battery connections? I had the same thing happen only it happened during school. At the end of the day i was like **** omg did i leave a light on or something? I opened the hood getting read for a jump, and wiggled the connections. Boom, headlights on...she started right up and i was good to go
Old 01-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Well, I waited, but since no one else pointed it out... it's spelt expletive

Sounds like you've got a current drain somewhere... put a ammeter inline with the battery and see what the power-off drain is, then pull one fuse at a time until to find the circuit... and then you troubleshoot from there.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:34 PM

It's spelled read. Because thats exatly what I told him to do.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:50 AM

well.. the battery settled on a voltage of around 12.4 after i jumped it and let it run for ~15 min.

i just went and got a new battery and thus far its working perfectly. its probly just my battery died... or something.. stupid cars.. im so broke
Old 01-31-2006, 07:15 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by maximum1005
It's spelled read. Because thats exatly what I told him to do.
I just copied your post