4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Possible RSB rubbing issue...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Shift_3.0

Possible RSB rubbing issue...

When I drive over bumps there is this extremely high pitch sound like metal rubbing on metal. I thought it was coming from the cabin but I checked all possible places. I thought it was the suspension but when I rock the car there is no sound. Its coming from somewhere behind me and Im thinking its my RSB rubbing against something. Has anyone experienced something like this?

This sound is driving me insane btw...
Old 05-18-2006, 07:25 PM
SHIFT_up

i also have a metal on metal scrap sound, i think it's coming from behind me aswell. I'm thinking the rear caliper froze or something.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:52 PM

I just solved my problem today: Dont know if it helps, but i was getting a clunking noise like something hitting something, whenever i took a turn or went over bumps. I took out my back interior seats, and theres this piece of metal that connects to the armrest with two long screws. I took out that whole piece (it was about eight bolts) So when, I took that out, there was this open space between the trunk and back.

What I believe is that my RSB caused so much stiffness, so that piece of metal was forced to move or bend causing the knocking sound. Finally, it went away, thank GOD! Hope this helps.

I still have a squeaking noise coming from the back, but I think I have to grease the sway bar bushings.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Shift_3.0

Originally Posted by MaximA StyLeZ
I just solved my problem today: Dont know if it helps, but i was getting a clunking noise like something hitting something, whenever i took a turn or went over bumps. I took out my back interior seats, and theres this piece of metal that connects to the armrest with two long screws. I took out that whole piece (it was about eight bolts) So when, I took that out, there was this open space between the trunk and back.

What I believe is that my RSB caused so much stiffness, so that piece of metal was forced to move or bend causing the knocking sound. Finally, it went away, thank GOD! Hope this helps.

I still have a squeaking noise coming from the back, but I think I have to grease the sway bar bushings.
Its definetaly a squeaking sound that I have I guess Ill WD-40 the bushings and look around for possible culprits.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:08 PM

no, i dont suggest wd-40 on the bushings. Get white lithuim grease from autozone or sumplace like that.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:13 PM
I support for what?

If you look under your car you will notice a bracket running about a foot long under the exhaust in front of the axle beam. Your exhaust is hitting it when you hit a bump. My hanger is rusted off so I get alot of noise over bumps. I have come to conclude it is this bracket and exhaust hitting and my hanger is rusted off right there in that pic so i get alot of movement.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Shift_3.0

I have a brand new catback and I remember the sound being there even before having the new exhaust. I have a feeling its the RSB rubbing in some way, nevertheless I will check everything out when I paint my calipers. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
If you look under your car you will notice a bracket running about a foot long under the exhaust in front of the axle beam. Your exhaust is hitting it when you hit a bump. My hanger is rusted off so I get alot of noise over bumps. I have come to conclude it is this bracket and exhaust hitting and my hanger is rusted off right there in that pic so i get alot of movement.
Mine is currently lowered down using washers since that hanger isn't in use at the moment due to a non-stock b-pipe. Eliminates a lot of the squeaking, vibrating, and rattling but if the pipe isn't secure it can still move and hit the exhaust tunnel.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:08 PM
I support for what?

Originally Posted by devilz05
I have a brand new catback and I remember the sound being there even before having the new exhaust. I have a feeling its the RSB rubbing in some way, nevertheless I will check everything out when I paint my calipers. Thanks!
If you are lowered then it is the exhaust hitting the bracket. As soon as I dropped my car I started getting the sound..
Old 05-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Ichiban King

well I keep coming back in here to see the deliberation, but I still dont see a flat out example of a fix. Its night time so I'm not going outside, but is that bracket vital to anything? If not just take if off? I imagine it is vital to something, but I mean if it is would new hangers or hose clamps come into play here?..
Old 05-19-2006, 09:22 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

The sound like a few others said is your cat back banging on that bar. To fix it, replace all your exhaust bushings. Thoes rubber things that hold up the exhaust, you can see one in that pic. Just replace the bushings and you should be fine.