4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just put in Raxle, now vibration on accel.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 03:23 PM

Just put in Raxle, now vibration on accel.

Okay, so we just installed a passenger side Raxle (thanks Akumachan, still owe you that meal) and everything seems fine.... except now I get a vibration on acceleration--it's almost like you're hitting the rumble strip on the side of a highway or something, except more subdued. This is, of course, only on acceleration so it's not me actually hitting a rumble strip. This has me pretty concerned, we toarked everything down right, don't think we forgot anything in the install...

BTW, how much are we talking in terms of price for a gear selection sensor?
Old 05-06-2006, 04:17 PM

dude, i got the same problem!!!!!!! i think its like my wheel bearing. I replaced the axle, didn't soudn too bad, replaced it, and now its going nuts. I have yet still to figure it out. But check out my thread, pretty helpful info there...but hey, i'm gonna be checking on this thread too http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=469954
Old 05-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Project Ruby......

Hmm interesting. This must be a defected Raxle. Sounds like the inner joint or axle shaft is shot.

When I had to replace my axles I went with AutoZone rebuilts. I had TREMENDOUS vibration as I accelerated. It vibrated so hard that my shifter looked like it was well...........a sex toy

I bought Raxles and haven't had a problem. I would call Marty up and tell him that you have a vibration under acceleration and you think it is the inner joint or axle shaft is bad. See what he says.

But that is definetly what it is. My Autozone axles had so much play in the axle shaft it was ridiculous. My Raxles don't even budge.

And if your slammed any autoparts store axle will not hold up to the abuse of being lowered on coilovers. I'm riding on JICs dropped about 2.5" I'd say and the Raxles hold up fine.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:59 PM

Thanks guys. But no, it's not a vibration like a bad axle. It's much higher frequency than that. Like I said it's like hitting a rumble strip on the side of a highway... it's like a hum that you can feel. I also don't think that I had the problem before I replaced the axle.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Maintenance Monster

The gear position sensor is only $25. It's also very easy to break, which is why I don't use it for a drain opening.

Are you absolutely sure the axle clicked into the differential completely? Did the wheel torque on nice and smoothly? Could there be grit or something between the brake rotor and hub that has the wheel runout going mad?

Dave
Old 05-06-2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
The gear position sensor is only $25. It's also very easy to break, which is why I don't use it for a drain opening.

Are you absolutely sure the axle clicked into the differential completely? Did the wheel torque on nice and smoothly? Could there be grit or something between the brake rotor and hub that has the wheel runout going mad?

Dave
I didn't check the axle 100%, I figured that if it went in and fit into the support mount perfectly, it would be okay... there was also some sand on the washer that fits between the hub and the axle nut, but we washed that sucker off pretty well. Could an incorrectly torqued axle nut cause something like this? The torque wrench we were using didn't go past 140 ft-lbs, so we basically just screwed it on as hard as we could.

Well... Rob did. *cough*

Does this sound like it could be damaging to the car if I drive it more? I need to use the car for the next few days...

On the plus side, when we drained out the tranny fluid it looked exactly the same as the stuff we put in.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

could be the improper torque, or it could be that the axle is out of balance

if you wanna get back at someone put sticky weights on their axles and theyll replace 1/2 the car before they can figure out its the axles

Old 05-07-2006, 05:05 PM

Yeah I'm not sure, I really want to get this solved because right now it's the only mechanical problem with my car and it's worrying me as I have NO idea what it is...

So I'll try to retorque the axle nut if I can.... but in the meantime, anyone have any experience with anything like this? dgeesaman, got any more insight?

Bump for insight... haha. Thanks guys.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Maintenance Monster

Vibration in the axle will beat on the diff carrier bearings and wheel bearings more than normal, although I don't know if it's a major problem.

Now that I read again this is only a passenger axle, then it must be seated fully. If the bearing is bolted in properly under the engine, then the axle is in the diff and can't come loose.

Don't have any other ideas, except to look around.

Dave