4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Simple custom exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Simple custom exhaust question

Ok so im about to get a custom dual unresonated exhaust (it will be very loud) sometime in the end of april but im going to get the mufflers for it sometime within the next week or two, and i ran into this auction on ebay. It's for 2 dynomax superturbo mufflers with offset in/offset out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dynom...spagenameZWDVW

I do realize that i will have to hammer in/cut out my spare tire but i already considered that and its fine. What im wondering is if i'll be able to fit these mufflers in there. I know round mufflers fit for dual applications but i don't want round...im thinking that if these are offset in/offset out, they would also fit if i tell the shop to position them so the outlets are toward the outer edge of the car so i wont have to mess with the bumper supports or the black box.

This is the only exhaust mod until a VQ35 swap in like 2 years, i wont even be adding a y pipe or anything, so the exhaust will be really deep and pretty loud, and i'll be fine with that.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

It wont be loud if you do not have an aftermarket y-pipe/test pipe.

I had a straight through ( no resonator) exhaust with a striaght through muffler before my y-pipe and it was barely notcieable at all.

IMO it's a waste of time and money since you will not see any gains from it.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
It wont be loud if you do not have an aftermarket y-pipe/test pipe.

I had a straight through ( no resonator) exhaust with a striaght through muffler before my y-pipe and it was barely notcieable at all.

IMO it's a waste of time and money since you will not see any gains from it.
Im not doing it for gains, im not even gonna bother with anything performance oriented, i'll just save all the money i would spend and drop a vq35 when im ready.

Thats really weird that yours wasn't loud because my friend has a straight through unresonated exhaust and its very loud but VERY nice sounding....i even had a resonated exhaust with straight through muffler (on my previous 4th gen) and it was a lot more than barely noticeble. Neither one of us has any other exhaust mods.

Anyways though, do you think i could fit those 2 mufflers? I could get a custom SS pressure bent dual catback for like 200 including welding everything.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 4x4Max
Anyways though, do you think i could fit those 2 mufflers?
Not without some modifications.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:51 PM

Not without some modifications.
What in specific? The spare tire metal will be out and i'll replace it with sheetmetal, so there will be all that space. My friend's round mufflers fit no problem, and this is offset outlet, i dotn really know how it would be different because the space will be free towards the middle of the car. Its hard to explain what im trying to say, but what modifications would i need to do?
Old 03-29-2006, 07:53 PM
What was that?

It should fit as long as you bang the spare tire well enough. Just get it done. Exhaust shops can work miracles.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:47 PM
dot dot dot ...

What in specific? The spare tire metal will be out and i'll replace it with sheetmetal, so there will be all that space. My friend's round mufflers fit no problem, and this is offset outlet, i dotn really know how it would be different because the space will be free towards the middle of the car. Its hard to explain what im trying to say, but what modifications would i need to do?
Seems as if you know what you're doing.. so stop posting and do it.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:20 AM

Yeah I agree. If you think you know what you're doing then just do it. If you want them to fit then fit them. I posted a question about two mufflers a while back and got the same posts. Everyone told me there would be more modding then you think if I wanted to put mufflers on both sides. Not worth it really. I'm doing 80 series flowmaster after the cat then running the pipes to both sides. Much easier and barely any modifications needed. But as I've been told, the exhaust won't sound as deep without a y-pipe. If you're going for no performance gains then what is the real point of the exhaust? Just to be loud?
Old 03-30-2006, 08:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

too much work,probably end up paying more then the popular exhaust out there thats made for the maxima.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:12 AM

Seems as if you know what you're doing.. so stop posting and do it.
I'm posting because some people with more experience than me may have some input on how i could position the mufflers and what i would need to modify.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:25 AM

I'm not too sure about what everyone is telling you on this forum, but you DO NOT NEED a Y-pipe, mufflers, or even to render your spare tire compartment useless. Just a good mechanic. I will post pics later if you want but I dualed out my Maxima last week, and it sounds like a small V8. It more a Europian sound than anything else. But it sounds really good. Its only loud when you get on the gas too. Let me know if you want pics.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:57 AM

Yea what kinda exhuast did you do?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Night_Warrior
I'm not too sure about what everyone is telling you on this forum, but you DO NOT NEED a Y-pipe, mufflers, or even to render your spare tire compartment useless. Just a good mechanic. I will post pics later if you want but I dualed out my Maxima last week, and it sounds like a small V8. It more a Europian sound than anything else. But it sounds really good. Its only loud when you get on the gas too. Let me know if you want pics.
Yea pics would be nice, you peaked some interest. The other problem i could think of with useing offset mufflers is if your exhaust tip is going to line up in the same place on the pasenger side so your factory cutout in your bumper don't look
Old 03-30-2006, 12:41 PM

It would be great if i could see some pics. What kind of mufflers did you use?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:41 PM

Thats just cutting the bumper in the right spot and creating the pipes right.

Im guessing the mufflers must be straight styles if there was no modding being done towards the bumper. Thats why Im going with the 80 series further back.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:38 PM

If you use small round mufflers they will fit alot better and you will have more of a choice on locations. Those big oval mufflers will be a tight fit with the charcol canister on the drivers' side even with the spare removed. The CE kits that use an oval muffler for dual setup only have one muffler with a tip. It has another pipe coming out the back of the muffler and around the drivers' side with a matching tip. Every seup with two mufflers that I have seen used small round mufflers to fit them at the bumper on each side. Keeping the spare tire area will make it harder to install the way you want. Of course you can go around it but it will take more bends, decreasing performace, the more bends you have.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:56 PM

Alright guys, sorry it took me so long. Anyway, I don't know what the rules are for your state as far as emissions or even if you care. But the converter is the only thing I have on the piping, and thats just to keep the noise down. I may go for with a different set-up when I put the headers and Y-pipe in, but this will do for now. I know the looks are not up to par yet. But I am going for performance before looks. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:11 PM

Yeah this is close to my idea. only difference is that with the 80 series I plan to use it has dual outlet. This will allow me to run two seperate pipes right down the sides and hopfully eliminate the extra bends.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:20 PM

Alright guys, sorry it took me so long. Anyway, I don't know what the rules are for your state as far as emissions or even if you care. But the converter is the only thing I have on the piping, and thats just to keep the noise down. I may go for with a different set-up when I put the headers and Y-pipe in, but this will do for now. I know the looks are not up to par yet. But I am going for performance before looks. Feel free to ask me any questions.
Damn bro, looks clean and looks like they did a very good job with the piping, but...no muffler??? That must be so loud! If you have heard it from the outside, does it sound raspy at higher RPM? Now i'm really interested in this cause i want this car to be loud, and this would be a great way to save money on mufflers if its not TOO loud or raspy. Can you possibly give a detailed discription of the sound/feeling? I appreciate it, thanks.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:32 PM

Damn bro, looks clean and looks like they did a very good job with the piping, but...no muffler??? That must be so loud! If you have heard it from the outside, does it sound raspy at higher RPM? Now i'm really interested in this cause i want this car to be loud, and this would be a great way to save money on mufflers if its not TOO loud or raspy. Can you possibly give a detailed discription of the sound/feeling? I appreciate it, thanks.
All in all the car sounds great. When idling, it has a low and quiet rumble, but when you get into it, it sounds like a small V8. Its sounds like a Europian V8 rather than raspy. It definitely does not have pissed off bumble bee sound. There is a little cabin noise, but not much, in my opinion. The converter is what is saving me from being ridiculously loud. When I am idling or off the gas, the Maxima is almost as quiet as when it was stock. Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Wild for Width

But I am going for performance before looks. Feel free to ask me any questions.
More bends + more unecessary weight = performance?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Wild for Width

BTW add a y-pipe and it will be LOUD, not to mention crackling and sputtering every time you ease off the throttle.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Fr33way
BTW add a y-pipe and it will be LOUD, not to mention crackling and sputtering every time you ease off the throttle.
More bends = Easier air flow,
More unnecessary weight = 5 - 10lbs (Minus the weight of would-be mufflers)

Given this information:

Yes, Easier air flow + 5 - 10lbs (Minus the weight of would-be mufflers) = Performance (In addition to this, I can keep my fifth Murano wheel in its designated spot.)

Correct and thank you, the Y-pipe will be louder. But given my IQ is somewhere in the triple digits, I will discern if the Maxima is too loud and respond accordingly
Old 03-31-2006, 08:18 AM

How does more bends make better flow, are you kidding?? Take a hair dryer to a staright piece of pipe and do the same on a piece with several bends. The air will come out faster with less drag out of the straight pipe. How could you think more bends is better????
Old 03-31-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tim96I30t
How does more bends make better flow, are you kidding?? Take a hair dryer to a staright piece of pipe and do the same on a piece with several bends. The air will come out faster with less drag out of the straight pipe. How could you think more bends is better????
Yes, I know. What I meant is that more bends is better than the alternative -- straight pipe with a muffler. Which would also mean that you would have to smash in you spare tire compartment.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:43 AM
Hooooooonda.....

why not use a single in, dual out muffler and run a pipe accross the rear coming out on the other end of the bumper? People have done that before.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
why not use a single in, dual out muffler and run a pipe accross the rear coming out on the other end of the bumper? People have done that before.
I thought about doing that, but the muffler would have to pretty small and its a little more expensive. In addition, a muffler would be a hindrance to the air flow. All in all as long as you keep the converter on, it's no louder than a fart can off a civic.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:05 PM

That is a prettygood job on dual setup, but I'm not sure why I think the Max looks better with a single outlet & large tip. I guess if that car was dropped with a full body kit, it may look better...