4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

the wheel shimmy saga continues.. front end pro's step in

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 08:51 PM

the wheel shimmy saga continues.. front end pro's step in

ok.. had this car for 2 years now, and have reached my breaking point with this.. im ready to drive this car off a cliff..

ive changed just about all the obvious things since ive had it. ive done both control arms, with all the bushings of course. both ball joints, inner and outter tie rod ends. both stabalizer links, new rims, new tires, 4 new rotors, both axles and all struts. i dont experience any more/less of a shake when i apply the brakes at highway speeds, so my new rotors have not warped.

i have no "wandering" on the highway which leads me to believe there is no issue with the rack, and i have no play in my wheel. everything is nice and tight. of course ive had my wheels balanced countless times, and as far as my alignment goes, all lights are green, so theres no problem there. bearings are fine, no noise from them, and i have no play if i try to move my rim around like you would do if you were checking ball joints. i would not think it could be the bearing anyway, cause its been doing this almost the enitre time ive had the car.

ive managed to narrow it down to my left front wheel. ( driver's side ). and one thing i have noticed, is that if i put a smaller wheel on, the shimmy subsides to a manageable level, but its still slightly noticeable. ( i swapped my 17" to a 15" to see ).

all this leads me to belive there is a slight defect in the hub/ race/ or bearing some how.. im not too familiar with the hub aspect, so if anyone can provide me with some info on what could be the cause of this issue in that area, im all ears. anyone with any knowledge or similar experience with hub issues please post. thanks in advance.

btw- the shimmy becomes noticable at about 60 mph (give or take), and is more noticable with increased speed. if i swap to the smaller rim, i belive it becomes slightly noticable at about 75 or 80.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:27 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by Stuntin' 101
ok.. had this car for 2 years now, and have reached my breaking point with this.. im ready to drive this car off a cliff..

ive changed just about all the obvious things since ive had it. ive done both control arms, with all the bushings of course. both ball joints, inner and outter tie rod ends. both stabalizer links, new rims, new tires, 4 new rotors, both axles and all struts. i dont experience any more/less of a shake when i apply the brakes at highway speeds, so my new rotors have not warped.

i have no "wandering" on the highway which leads me to believe there is no issue with the rack, and i have no play in my wheel. everything is nice and tight. of course ive had my wheels balanced countless times, and as far as my alignment goes, all lights are green, so theres no problem there. bearings are fine, no noise from them, and i have no play if i try to move my rim around like you would do if you were checking ball joints. i would not think it could be the bearing anyway, cause its been doing this almost the enitre time ive had the car.

ive managed to narrow it down to my left front wheel. ( driver's side ). and one thing i have noticed, is that if i put a smaller wheel on, the shimmy subsides to a manageable level, but its still slightly noticeable. ( i swapped my 17" to a 15" to see ).

all this leads me to belive there is a slight defect in the hub/ race/ or bearing some how.. im not too familiar with the hub aspect, so if anyone can provide me with some info on what could be the cause of this issue in that area, im all ears. anyone with any knowledge or similar experience with hub issues please post. thanks in advance.

btw- the shimmy becomes noticable at about 60 mph (give or take), and is more noticable with increased speed. if i swap to the smaller rim, i belive it becomes slightly noticable at about 75 or 80.
how are your axles? do you get any wheel hopping, where the car feels like it is hopping doing down the road? I just chnaged my axle/hub/bearing cause i was having the same problem and the bearing and hub got eaten up. Just a though
Old 03-25-2006, 11:08 PM

axles r fine from what i can tell.. when i had them replaced there was no difference.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:21 PM

where did you get ur axles? i had some shimmy in the front end of my car and it turns out that axles my mechanic got were less than 1/4 of an inch longer than they should be. get the compressed length checked. make sure it matches with stock specs.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:22 PM

where did you get ur axles? i had some shimmy in the front end of my car and it turns out that axles my mechanic got were less than 1/4 of an inch longer than they should be. get the compressed length checked. make sure it matches with stock specs.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Put the car up on a lift. Have somebody in it, start it, put it in drive and let the front wheels spin. Watch carefully for any radial or latteral run out.
Swap rims, see if the run out continues. If it does, you have a bent hub.
Put a new hub & bearing on the side with the run out.
Problem solved.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Put the car up on a lift. Have somebody in it, start it, put it in drive and let the front wheels spin. Watch carefully for any radial or latteral run out.
Swap rims, see if the run out continues. If it does, you have a bent hub.
Put a new hub & bearing on the side with the run out.
Problem solved.
are those the only two things i would need to buy? just the hub and the bearing? i thought there was a race and seal or something else like that in there..
also anyone know of where the cheapeast place to buy these parts would be?
Old 03-26-2006, 12:13 PM

DID you ever consider a bent wheel.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:36 PM

Man, people just aren't reading the freakin post... cmon guys it'll only take 30 seconds.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:16 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

i paid $140 for the hub from nissan, and $35 for the bearing at autozone and a shop put it in for me.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by TNmax24
DID you ever consider a bent wheel.
not that i dont apperciate your effort.. but do you really think id invest all this time, and few thousand dollars without knowing if i had a bent rim?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
i paid $140 for the hub from nissan, and $35 for the bearing at autozone and a shop put it in for me.
140 from nissan?? that actually sounds pretty cheap to me.. i would have imagined it being alot more. if i fess up and buy the hub and bearing i dont know what to do if this doesnt fix the problem.. theres literally nothing else i can change.