4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No reverse lights or A/C???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 06:31 PM

No reverse lights or A/C???????

Alright guys here is the story, my A/C doesnt work at all, basically the car doesnt rev up to about 1000rpm like its supposed to when the a/c turns on or when i put the front defrost on. I guess its the fan or whatever but any suggestions on what could be wrong would be great?????? I dont feel like paying 80 bucks just to find out whats wrong with my car and have absolutely nothing done

Another thing, my reverse lights havent worked since i put a different 5spd in, they worked in the beginning but they just dont work no more. I checked the bulbs and fuse, everything looks good, i dont know what else it could be, any suggestions????????

Im a newbie guys, so sorry in advance if your sick of answering these questions but any help is appreciated
Old 04-01-2006, 08:08 PM
No more Maximas...

The reverse lights are driven off of a sensor on the trans bellhousing, so check down there for loose connectors or exposed wiring.

As far as the AC, does the clutch on the front of the compressor engage when you press the AC button and turn the fan up?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

1) Your engine should not race when your A/C is turned on. Idle speed should remain constant regardless of load. Your A/C has probably lost it's refrigerant charge and the system will no longer engauge the compressor. Have it serviced by a qualified A/C mechanic. Mention to them that your engine races a bit when the a/c is running. Perhaps they can adjust your IACV to better control that.

2) Check the switch on the tranny that activates your reverse lights. Perhaps you forgot to put that plug back in, or the switch is bad.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:48 AM

No the clutch doesnt engage when the ac button is pressed at all, so im totally clueless about that. Thanks for the reverse lights info, im gonna go work on the car this afternoon for that.

As for the engine racing, i dont mean that the idle goes nuts, its just when u hear the compressor the revs go up to just under 1000rpm, and my car doesnt do that at all, so im guessing its something with the compressor, but really i have no clue.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:54 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Keatz
No the clutch doesnt engage when the ac button is pressed at all, so im totally clueless about that. Thanks for the reverse lights info, im gonna go work on the car this afternoon for that.
Then it's as njmaxseltd said, there isn't enough refrigerant in the system to allow the clutch to engage.

I'll assume it's similar to my mom's '98 Dakota - if there isn't enough pressure in the system, it won't engage, but you can bypass it to test. You can take off the harness that reads that pressure information and just jump two of the terminals on the connector to bypass the actual pressure sensor and it should engage from there.

How to test that on the Max, I'm not sure of the location or pinout of the connector for that.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

your back up light/ neutral position switch is bad.

if the a/c system is low on refrigerant it wont engauge the clutch. go buy a refill kit with a gauge and check it out. if you have a leak refilling it may not help. also the idle will raise by a small amount when the a/c is on. there is a fast idle control solenoid on the IACV for the a/c and another for the power steering.