4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine almost stalls when shifting out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 09:00 AM

Engine almost stalls when shifting out of gear

Hey everyone...I've got a 96 I30t manual and when I'm driving normally once out of every 5 times or so I'll hit the clutch and throw it in neutral and the engine RPM goes down to 400 and the steering wheel vibrates from this and then the RPMs go back up to 700 or whatever normal idle is. This happenes regardless of the speed I'm going...sometimes with normal city driving it happenes, sometimes exiting the freeway and I'll shift out of gear and I feel the engine about to stall then it recovers...

I've cleaned my throttle body not too long ago, and I'm positive my fuel injectos are not the problem because the car FLYS when I get heavy on the gas pedal...the engine overall is in very good shape.

Can this be the Idle Control Valve? Like I said I don't feel like it's anything to do with fuel delivery (I've also changed my fuel filter not too long ago, and I only fill up 91 octane Shell V-power which I guees cleans as you drive). Also the engine idles fine when left alone, and start-ups are normal in any weather.

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:50 AM

I've also had my spark plugs changed and all of my coils are in working condition, if it matters.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Bumping this thread since it appears no one ever replied to it. As of yesterday after a driving about 600 miles, got off the highway and experienced this same issue. Any suggestions? feels like it might be a dirty IACV so I'm gonna clean it after I get out of class but is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?
Old 07-11-2009, 09:59 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Bumping this thread since it appears no one ever replied to it. As of yesterday after a driving about 600 miles, got off the highway and experienced this same issue. Any suggestions? feels like it might be a dirty IACV so I'm gonna clean it after I get out of class but is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?
Look for any vac lines or hoses that might be loose or cracked, clean the IACV thoroughly, and just look for anything that seems 'out of place'.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Look for any vac lines or hoses that might be loose or cracked, clean the IACV thoroughly, and just look for anything that seems 'out of place'.
Alright so here's what I got so far, the small pipe coming out of the fuel pressure regulator where the actual vacuum hose goes is broken off, I'm gonna go ahead and guess that that very well may be the cause. I'm gonna pick up a replacement fuel pressure reg from the JY later and hope that's the cause.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:56 AM

Have the same problem for a very long time. Worse when I have the ac on which is everytime I drive.

I also checked all the hoses and everythng is plugged in and nothing cracked or brittle. Removed the iacv and it was spotless. Is there supposed to be a gasket for the iacv? I didnt have one. I did a mevi install a while back and dont remember if there was one before. Byt the idle problem was from before that.

Hey columbian did you fix your problem?
Old 07-12-2009, 12:23 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by tlrmax
Have the same problem for a very long time. Worse when I have the ac on which is everytime I drive.

I also checked all the hoses and everythng is plugged in and nothing cracked or brittle. Removed the iacv and it was spotless. Is there supposed to be a gasket for the iacv? I didnt have one. I did a mevi install a while back and dont remember if there was one before. Byt the idle problem was from before that.

Hey columbian did you fix your problem?
Yes, there's supposed to be an IACV gasket. You really need one to ensure you aren't getting unmetered air into the intake.

Have you made sure the AC idle-up plunger is working properly?
Old 07-12-2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Yes, there's supposed to be an IACV gasket. You really need one to ensure you aren't getting unmetered air into the intake.

Have you made sure the AC idle-up plunger is working properly?
If you are talking about the plunger in the iacv, then it works fine. I'm trying to call around for the gasket.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:52 PM

Yesterday I went to the JY (my old job ) picked up a MAF and Fuel Pressure Reg. Got home and I cleaned out the throttle body as well as the IACV which surprisingly wasnt too dirty but regardless had some buildup. The hose for the fuel pressure reg was slightly ripped at the opening, tried replacing it since I bought like 3ft worth of cut to fit hose a couple months ago but it was the wrong size so thats one of the last things I gotta take care of.

Later today I'm gonna take a nice long drive to determine whether what I did solved the issue or not. I'm bringing that spare MAF with just in case it has not. I read on another "stalling" thread that a couple of other guys solved this issue with a different MAF.

BTW, brand new OE shifter bushing and recentering spring make shifting sooo much better its not even funny. I think I want an STS to compliment them
Old 07-29-2009, 08:16 AM

Columbian were you able to fix your problem? I did have an iacv gasket . it fell on the floor when I removed the iacv. So that was put back on and I still have the same problem.

Anymore ideas I van try. What dors the ects do and how do I check it and where is it?