4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Short throw

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 05:34 PM

Short throw

Anyone got a short throw shifter, what brand, where'd ya buy it, and has it made the shifting and less grindy. My shifter is super grindy so i just wanna replace the shifter altogether.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by 97maximaman
My shifter is super grindy so i just wanna replace the shifter altogether.
Grindy??? Maybe you should look at replacing the tranny first.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:38 PM

Not so much grindy, i guess thats the wrong word, it just doesnt glide. I like a shifter that glides like a hot knife through butter.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:40 PM
I support for what?

Well you arent gonna get that from a luxury car better upgrade to a sports car
Old 03-23-2006, 06:41 PM

Haha, i thought we drive a sports car.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:48 PM

Getting a short shifter will only make the notchy feel worse. Try replacing your tranny fluid with redline MT90.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:55 PM

The shorter you go the more notchy it'll get. Your best bet is to check the shifter rod to make sure it isn't bent or anything and flush the tranny and replenish with Redline MT90.

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Getting a short shifter will only make the notchy feel worse. Try replacing your tranny fluid with redline MT90.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I made the stupid mistake of getting a BS nismo short throw shifter from ebay and it sucks. It hits the plastic trim in 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear. I didn't even notice a shorter throw with it. I think I would have been better off with stock than the one I got now. The B&M shifter is supposed to be good from what i've read. I'm running amsoil in my tranny and I think I know what you mean by the notchy feeling. This is my second tranny in this car and they both felt the same so I guess that's just how the maxima trannys are unless my linkage is screwed up somewhere. My dad has a BMW 530i and that thing shifts smooth as butter. Not notchy at all but then again, it's a BMW. The funny thing is I paid about 1/4 of the price he paid for that thing to get the Max and I still beat him in a race.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

might want to try raising ur clutch pedal up a bit too
Old 03-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Proud Maxima Owner

I have a pace setter in mine it's okay. Sometimes car shifts like a dream ane other times like a tank, but I'm definately going to take MorpheusZero & DR-Max advice and change my tranny fluid w/ redline MT-90.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:09 PM

Ok, how do i adjust the clutch pedal up a bit? Another thing i've noticed(since we're on the topic of trannies) is that the pedal squeaks a bit sometimes near the bottom of it and is a little tough to push that last 1/2 inch. Only sometimes though. Someone told me it is a bad pressure plate but i'd like some more input. Clutch was last done about 30000 miles ago, so that may help.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:17 PM

anybody? any help?
Old 03-24-2006, 02:21 PM

My pedal squeeks but I just ignore it. It's been doin it since I got the car and I had the clutch replaced. I think the pedal just needs to be lubed up. It doesn't affect the way it drives at all. But it sounds like you hear the squeek from outside the car so if that's the case then It's probably not the pedal.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:41 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

yea you get a short shifter it will makes it much more of a pain in the *** to shift, and more notchy. I love my short shifer when i am drivng more aggresive. But when i am in traffic, and i have to shift alot it get real old real quick. I am thinking of changing mine back.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
Well you arent gonna get that from a luxury car better upgrade to a sports car
404 luxurycarnotfound. He drives a maxima, not a luxury car.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:28 PM

What about bushings, if i just replace the bushings in the shifter will that do annything?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Has his VINs memorized

I just changed my shifter bushing and plate bolt, as for before and after? I would file that under PLACEBO EFFECT.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:09 PM

Ok, just curious, anyone know where to get this red line mt 90, or if there is another acceptable fluid. I dont think my AZ has it so just curious where u get it. Also anyone know how the clutch pedal is adjusted?
Old 03-26-2006, 03:23 PM

Here you go: http://www.redlineoil.com/dealers.asp

Just enter your zip and search away.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by NYC32798
I made the stupid mistake of getting a BS nismo short throw shifter from ebay and it sucks. It hits the plastic trim in 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear. I didn't even notice a shorter throw with it. I think I would have been better off with stock than the one I got now. The B&M shifter is supposed to be good from what i've read. I'm running amsoil in my tranny and I think I know what you mean by the notchy feeling. This is my second tranny in this car and they both felt the same so I guess that's just how the maxima trannys are unless my linkage is screwed up somewhere. My dad has a BMW 530i and that thing shifts smooth as butter. Not notchy at all but then again, it's a BMW. The funny thing is I paid about 1/4 of the price he paid for that thing to get the Max and I still beat him in a race.
I bought that one too. I had to bend it using a torch to get it to sit a little further back. Shifts feel more harsh now... It seems like it is doing more harm then good, I would reccomend either buying a good quality one or just staying stock imho
Old 03-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Ichiban King

I had the B&M and it was awesome for racing man but if you're good you can still do well with stock and heres the great thing its comfortable (stock).
Old 04-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Project Ruby......

Hate to bump an old thread.

But I just purchase a urethane bushing and figured I would get a STS while I'm going to be fiddling around under there anyway.

I remember on eBay there were some shifters for our cars made by SRS I believe. Made of high quality steel. I know a few ORGers have them, and were pleased with them especially for the price.

But do a search now on eBay and can not find them. I was curious though if this was it even though it does not say SRS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Short...QQcmdZViewItem

Says made of 303 High quality steel. Sounds like the SRS same price. It has to be. I guess what I am asking. Guys with the SRS shifters does this look like yours??
Old 04-18-2006, 07:17 PM

Custom Enterprise makes one for $100, its the best rated short throw for our cars. Rather than buying the crappy one, just get the CE because u'll end up needing it when the ebay one breaks, lol.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Maximoneypit

last summer i installed my B&M STS and polyurethane bushing from Top Element Tuning along w/ replacing the tranny fluid w/ Amsoil Synthetic - all i can say is wow.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:42 PM

I doubt it if you would ever see SRS again on eBay. I got one from Dynasty Auto, stainless steel and very reasonable. The only issue with this one was that the shifter was hitting the trim at 1,3, & 5th gears. I simply took it to an exhaust shop, had them heat the shifter and bend it just like the oem was. No more hitting and have never had any issues since then. The only thing that you will notice is that the feel will be notchier but that's a given with these things. The STS you found seems ok but you will definitely have to bend it otherwise it will also hit the shifter trim.

Originally Posted by 4DRSpeed
Hate to bump an old thread.

But I just purchase a urethane bushing and figured I would get a STS while I'm going to be fiddling around under there anyway.

I remember on eBay there were some shifters for our cars made by SRS I believe. Made of high quality steel. I know a few ORGers have them, and were pleased with them especially for the price.

But do a search now on eBay and can not find them. I was curious though if this was it even though it does not say SRS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Short...QQcmdZViewItem

Says made of 303 High quality steel. Sounds like the SRS same price. It has to be. I guess what I am asking. Guys with the SRS shifters does this look like yours??
Old 04-18-2006, 11:32 PM
HallKemar

Originally Posted by 97maximaman
Anyone got a short throw shifter, what brand, where'd ya buy it, and has it made the shifting and less grindy. My shifter is super grindy so i just wanna replace the shifter altogether.
my car came with a short shifter. I wish I could tell you the brand but i dont know ...I love it though..

Old 04-18-2006, 11:35 PM
HallKemar

Originally Posted by NYC32798
why wouldnt his bmw shift smoother then ur maxima?

Old 04-19-2006, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by HallKemar
why wouldnt his bmw shift smoother then ur maxima?
stop being a smart ***....
Old 04-19-2006, 01:32 PM

Has anyone considered using the original shifter, simply modifying it for a shorter throw? My understanding is that you lengthen the shaft below the pivot and shorten the shaft above the pivot for the short-throw. I may be wrong, but couldn't you just cut and weld the original shifter? Maybe it seems easy to me because I can have the cut and weld done for free. Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:36 PM

You can do that but the throw will still be the same because the shaft length below the pivot is the same and now you are taking some of the leverage off of the shaft above the pivot thus making it more difficult to shift with a shortened shifter. Many people have done it and later on decided to get a real STS.

Originally Posted by toddemullins
Has anyone considered using the original shifter, simply modifying it for a shorter throw? My understanding is that you lengthen the shaft below the pivot and shorten the shaft above the pivot for the short-throw. I may be wrong, but couldn't you just cut and weld the original shifter? Maybe it seems easy to me because I can have the cut and weld done for free. Any thoughts on this?