4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

suspension install checklist help??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 03:16 PM

suspension install checklist help??

hey everyone i'm about to do my first suspension install on my gen 4. i'm getting a set of preowned illuminas and s-tech with new camber bolts.

i was wondering what u all suggest i need in addition to the numerous tools

1.for e.g do i need spare bolts just in case i srtip any?

2.should i soak some of the bolts with p.b blaster the night before?

3.is it really necc to purchase new dustboots and where woulkd i get them in time for this sat install?

4.is it also neccesarry to get new bumpstops and strut mounts if so which ones would you guys suggest i replace front only, the rear, or all four. and where could i purchase them and have them in time for my sat. install.

5. where do i position in spring on the strut are there notches that mark where i place them or what?

6. the kit comes with a camber bolts, is it neccesary to install them i am using the s-tech springs, the previous onwer didn't however i'm very concerned with uneven treadwear?

Please advice me fellow orgers and any other suggestions u think i might be helpful with your experiences that would make the process flow easier would help as well.

thanks

Tim
Old 03-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Make sure the word OUT stamped on the upper spring perch on the front assembly faces outwards or lines up with the struts lower mounting flange.

An impact gun will be your best friend during the process.

The rear assemblies don't need spring compressors. Just blast off the center nut and you get a slight pop, nothing major at all. Saves a lot of time.

Replace your strut boots with KYB's P/N's SB103 and SB108. They have a shorter bump stop, which you'll need for your S-Tech setup.

S-Techs are low, be ready for a harsh ride as there isn't very much suspension travel.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:31 PM

thanks, i heard the s-tech ins'at as harsh as the ebach ride, i've experienced that with agx combo and it rides real rough, u think s-tech will ride harder that the ebachs?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:19 PM

had a new ? on #4
Old 03-28-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

you dont need to replace anything if its not worn out. the rear mounts should be fine, but sometimes the fronts wear out since they have rubber in them. i do suggest buying a pair of long travel rear mounts for some added travel. they arent necessary, but they sure help. i wouldnt buy the KYB boots beacuse they rip rather quickly. if your boots are in one peice leave them be. i bought some rancho dust boots from VIP for $3 eash and they are perfect for the rear. trim the bump stops no more than 1/2 of their total legth. the s techs are not as stiff as the eibachs, but it really doesnt matter. you will be on the bump stops like crazy which are higher rate than either spring. also i cant tell you to buy new nuts or bolts because who knows what condition your parts are in. i myself have pretty much reused all the stock parts with all my installs. i probalby have changed suspensions more than anyone on here. the only troublesome bolt/nut i have ever had was the ones holding the rear strut/spring assembly together. the piston nut was so rusted it broke the strut. so if you are reusing the stock mounts you may want to hit them with PB blaster.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
you dont need to replace anything if its not worn out. the rear mounts should be fine, but sometimes the fronts wear out since they have rubber in them. i do suggest buying a pair of long travel rear mounts for some added travel. they arent necessary, but they sure help. i wouldnt buy the KYB boots beacuse they rip rather quickly. if your boots are in one peice leave them be. i bought some rancho dust boots from VIP for $3 eash and they are perfect for the rear. trim the bump stops no more than 1/2 of their total legth. the s techs are not as stiff as the eibachs, but it really doesnt matter. you will be on the bump stops like crazy which are higher rate than either spring. also i cant tell you to buy new nuts or bolts because who knows what condition your parts are in. i myself have pretty much reused all the stock parts with all my installs. i probalby have changed suspensions more than anyone on here. the only troublesome bolt/nut i have ever had was the ones holding the rear strut/spring assembly together. the piston nut was so rusted it broke the strut. so if you are reusing the stock mounts you may want to hit them with PB blaster.

thank you that is some really good helpful info
Old 03-29-2006, 07:40 PM

anyone else have any helpful hints i had a chance to inspect my oem suspension currently on the car and it appears as if the rear dustboots are shot can anyoen suggest a decent brand a fitment for my new combo?
Old 03-30-2006, 04:43 PM

bump bump...............
Old 04-11-2006, 03:59 PM

now i'm a lil hesistant about s-tech bc everyone is talking about axles for tie rods bc it is a low drop is this true can any s-tech owners tell me their experience bc if this is the case i may go with eibach
Old 04-11-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

some with sprints have had the axles go bad. thats a 2.0 drop. i can only assume the 2.2 of teins is worse if not the same. its best not to go any lower than 1.7 (progress). h techs, H&R, tokico, and eibach are the better choices.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
some with sprints have had the axles go bad. thats a 2.0 drop. i can only assume the 2.2 of teins is worse if not the same. its best not to go any lower than 1.7 (progress). h techs, H&R, tokico, and eibach are the better choices.
damn now i think i'm gonna sell my s-techs and get the pro kit anyone selling any? damnit this has pushed my install back like more time now